300wm: Tikka T3x Superlite vs. CA Ridgeline vs. ?

Rucker61

WKR
Truth be told, I'm not 100% sold on 300wm yet; I'm a little afraid now of the recoil (never fired one, don't know what to expect). I just got through shooting two (yes, only 2) 3.5" turkey loads (patterning using a 1150fps, 2.25oz, 3.5" shell) a few weekends ago in prep for the upcoming season, and my shoulder was tender from those two for 4 days (~7.5lb 870 Express).

Are there calibers I'm overlooking? Should I start a new thread? The main point is that I'm wanting something that can deliver some punch on class-3-sized game out at 650+ yards.

I put a muzzle brake on my .300 WSM Tikka T3 along with a Limbsaver. I think it recoils less than my .308 T3.

I put a muzzle brake on my .300 WSM Tikka T3 along with a Limbsaver. I think it recoils less than my .308 T3.

I'm currently gathering parts for a lightweight (right at or under 7 lbs with optic) .300 Win Mag build and that's the route I'm going. For lightweight guns it's about the best option.

In addition, make sure the comb is comfortable and the correct height for the optic. A rifle that shoulders well with the correct comb height is much more comfortable to shoot than one that fits poorly.

Zoo Keeper

Lil-Rokslider
With the micro bastard brake & limbsaver on my 300WM T3x I can shoot it all day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will also throw a vote towards the tikka. You get an incredibly accurate gun for the money. I have a t3x in 300 wm and I'm really pleased with that gun. I was concerned about the recoil of such a light gun but in all honesty its not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. I may end up putting a micro bastard brake on just to help me spot hits easier but the recoil is very manageable. I broke it in with 200 grain hornady eldx and they shoot lights out. If the weather breaks this weekend I have a pig hunt and cant wait to see how this round performs on a tough skinned pig!!

Oh, the limbsaver pad is your friend, pull the old pad off and put the new one on. 5 minute job.

OP
R

Rorschach

Lil-Rokslider
You know what I'm going to ask...

Can you quantify "lights out", post targets, describe, etc.?

I will also throw a vote towards the tikka. You get an incredibly accurate gun for the money. I have a t3x in 300 wm and I'm really pleased with that gun. I was concerned about the recoil of such a light gun but in all honesty its not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. I may end up putting a micro bastard brake on just to help me spot hits easier but the recoil is very manageable. I broke it in with 200 grain hornady eldx and they shoot lights out. If the weather breaks this weekend I have a pig hunt and cant wait to see how this round performs on a tough skinned pig!!

Oh, the limbsaver pad is your friend, pull the old pad off and put the new one on. 5 minute job.

You know what I'm going to ask...

Can you quantify "lights out", post targets, describe, etc.?

I dont have pictures on my work computer here but I do have them posted in another thread, I cant remember if it was your thread about the tikka vs kimber thread or one of my own. But the pictures in that thread I have a 10 shot group measured at 1.6 inches, I knew I pulled the outside shot as soon as I fired. My smallest 3 shot group was during barrel break in and went right at a quarter inch. You can get the tikka specific pad, check your local shops or Mountain Tactical.

I am not trying to come off as an a-hole in anyway Rorschach, but I kept up on the thread about your misfortunes with the Kimber and Tikka rifles you couldnt get to shoot real great. I would have someone else shoot along side with you, every Tikka I have and have seen shoot as met Tikkas MOA guarantee without too much trouble. Light rifles are just tougher to shoot as accurately as a 10 pound gun. Again, no disrespect meant.

OP
R

Rorschach

Lil-Rokslider
Nah man, no offense taken. I don't know if you remember or not, but the Tikka shot great (10 shots right at 1", if I remember correctly), especially with that Hornady Precision Hunter. I actually purchased a box of HPH for the new Tikka 300wm I purchased since it did so well in the 308. Also grabbed some Barnes Vortex and Federal Fusion 180gr. I'm expecting the rifle to be fine, since the 308win version was.

The Kimber was the one that I spent $200+ on trying to find ammo that it 'liked'. Tikka was good-to-go though; I'm totally happy with the outcome of that series of experiments.

Anyway, I'll see if I can find your post. And, when picking up the rifle today, I did indeed get a Tikka-specific LimbSaver.

I dont have pictures on my work computer here but I do have them posted in another thread, I cant remember if it was your thread about the tikka vs kimber thread or one of my own. But the pictures in that thread I have a 10 shot group measured at 1.6 inches, I knew I pulled the outside shot as soon as I fired. My smallest 3 shot group was during barrel break in and went right at a quarter inch. You can get the tikka specific pad, check your local shops or Mountain Tactical.

I am not trying to come off as an a-hole in anyway Rorschach, but I kept up on the thread about your misfortunes with the Kimber and Tikka rifles you couldnt get to shoot real great. I would have someone else shoot along side with you, every Tikka I have and have seen shoot as met Tikkas MOA guarantee without too much trouble. Light rifles are just tougher to shoot as accurately as a 10 pound gun. Again, no disrespect meant.

OP
R

Rorschach

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah man - I am near-ish, but not near enough to be able to leave during the work day. Ed's is about 1.25hrs away.

Gotcha.

If you're near central NC, Ed's in Vass would have probably beat the price on all of them.

Nah man, no offense taken. I don't know if you remember or not, but the Tikka shot great (10 shots right at 1", if I remember correctly), especially with that Hornady Precision Hunter. I actually purchased a box of HPH for the new Tikka 300wm I purchased since it did so well in the 308. Also grabbed some Barnes Vortex and Federal Fusion 180gr. I'm expecting the rifle to be fine, since the 308win version was.

The Kimber was the one that I spent $200+ on trying to find ammo that it 'liked'. Tikka was good-to-go though; I'm totally happy with the outcome of that series of experiments.

Anyway, I'll see if I can find your post. And, when picking up the rifle today, I did indeed get a Tikka-specific LimbSaver.

Oh yes I do remember your tikka liking the hornady stuff the best. Congrats on the new rifle I'm sure it'll be a shooter also! I haven't tried any other ammo than the 200 grain eldx but would like to try some 180 accubonds just for the sake of trying them. I'll post that group of ten rounds here on this thread tonight.

Here's a 10 round group. I definitely feel like I can tighten it up. The flier was round 5 or 6 if I remember correctly.

Fireguy

WKR
I used to LOVE ME some 1911's, model 70s, and a sprinkle of Remington 700's. Now I have a safe full of Glocks and Tikkas. I have about $50,000 in experiences between 1911's and every damn bolt action you can name that tells me Tikka's are a no brainer for 99% of hunters and Glocks have no soul but they rock.

dkynoch

FNG
Here is a group with my Tikka 7mm Lite at 100 yards off a bipod.

Attachments

• 20170109_164244 (4).jpg
    20170109_164244 (4).jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

GKPrice

Banned
I used to LOVE ME some 1911's, model 70s, and a sprinkle of Remington 700's. Now I have a safe full of Glocks and Tikkas. I have about $50,000 in experiences between 1911's and every damn bolt action you can name that tells me Tikka's are a no brainer for 99% of hunters and Glocks have no soul but they rock.

eloquently said ..... don't own a Glock YET but I will after talking with a few former "operators" who all say Glocks just WORK, no matter what

16Bore

WKR
It's hard as hell to swap back and forth between a 1911 and a Glock though. Too much 1911/2011 IPSC in the past.

And about to be some more if I'm not careful.

It's hard as hell to swap back and forth between a 1911 and a Glock though. Too much 1911/2011 IPSC in the past.

And about to be some more if I'm not careful.

It can certainly be done, but I switched to an M&P for that very reason and have been much happier.