First Lite SEAK Rain Jacket Review, by Brock Akers

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
attachment.php

This is about the third review I've read on the SEAK jacket. I'm liking it more and more. Having shredded a few pieces of rain gear over the years, maybe ounce-counting in this department is really for the flatlanders?

Give it a read and post up your thoughts/experiences.

First Lite SEAK Rain Jacket Review

Last edited:

Huntfun

FNG
Based on what I read, it does not appear you put the durability of this rain jacket to the test. Appears it will stand up to days on end rain, which is really good. How do you feel this rain jacket will hold up in a back country of AK going through the brush and other rough back country vegetation in hunting situations?

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Based on what I read, it does not appear you put the durability of this rain jacket to the test. Appears it will stand up to days on end rain, which is really good. How do you feel this rain jacket will hold up in a back country of AK going through the brush and other rough back country vegetation in hunting situations?

You are absolutely right, The lasting durability of this coat was not tested. IMO, the only way to properly test that is to wear it until it fails. Fortunately for the little bit of brush busting I have done, that has not happened. With that being said, based off of the time I have with it, I think it would hold up well in rough vegetation.

I will keep this thread updated on the coat though. If failure does happen, I will let you know.

Brock

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Been wearing one since last spring, bear hunting. 30 plus days or so. It's seen nasty brush and serious down pours. It's hasn't leaked, ripped or torn. Tough jacket.
4d2a82679a1bc0f6e8e11457f6e6a5d7.jpg

North Idaho rain forests:)
ddfc7bf46472fe9528eb9a4b94bc13ca.jpg
Kodiak

Isn't it a 3.5 layer shell? If so, that has to be an extremely durable jacket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huntfun

FNG
For anyone who has experience, how does the SEAK compare to Arc'teryx LEAF Alpha rain gear? Is it as durable or better? The Arc'teryx LEAF Alpha I have seems like it would be bullet proof for the brush and vegetation in AK. I am headed to AK fall of 2017 for a DIY Moose & Caribou hunt and I want to make sure I have the best rain gear that can stand up to AK back country. I also have KUIU rain gear and I think it will be torn apart going through what I will be going through in AK.

Med

FNG
Do you think the length of the Seak would be uncomfortable to wear over or inside waders?

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Med, I can answer that one while we wait for Brock.

chest waders, yes, I think you could wear them inside our out.

hip waders, probably not if raining much as the jacket might funnel into the waders.

Brockster, what was your experience?

Med

FNG
Thx Robby. I had a Sitka wading jacket that I recently sold because I need a smaller size. The Seak caught my eye and honestly the onlinechest bumping and wiener rubbing about how fantastic the Sitka brand is has kinda turned me off. I pretty much primarily hunt waterfowl and want to make sure it would work for me as I pretty much always hunt in waders.

Glory

Lil-Rokslider
Glory, please explain your comment. Not sure what I missed

Over the years many of us have shelled out good $ on rain jackets that claimed to be able to handle the rain we experience in SE. We all come back to PVC. Hope this jacket lives up to it's name, but as I said, we've been burned before.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Glory, thanks for clarifying. That's what I needed.

I get your point and agree that PVC is waterproof/bombproof but in the Western backcountry where steep hikes and sweating are the norm, we have to balance waterproof and breathable. And we certainly don't get the amount of rain you do.

I have still have a PVC coat that is over a decade old and in good shape, but for anything more than horseback riding, it's just not breathable enough.

Yup, I can't wear PVC for the lack of breathability. Good Goretex has worked well for me.

I'm interested in the SEAK.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do you think the length of the Seak would be uncomfortable to wear over or inside waders?

Med,

The SEAK was a good length for the hip waders imo. I could see a potential for it running into your waders however I never encountered that. I can't comment on chest waders but I wouldn't hesitate to wear it over them.

Med

FNG
Thanks for the info Brock. I think I'm going to try to track down a vendor that has one in stock. Really kinda want to put my paws on one before letting the cash go. Thx again.

JP100

WKR
Good to see!!
Ive been eyeing one of these up.

To those guys that have one:
What are the cuffs like? neoprene? Do they seal up well??

Do the hand pockets have drain holes for when they fill with water??

How fast do the jacket dry out when wet?

Really need a new jacket for mt hunting here and looking at this, Kuiu Yukon, one of the Sitkas or a Huntech one.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good to see!!
Ive been eyeing one of these up.

To those guys that have one:
What are the cuffs like? neoprene? Do they seal up well??

Do the hand pockets have drain holes for when they fill with water??

How fast do the jacket dry out when wet?

Really need a new jacket for mt hunting here and looking at this, Kuiu Yukon, one of the Sitkas or a Huntech one.

JP,

Cuffs on the jacket I had were neoprene but they changed it for production. The cuffs are now a velcro strap. They seal up well (vapor jacket I have has the velcro straps). Coat dries quickly too. I'll have to check for drain holes in the pockets, I don't recall off the top of my head.