Hippers, Waders...which ones?

Antlers

FNG
I live in the waist-high stockingfoot waders for all my moose hunts. I doubt anyone sweats more than me; I wear UA heatgear bottoms under them. I just drop them for 15 minutes when I get to a lookout and dry out. One of the biggest benefits is being able to turn them inside out and putting the booties b/w my pad and sleeping bag at night and having nice warm dry booties the next morning.

Clarktar

WKR
Waders - USIA
Semi custom waders made in Oregon from a dry-suit company.
I have heard nothing good about these so far.... I have no first hand experience with the waders.

I have used there drysuit for SCUBA and snorkeling for the past 6 years. Quality is excellent, customer service leaves something to be desired..

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Stid2677

WKR
I'm bought these to try this year, will have more to say after a trip or two.

NRS paddle pants, they have a shirt that comes up to my chest, can be worn with normal boots.

IMG_4089_zpsdt12gaxt.jpg

IMG_4090_zpsf3dd8vmw.jpg

If you don't want to spend full price for a new set of G3 or G4 waders, you can usually pick up a used pair on ebay. I picked up a pair lightly used G3 chest waders on ebay...stocking feet end up being too tight....sent them in to Simms and put new, larger stocking feet and checked repaired and pinholes & seams for $65 and shipping. I ended up a with a pair G3 chest waders for less than half cost.

I've done a lot of moose hunting and been in some wet settings. I've never taken or worn (or wished for) chest waders even once. Mostly it's because I need to be extremely quiet when bowhunting. My average shot distance on multiple bulls is just under 10 yards. The slightest noise at that range isn't good. The other reason I don't take chest waders is just the fact that 98% of the time I'm hunting they are unneeded...at least for my terrain. I wouldn't enjoy the added bulk and heat-retention when hiking. I don't ever float rivers so keep that in mind, just as I also do anything I can to avoid hunting massively watery regions. Any moose area is going to have water of course...

I generally moose hunt in 18" rubber boots and that's it for footwear. Not high-tech and probably not the popular choice. If I have to cross deeper water I slip on some Wiggy's Waders (really just lightweight leg/boot covers which extend to crotch height. Cross the wet zone and remove them. They weigh ounces and have just enough durability for one hunt...maybe a couple if I'm lucky. I didn't even have them on last September during 15 days in my moose valley. I have stalked to within bow range of bedded moose, but doubt I could pull it off with chest waders or true hip boots.

I have a friend who wears very basic Lacrosse rubber hip boots on a 2-week moose hunt. He's done it for so many years and that's his system. I do it differently, and you probably will figure out your own preference as well. Knowing how much water is in your hunting area is a critical element of this decision...or would be for me.

KJH

WKR
Like Kevin, I've never had to have the chest waders. Mid thigh water, but never over the waist.

This year I'm going to try something new. I'll be wearing Muck's Muckmaster boots with sewn in yoder chaps. I ordered a pair and have been walking in them. I tested the waterproof factor and they are as good as any hip wader I've ever seen. Its basically a 20" Muckmaster boot with a heavy duty chap sewn on and sealed. Muck Muckmaster with Yoder Chaps – RidgeLineSupply.com

I haven't hunted in them yet, but they seem bulletproof tough.

This thread has me thinking about something. I know a couple (or more) people who do custom sewing and could probably create a more durable version of the Wiggy's Wader. I might have to speak with them and see if they would build a prototype.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Well, if we're chatting about the decision to wear waste or chest waders vs hipper-style...

The main reason I still wear waste-highs is to provide a waterproof lower half to include my butt. You might only need hippers when you're moose hunting most habitat, but if you still hunt or sit in a raft you're gonna appreciate not having to wear rain bottoms.

The added warmth of waste- or chest waders is invaluable on late-season hunts.

scenario-dependent decision IMO. Consider your habitat and daily approach when choosing wader options.

OP
B

Beendare

WKR
This thread has me thinking about something. I know a couple (or more) people who do custom sewing and could probably create a more durable version of the Wiggy's Wader. I might have to speak with them and see if they would build a prototype.

I have the Wiggys and I put one of my boots inside and put a coating of Shoe Goo on the sole and up the side appx 2" around my boot. It makes them a little heavier and less compact....but much more durable.

Schism

WKR
Like Kevin, I've never had to have the chest waders. Mid thigh water, but never over the waist.

This year I'm going to try something new. I'll be wearing Muck's Muckmaster boots with sewn in yoder chaps. I ordered a pair and have been walking in them. I tested the waterproof factor and they are as good as any hip wader I've ever seen. Its basically a 20" Muckmaster boot with a heavy duty chap sewn on and sealed. Muck Muckmaster with Yoder Chaps – RidgeLineSupply.com

I haven't hunted in them yet, but they seem bulletproof tough.

I have a pair of these and they have served me well. Used them while floating in Alaska for caribou and were great to get into and out of the raft. Like Larry mentioned, they don't cover your but and sitting in a raft always left me with a wet backside.

This year I am going on a moose hunt and using 40 mile as an air taxi. It's a lake hunt and I'm trying to figure out if I need the waders like Becca and Stid referenced or if the muck masters will be sufficient. I've been playing phone tag with 40 mile so I haven't been able to ask them directly quite yet.

StrutNut

Lil-Rokslider
I got a pair of the uninsulated waders from Banded and they are by far the most comfortable wader I have warn. I have hunted out of waders for nearly 35 years and these are the best I have tried.

mcseal2

WKR
I was planning on buying the Simms G3 pants, but the Muckmaster with chap boots look pretty darn awesome. I might only go on one moose hunt in my life, or at least in the near future. The Simms are a pretty big investment for one trip. I wear Muck boots on the ranch a lot, just took them off now for lunch, and know they work. I might try a pair of these boots/chaps and wear them for work fixing flood gaps in fences. If they survive that all spring/summer they should be tough enough for a 10 day moose hunt. Thanks for the idea.

KJH

WKR
I got a pair of the uninsulated waders from Banded and they are by far the most comfortable wader I have warn. I have hunted out of waders for nearly 35 years and these are the best I have tried.
I'm a waterfowl hunter first a foremost and spend 45+ days a year in chest waders. I absolutely love the Banded Redzone waders. It's nothing like wearing waders... Just a comfy pair of bibs. I like them so much I bought a spare pair to take on trips. We'll I didn't need them for a year until I fell over one morning last fall in ND. So I went to the truck/trailer and dug out the box. Waders new in box...

I tried for 10 minutes to get them on an had to give up. Never could get better them on because of a major manufacturing defect- the liner is twisted 180 degrees at the waist. Physically impossible to wear. Banded won't take them back or replace them... The tags are on them!!! Cabela's won't take them back because it's over a year even though I have the original receipt. So here I am with a pair of brand new unusable waders.... I take every chance I have now to dissuade people from buying Banded waders. This seemed like a good entry into that. The worst part is that the other than having wasted $320 is that the other pair is the best waders I've ever owned.

Schism

WKR
I'm going to order a pair of Simms G3 guide waders (stocking foot) and a pair of guide boots. For those of you who use Simms, how do you find the sizing to run compared to their charts?

Just make sure the legs are long enough. Order long if in doubt. There is no give in those things so if sitting with pressure on the knees they will get very sore very quick. I had to return a pair after one weekend rowing the drifter. They fit great standing and walking but sucked sitting.

jeg

FNG
I'm planning a AK moose hunt for 2018 and torn on the idea of the chest/waist waders vs knee or hip boots. Leaning towards knee or hip boots. I have some foot issues and was wondering what the best fitting knee boot or wader is out there. I used to love the old lacrosse burleys and grange boots but the new ones seem looser around the ankle than the old ones. Kind of interested in the modified muck boots but worried about noise.

Maverick940

Banned
I'm planning a AK moose hunt for 2018 and torn on the idea of the chest/waist waders vs knee or hip boots. Leaning towards knee or hip boots. I have some foot issues and was wondering what the best fitting knee boot or wader is out there. I used to love the old lacrosse burleys and grange boots but the new ones seem looser around the ankle than the old ones. Kind of interested in the modified muck boots but worried about noise.

Sportsmen's Warehouse sells a good insulated, ankle-fit hip wader. My clients seem to love them, because they're relatively inexpensive and they're pretty durable and the provide really good ankle-support. Although Lacrosse Big Chiefs are my personal hip wader of choice, I've worn the Sportsmen's Warehouse hip waders on occasion and though they're a bit tight for extreme cold weather in October, they seem to function well for May/June bear hunts and September moose hunts.

And just for the record, I prefer hip waders over chest waders. I spend a lot of time just sitting on my butt, glassing and glassing and glassing, but when it comes time to hike and climb to my vantage point or go after and animal or to carry an animal back to camp, I definitely prefer hip waders.

Doc89

WKR
Chest waders for the win, went unguided Alaska moose last fall and I'm planning a return trip for 18. Sticking with then stockingfoot chest waders with a good boot for sure, minimum stockingfoot waists waders.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk