Flip flops in Backcountry

16Bore

WKR
Hell, sometimes just unlacing your boots is like a foot massage. I've gone just bare socks if it's dry. And you surely have extras. I hope.

ColoradoHunterHiker

Lil-Rokslider
I used to do the croc thing (also used the super cheap walmart ones too). Both worked fine and were good for water crossings. But....they don't pack very well, and I hate things swinging on the outside of the pack. So, I recently tried the sanuk ones... they fold flat, like almost as flat as flip flops.

Here's a video I did that talks a little about them. Bag Dump: 5-day Backcountry Elk Archery Hunt Gear in a Kuiu Icon Pro 3200 - YouTube

Let me know if you have questions...

mnnowak

FNG
I have not taken any extra footwear on any hunts so far. I do plan on starting though. I think I am going to bring my crocs from now on. I was on a fly in hunt and spent three days in my boots around camp that would have been nice to have some loose fitting shoes.

I buy $5 pr ghetto ass flip flops from Fredmeyer at the end of the summer on clearance. They usually make it 2 trips each pr. I use them as dividers in my pack as needed. Airing out my feet and boots is paramount in camp. No swamp foot.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

Tod osier

WKR
As has been said, crocs are great. For camp use I have a pair without air holes since they are more waterproof and keep your socks from getting filled up with grass seeds and debris through the holes. Don't breathe as well, though.

I also bring my solid Crocs. Easy to slip on and off for nite time pees, keepa moisture out, and great if you take a river shower or similar. Mine are just over 12 oz in size 9. I think giving the feet a break from boots is important cause if your feet get sore, it will limit your hunt.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I bring some crocs that are just like the clogs except the back is adjustable by velcro so you can tighten them up if you need to. Pretty handy things for sure.

Jeffh0214

FNG
I basically live in Luna Sandals when there's not snow on the ground. Trail running, hiking, you name it. I usually bring them along on early season hunts to give my feet a chance to breathe mid-day and around camp.

chindits

WKR
No. I bring the boots I wear and 3 pair of socks max. I rarely return to camp until after sunset when I'm hunting. When I finally get back to camp it's all about eating and sleeping, so I don't take the time for leisure footwear. My luxury footwear is dry socks to sleep in.

Wayback in the beginning of this thread someone had mentioned Hounds, made by Dawgs. I ended up buying a pair off of Amazon and using them for my last mountain hunt. A fair amount lighter than my crocs and work equally as well, if not better. For a measly 8 oz., these will definitely be strapped to my pack and then to my feet, while in camp, for all my future mountain hunts.
0e475e15b8b23c0d7a1d1fcd8cf7e490.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WKR
+1 on the hounds. I got them post season but have been wearing them around the house and to run out to the truck or whatever at night. Super light and comfortable.
For some reason those white stripes kept bugging me til I took a sharpie to em. Now they're"custom"

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Wayback in the beginning of this thread someone had mentioned Hounds, made by Dawgs. I ended up buying a pair off of Amazon and using them for my last mountain hunt. A fair amount lighter than my crocs and work equally as well, if not better. For a measly 8 oz., these will definitely be strapped to my pack and then to my feet, while in camp, for all my future mountain hunts.
0e475e15b8b23c0d7a1d1fcd8cf7e490.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those are what I have. I did cut the back away to make them easy slip on and the top area of the toes for better ventilation.

The material there made from makes a heck of a fire starter as well.

jmez

WKR
I take Crocs. First thing I do when I return to camp after I drop my pack is put them on. I archery hunt so usually cold isn't an issue so I take the vented ones , want my feet to air out. I prefer them over a flip flop, as flip flop or open toed slip on sandal as neither are comfortable for me. They also don't offer enough protection. The Crocs are durable and you can walk back and forth through brush and rocks from camp to kitchen area etc and not worry about it.

I also think Crocs are very comfortable. If it is above freezing they are pretty much all I wear on my feet year round unless working. I really don't care that they look kind of stupid.

CDNPO

FNG
Those are what I have. I did cut the back away to make them easy slip on and the top area of the toes for better ventilation.

The material there made from makes a heck of a fire starter as well.

I have a pair being delivered today. I generally use flip flops at camp, but these are a little more substantial without adding any real weight. Will see how they perform as is, but 5 min and a knife to make those mods if needed seems like a solid plan.

Akicita

WKR
I often pack my Cushe canvas slip-on for camp wear and stream / river crossings. . . I think they got bought by Merrell though so hopefully they will continue to make them.

Odell

Lil-Rokslider
Well....... Nobody's gonna steal them

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

lol. And I can find them quick. They belonged to a buddy who passed. We use to give him such grief for them. His wife felt I needed them in memorial so I take them on all my hunts and always get a good laugh.