What are you editing with?

Jimss

WKR
I've been using photoshop for editing photos for years. I used elements for video for quite a while but just switched over to Cyberlink Power Media Player 14. It is pretty simple to use and so far has worked well.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
For photos Lightroom is awesome and simple to use. Premiere Pro for video is pretty much the industry standard. Easy to figure out too with YouTube instruction videos. Computer wise I'd go with mac if you can. We use PC's at work but they are souped up and we still have problems with them that modern macs wouldn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

colonel00

WKR
I subscribe to the Adobe Photography Plan. For $10/mo you get Lightroom and Photoshop along with a bunch of mobile stuff I've never used. While I'm not the biggest fan of subscription services, this is a pretty good deal for continued updates of the software. I don't use Photoshop much but I'm slowly easing into it.

Lightroom and Photoshop | Adobe Creative Cloud Photography plan

As far as a computer, any decent computer will do but it may bog down a bit with Lightroom depending on the filesizes you are working with and other factors. Get more RAM and I put the files I'm currently working with on SSD drives so they can read and write very fast.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm curious how some of you peeps are getting any song you want on a video. I keep running into the copyright laws.

colonel00

WKR
I haven't done any videos recently but from what I remember, if you have copyrighted material in a video, you cannot monetize the video and sometimes it won't play on mobile devices. However, other than that, you just acknowledge that it has copyrighted material in the video and it's fine.

maverick

Lil-Rokslider
I just subscribed last month to the Adobe photo plan for $10 a month. For video I use Vegas. I got in when Magix acquired it from Sony. They had a deal going at the time. $200 for the pro version with a free upgrade to 14 when it came out. Before that I had Sony movie studio. Also have a copy of Cyberlink that works fine.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm curious how some of you peeps are getting any song you want on a video. I keep running into the copyright laws.

Google "royalty free music", and websites will pop up that'll work for non commercial use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
FURMAN

FURMAN

WKR
I guess I should have specified I am only concerned with video.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
You gotta pay big bucks to use major songs in videos. Anywhere from 2k and up

Even take Luke and Becca's Packraft video, they're using newer country songs and I doubt they paid money to do so. I should specify I'm not planning on selling videos or anything like that. Just making hunt videos for family and friends.

colonel00

WKR
Even take Luke and Becca's Packraft video, they're using newer country songs and I doubt they paid money to do so. I should specify I'm not planning on selling videos or anything like that. Just making hunt videos for family and friends.

As I mentioned previously, unless things have changed recently, you can use any music you want in a video. However, Youtube will detect if it is copyrighted material and you will have to acknowledge that it is. From there, it should be just fine for showing your family or others. There may be some restrictions on where it will play (some countries) or on what devices (sometimes they don't play on mobile devices) but I don't think this is that common anymore. Again, the only thing that really matters is if a video should "go viral" and you suddenly get a million views, you cannot make money on videos that have copyrighted content.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
As I mentioned previously, unless things have changed recently, you can use any music you want in a video. However, Youtube will detect if it is copyrighted material and you will have to acknowledge that it is. From there, it should be just fine for showing your family or others. There may be some restrictions on where it will play (some countries) or on what devices (sometimes they don't play on mobile devices) but I don't think this is that common anymore. Again, the only thing that really matters is if a video should "go viral" and you suddenly get a million views, you cannot make money on videos that have copyrighted content.

I presently use iMovie and it will not allow me to add any copyright protected music. Non protected tracks drag and drop right in. Maybe I'm ignorant?

colonel00

WKR
Ah, I gotcha. That's an issue with iMovie then. I'm not familiar with that app so I'm not much help there. I could swear that Luke uses/used that but I don't know for sure.

Curious, is this music that you "own" and have downloaded or is it just in your itunes or other streaming library?

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ah, I gotcha. That's an issue with iMovie then. I'm not familiar with that app so I'm not much help there. I could swear that Luke uses/used that but I don't know for sure.

Curious, is this music that you "own" and have downloaded or is it just in your itunes or other streaming library?

It is music that I have purchased through iTunes yes. The free non-protected tracks I download in the same manner to iTunes, they drag and drop right into iMovie. It's a really slick platform for dirt simple video editing.

Tsnider

WKR
oh yeah i was referring to monetizing them. ive made tons of videos just for fun, but in the future im aiming to go about it properly. not that i plan on making a bunch of money or anything, but in my early 20s i made a video that got 100k+ views and wasnt monetized. wouldnt have hardly gotten anything from youtube but it would just be cool to say i got something.

colonel00

WKR
It is music that I have purchased through iTunes yes. The free non-protected tracks I download in the same manner to iTunes, they drag and drop right into iMovie. It's a really slick platform for dirt simple video editing.

Yeah, I'm no help with that then.

FWIW, I don't do a ton of video editing but I've used Sony Movie Studio Platinum in the past. It's not free but it's decent. If I were going to go to a paid app now, I'd probably look at Adobe Premiere for use on a PC.

For a free app, you might looke at Divinci Resolve. I haven't had much time to mess with it but many folks say it's pretty good for free and is right up there with some of the paid apps.