Bushnell LRHS - Anyone have any experieince with these?

Rorschach

Lil-Rokslider
Ah - I didn't even try the parallax adjustment. Will have to see if my sample is the same.

Good to hear. I picked the LRHS for the low pro elevation dial and capped windage as well.

I actually like the G2 reticle so far. That 2 Mil Semi circle seems to work well for target centering at 4.5X thus far.

My biggest gripe about the scope thus far is the parallax adjust is one stiff SOB. Maybe it'll loosen up with more use we shall see.

At 4.5 power the reticle is thin at low light but the way the reticle is framed by a circle I think will help with quick and accurate target acquisition. Like walking through timber at 1st light and seeing a bull at 60 yards type stuff. Just put that circle on the boiler room and pull Z trigger.

Rorschach

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah - noticed that myself, MLC; teeny tiny lines at 4.5x. I can see the utility of the big goofy circle now.

Wrongside

WKR
I bought my LRHS 4.5-18 off optics planet and at the time I did the illuminated version was exactly the same price ($1140) as the non-illuminated so why not right? :)

Luke,

Have you had any time with the 3-12 LRHS? Hoping to have a 6.5 put together here soon and wouldn't mind the extra magnification of the 4.5-18 LRHS/LRTSi, but wonder how it compares in usability and brightness. The 3-12s I've been around are exceptionally easy to get behind, just wonder if the 4.5-18 is the same...

Cheers.

Rorschach

Lil-Rokslider
An update on my experience with the Bushnell LRHS (and Bushnell customer service):

I haven't gone back and read, but I may have noted in this thread or a recent Nightforce thread I started (asking about the quality of the SHV model versus their higher end and more expensive models) that I had both an LRHS 4.5-18x44 Illuminated model and a NF SHV in my hands simultaneously so that I may could compare them. I did not end up taking time to do that, as work commitments had me running short on time, so I sent the NF back since I liked the reticle and size/weight of the Bushnell better. Apologies to anyone looking forward to that comparison.

I mounted it to a 300WM Tikka Superlite, brand new from Cabela's, in Talley Mfg. Lightweight rings and took it out to the range. I adjusted the eyepiece reticle focus and set the parallax to 100yds. I zeroed at 100yds, then set a target out at 300yds. Adjusting the parallax knob to the 300yd marking yielded worse focus on the target than when the knob was set at 100yds, so I cranked it back to the 50yd setting (around there, at least), and the target came into sharp focus at 300yds. Then the rifle was pointed at an object at 50yds. Again it was way out of focus with the 50yd parallax setting, but was brought into sharp focus by cranking the knob to up near the highest extent of its travel (near the 300yd/infinity markings).

Something being definitely wrong here, I contacted Bushnell's customer service via the online form, and was emailed within a day telling me to call their customer service line. I called it today and after 15 or 20min, was able to speak to a customer service rep who, after some initial information collection about the model of scope, said that they sent out several batches that had the "parallax knob indexed in the wrong direction". The options for resolution I was presented with were to 1) have them mail me a sticker to apply to the parallax knob with the correct knob markings, or 2) have them send me a return shipping label, send the scope back to their returns processing center, and then receive a scope 8-10 business days after they get a batch of scopes in sometime during the first week of May.

I chose option 2 and so will be receiving a new scope at some point, if I choose to not cancel the transaction altogether. I'm considering going back to the Nightforce SHV after this experience.

For prospective buyers, if you care that the knob is labeled the way the scope works or not, you may want to find a way to verify that you have the correctly built scope before you purchase.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Good to know. I always just blindly focus till it's clear rather than worry about what the "numbers" say on any scope. I will have to see mine does. Though it's shooting so well I don't see me worrying about the dial not lining up with the numbers if that's ok. Went out to 839 yards while out spring bear hunting (we weren't seeing any grizzlies out) and all 4 of us shot 1 shot each into a 6" group on a piece of plywood. Thus far it tracks very well.

Brado16

WKR
I have both a VX-6 3-18x44 and LRHS 4-18. Have used the VX-6 the last two years on my hunting rifle- purchased the LRHS a few months ago and have it mounted on my hunting rifle right now. The other night I set both scopes on my deck railing overlooking a lake at sunset looking at a shoreline/dock about 600 yards away. Both were very similar image quality as it got darker and darker out- I would give a very slight nod to the LRHS being a tad bit brighter that last minute I could see. I have been impressed with the LRHS so far and will use it going forward this summer to test tracking. I know this was not a very scientific test and your eyes might not agree with mine. I also have a SHV 4-14 I have spent some time behind and a Athlon Argos BTR 6-24 that has seen one range trip so far, I hope to add these into the comparison as time allows.

907to406

Lil-Rokslider
Question about the LRHS, I see they make it in both a Mil and MOA reticle but can't seem to find anywhere if the turret comes in MOA with the MOA Reticle? I personally have always shot in MOA and like my turret to match my reticle. That being said I have nothing against Mils just don't want a MOA reticle and Mil turret.

Rorschach

Lil-Rokslider
Mil reticle comes with Mil turret, MOA reticle comes with MOA turret. No worries about mismatched turrets and reticles. I can't believe that was ever a thing on any optic.

Question about the LRHS, I see they make it in both a Mil and MOA reticle but can't seem to find anywhere if the turret comes in MOA with the MOA Reticle? I personally have always shot in MOA and like my turret to match my reticle. That being said I have nothing against Mils just don't want a MOA reticle and Mil turret.

907to406

Lil-Rokslider
Mil reticle comes with Mil turret, MOA reticle comes with MOA turret. No worries about mismatched turrets and reticles. I can't believe that was ever a thing on any optic.

Thanks for the quick reply and clearing that up for me. Sounds like I'll stick with MOA. A couple older guys at some of the PRS matches I've been doing are running optics with MOA reticles and Mil turrets...I struggle enough as it is, don't need to add another factor to the chaos.

Rorschach

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the quick reply and clearing that up for me. Sounds like I'll stick with MOA. A couple older guys at some of the PRS matches I've been doing are running optics with MOA reticles and Mil turrets...I struggle enough as it is, don't need to add another factor to the chaos.

The fact that any manufacturer is even making scopes that have mismatched reticles and turrets shows that some people truly are simply stuck in their ways. If someone could show me a single advantage to mismatched turrets/reticles, I'd eat my hat.

907to406

Lil-Rokslider
I can't find a MOA/MOA version anywhere. You got a link?

I was just looking at them on opticsplanet and the MOA version still specs its turrets/adjustments in Mils...Hence my confusion. Optics planet may not have changed the specification portion for it but still makes me wonder...

Rorschach

Lil-Rokslider
MidwayUSA doesn't say explicitly that each corresponding reticle adjusts in the appropriate increments, but rather states that the adjustments are in 0.1mil or 1/4moa increments.

Edit: Strange. Bushnell's website says that the adjustments are in mils. Link

I still have a tough time believing this, with their nearly top of the line scope.

Rorschach

Lil-Rokslider
I submitted a request for information to Bushnell about this through their contact page. Will post a summary of the response later if no one else gets to the bottom of this issue.

Rorschach

Lil-Rokslider
Received a reply from Bushnell's customer support stating that the adjustment clicks are matched to the reticle; in other words, the G2M reticle comes with 1/4moa adjustments, and the G2H reticle comes with 0.1mil adjustments.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Good to know thanks!!! Bushnell needs to fix their website!

Last edited:

Rorschach

Lil-Rokslider
I hope that's on their radar now that they've had a customer send them a question resulting from the wrong information on the site.