Best canister stove??

I tend to run mine about 3/4 throttle with the SOTO Jetboil Cup. I can run it full throttle and hardly any head or flames come up the sides, but it still is more efficient for me to run it at 3/4. That big wide flame of the SOTO goes right up onto those fins of the Jetboil cup and really pushes the head into that pot, it's pretty nice.

charvey9

WKR
Dremel and one of their small metal cutoff wheels is the ticket, then grind any sharp edges carefully with a file. Don't try to pry or loosen the connections on the cup by bending anything because the chance of pulling the metal all the way through the cup is highly probable. I know that many people have had problems with the fins on the Sol Ti cups melting off. I always make certain that there's water in the cup before the SOTO is fired up. I don't even risk trying to start the SOTO and then quickly add water to the cup. Two seasons and there is zero sign of any fin melting and I think part of that is because I'm religious about keep water in the cup before heat is applied.

I've been running the cup for two years also, and have not had any problems. Always fill with water first. Do you run any kind of lid on the cup, and if not how does that affect boil times?

I run a carbon fiber Rota Locura lid on mine. Seems to boil about the same as a standard Jetboil lid.

I removed my foam insulation because the flame from my soto goes outside the cup a little bit and burns the crap out of the jetboil neoprene sleeve thing. doesn't smell too great either.

Does the foam go off/on easy? I think my setup is a hair lighter than yours (BRS-3000T + Toaks 750ml cup/pot), but I don't have the fins, and (after crunching the numbers) having them is worth it in fuel weight savings if I need a small canister to go more than 3 or 4 days.

Also, the Jetboil system is nice in that the pot is pretty much affixed to the stove so it can't tip over, do you get the same effect with your setup?

16Bore

WKR
I have a hard time wanting to monkey with a JetBoil and think the AL Sol is probably the best of the bunch.

sojourner

Lil-Rokslider
I use the Optimus Crux Lite and the Olicamp STX pot. Been really happy with this setup. I think right around 50$ together so pretty cheap and my stove has been used for about 6 years with no problems. It's really light weight and boils fast but I think it might not be the best for simmering or other cooking. I only boil water with it though.

Does the foam go off/on easy? I think my setup is a hair lighter than yours (BRS-3000T + Toaks 750ml cup/pot), but I don't have the fins, and (after crunching the numbers) having them is worth it in fuel weight savings if I need a small canister to go more than 3 or 4 days.

Also, the Jetboil system is nice in that the pot is pretty much affixed to the stove so it can't tip over, do you get the same effect with your setup?

Yeah the foam isn't fastened to the cup in anyway. just slides on and off.

I just cut 3 slits into the ring that would lock onto the jetboil

I kept the neoprene sleeve on mine for 2 reasons:
1) I strongly believe that one of the reasons my titanium Snow Peak pots are so inefficient is that they lose a lot of heat to the ambient air as it blows past it; convection (air) is more efficient than radiation (flame). Yes they are light, but easily eat the difference in fuel over the course of a day.
2) The color changing material on the side helps ensure that you don't waste fuel on water that's already boiling.

As far as the locking issue, most of these hacks of using a Jetboil with a different stove involve cutting slots into or simply removing the locking ring. As such you don't really get this benefit. My Snow Peak Giga Power however does give me a little bit of this in that the pot supports are not perfectly symmetrical and since I didn't cut the slits super wide it creates a bit of pressure gripping onto it a bit. That being said, I have never tipped my stove over and if I did I think I'd rather just have the pot go spilling water than have the stove go with it. However, making it a rigid system does lower the center of mass and therefore making the system more stable.

I kept the neoprene sleeve on mine for 2 reasons:
1) I strongly believe that one of the reasons my titanium Snow Peak pots are so inefficient is that they lose a lot of heat to the ambient air as it blows past it; convection (air) is more efficient than radiation (flame). Yes they are light, but easily eat the difference in fuel over the course of a day.
2) The color changing material on the side helps ensure that you don't waste fuel on water that's already boiling.

As far as the locking issue, most of these hacks of using a Jetboil with a different stove involve cutting slots into or simply removing the locking ring. As such you don't really get this benefit. My Snow Peak Giga Power however does give me a little bit of this in that the pot supports are not perfectly symmetrical and since I didn't cut the slits super wide it creates a bit of pressure gripping onto it a bit. That being said, I have never tipped my stove over and if I did I think I'd rather just have the pot go spilling water than have the stove go with it. However, making it a rigid system does lower the center of mass and therefore making the system more stable.

I always cook in my vestibule so not out in the open wind, but still you make some valid points on it being an insulator, i may try that. Also by reducing the flame size by running it at 3/4 throttle like snowcamoman, it won't melt my sleeve and will be more efficient in theory.

I really try to get my water and let it "warm up" a little bit in my pack or just out in the open. By changing that delta T, there's a huge benefit to fuel consumption. I tend to warm up my water a lot in the DuoMid.

I bought the CampChief version I think it's called the storm. It worked even better than they bragged. I'd highly recommend.

hooker

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a big Snow Peak fan. Giga Power served me well for prolly 10 years. My son uses it now. Igniter still works perfect, but we only boil two cups of water a day(a piece) so it should. I've been using the Lite Max for prolly 4 years now. Pretty tough for me to pass on 1.9 oz. But that being said I'm kinda "gumpin" for a micro Rocket.. The original is a classic in my mind. I find it funny, the Rocket part. :) they are loud.

I'm sure water can be boiled faster than the Snow Peaks. Bullet proof IME..

DenRuyter

Lil-Rokslider
For what its worth, I've been going between the MSR Reactor 1.0 and the Primus OmniFuel II and the large SnowPeak cup so it fits inside it. Each has its benefits and I like each for their simplicity. I really like that the Primus can also use other fuels in case one isnt readily available.