Bipod Shootout Review, By Justin Crossley (and win one of three bipods!)

Fallguy

FNG
Great timing on this one! I'm shopping some of these for a new rifle build. I've got my eye on that Extreme pod as well!

6.5x284

WKR
Love my Javelin. Have 3 hard years hunting on it. For the guy who asked if the magnetic bond is strong enough to have on your pack for a long hike, etc... it doesn't really work like that. You keep it in your pack (I keep in my water bottle holder) or pocket, and then just clip in when you need a bipod. I pack it everywhere, but rarely have it on my gun. This keeps the weight added to the rifle at an ounce and change as the adapter is the only permanent piece. When working timber, etc... no bipod is on the end. When you are sneaking out to a clear cut, watching a saddle, etc... you slip it out of your water pocket holder and clip it in in a quick motion. I hope that makes sense! Let me know if you have any Javelin questions. Have a lot of time behind them. It has it's place, and thats a back country rifle, sheep rifle, or guy who doesn't like the balance changed from a traditional bipod.

Honorable Mention.......... I've been using a Caldwell XLA Pivot Model Bipod 6-9", and it has been working great for me. Looks just like the Blackhawk and has the same features without the price tag. You can get it on Amazon for $36!

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
My brother used the Evolution to take this stud at first light this morning.

a63a4ed6e8d2f2ef5c25bee333a12d1e.jpg

8d415503ce292cdb77011232c4431938.jpg

Like Justin posted I used the Evo bipod on that hunt. I got the run down on it the night before opening day. Seemed simple and easy to use. When it came to crunch time I was in a rush. I was shooting mostly side hill slightly up. Where I laid down it wasn't flat either but I didn't have time to find a better spot. I had the short legs on it extended all the way out to be able to see over the grass/brush. When I hit the deck the rifle was canted pretty bad. A quick flip and I had the rifle level and ready to shoot.

As excited as I was and not really familiar with how it works it was very easy to use. If you are looking for a bipod that's easy to use and works very well I would definitely take a look at the Evo pod.

Any updates from the field on bipod preferences after this last fall? I'm looking for a new bipod for my new Browning Hells Canyon Speed 6.5 Creedmoor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Any updates from the field on bipod preferences after this last fall? I'm looking for a new bipod for my new Browning Hells Canyon Speed 6.5 Creedmoor.

Well, I still think every bipod tested has a place depending on a shooter's needs. I really like the Evolution bipod and use it all the time. I used it the most this fall on my rifles during my hunts. My other personal favorite is the Javelin which I put on my son's rifle for him to use for his first deer season. Between those two I choose the Javelin if I'm trying to save weight, and I choose the Evolution for most everything else. One of the things that makes these two stand out above the rest for me is the longer legs for sitting which I like to use for predator hunting. I've used both for that and like them both. Hopefully that helps a little? Let me know if you have any specific questions. Also for what it's worth my brother just got a new bipod and chose the Javelin.

Here's my son's first buck which he shot at 525 yds with his .243 using the Javelin bipod.

01%20Dylans%201st%20buck_zpsaeiwwkzt.jpg

Well, I still think every bipod tested has a place depending on a shooter's needs. I really like the Evolution bipod and use it all the time. I used it the most this fall on my rifles during my hunts. My other personal favorite is the Javelin which I put on my son's rifle for him to use for his first deer season. Between those two I choose the Javelin if I'm trying to save weight, and I choose the Evolution for most everything else. One of the things that makes these two stand out above the rest for me is the longer legs for sitting which I like to use for predator hunting. I've used both for that and like them both. Hopefully that helps a little? Let me know if you have any specific questions. Also for what it's worth my brother just got a new bipod and chose the Javelin.

Here's my son's first buck which he shot at 525 yds with his .243 using the Javelin bipod.

01%20Dylans%201st%20buck_zpsaeiwwkzt.jpg

Good feedback. Thanks!

I do like the long leg option for sitting.

Is the Javelin useful off a bench for shooting steel targets 800-1000 yds or is it primarily for prone use?

I'm familiar with the Atlas as another option but really like the ease of removal and portability of the Javelin for backpacking.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Good feedback. Thanks!

I do like the long leg option for sitting.

Is the Javelin useful off a bench for shooting steel targets 800-1000 yds or is it primarily for prone use?

I'm familiar with the Atlas as another option but really like the ease of removal and portability of the Javelin for backpacking.

The Javelin works great from the bench and you should have no issues. They do offer two different heights and I think the shortest length (listed as their standard) is best if you plan to use it mostly for the bench but the long version is better for prone field use. The longer version also gives more adjust-ability when used with the sitting length legs.

The Javelin works great from the bench and you should have no issues. They do offer two different heights and I think the shortest length (listed as their standard) is best if you plan to use it mostly for the bench but the long version is better for prone field use. The longer version also gives more adjust-ability when used with the sitting length legs.

Thanks again! May get one and try it out!

JWW

WKR
That is an awesome setup. Bipod was almost as much as my dirt bag RAP 6.5.