2017 Montana Drawing

OP
B

brocksw

WKR
Just talked to the Montana fwp and they won't be completely done with the drawing until the 20th or 21st
I wonder what that means in regards to big game combos. Last year the drawing for general elk and special permits started and finished on Monday the 18th. In 2014 the big game Combo and permits started and finished in one day, on Wednesday the 17th. I didnt apply in 15 so not sure there, but I don't know why what used to take 1 day now takes the better part of a week.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
After everything is complete there will be a wait list. Get on the list and as people turn in combos you will get an opportunity to buy if high on the list. The sale then starts in mid to late may pray for a low number on the way list. I debated on whether to buy later on excess tags glad I did not do that this year👍

204guy

WKR
Got my gen combo. Wife and Dad got deer combos. Permits are still pending.

Tony8108

FNG
I wonder what that means in regards to big game combos. Last year the drawing for general elk and special permits started and finished on Monday the 18th. In 2014 the big game Combo and permits started and finished in one day, on Wednesday the 17th. I didnt apply in 15 so not sure there, but I don't know why what used to take 1 day now takes the better part of a week.

My buddy did not get draw yet for the general and the lady said not worry yet they were not done.

jmez

WKR
Our group drew 3 general combo elk/deer tags. One of my buddies isn't going but had to put in to keep points, we won't draw 380. That one will get turned back in.

If they really had significantly more apps than general tags it has disheartening implications for the future of elk tag availability.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Back before the price increase and downturn in economy when it was 500$ish bucks for the combo there were over 20k submitted so it was never a given you would get a tag....may be the case for the future again only time will tell

If they really had significantly more apps than general tags it has disheartening implications for the future of elk tag availability.

I think it has more to do with the winter kills and people worried of deer hunting in those states greatly affected, hence why the combo tags are not being drawn but yet elk tags alone general are being drawn. However some are not drawing only deer tags as my buddy did not draw his deer tag but everyone I know personally that applied elk only has drawn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

brocksw

WKR
I think it has more to do with the winter kills and people worried of deer hunting in those states greatly affected, hence why the combo tags are not being drawn but yet elk tags alone general are being drawn. However some are not drawing only deer tags as my buddy did not draw his deer tag but everyone I know personally that applied elk only has drawn.

I have successfully drawn a big game combo. Have a buddy who was unsuccessful for the big game Combo. I'm just waiting on special permit.

Really odd year for the MT draw in terms of results being published.

Logan T

WKR
Results are in. My cousin and I both drew breaks elk permits!

thnksno

Lil-Rokslider
Ok, riddle me this, I was successful for the elk permit, unsuccessful for the elk combo.

Well one things for sure, they are successful in confusing me.

That I cannot answer. :). Can you post a screen shot of what licenses you got with it? You can block out the unit.

Tony8108

FNG
my permit results just got posted this afternoon, General for elk, 380 for deer permit