2017 Montana Drawing

OP
B

brocksw

WKR
Just got off the phone, they wont have my situation squared away till next week sometime.
I'd be curious as to how they handle this. I would also presume that it happened to more than one person. I'd almost think they have to refund your permit points and offer you the choice of taking the general or not. Any other scenario creates more problems.

You know if there is one thing I don't like about the hunting community today and all its social media constructs and even these forums, is that it's become "hip". Seems like tags are getting harder to draw and just the act of going hunting is becoming more difficult in terms of tag availability and getting away from people. Not trying to be negative or cause conflict... Just unfortunate I guess.... There is both positive and negative to the current hunting community.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I'd be curious as to how they handle this. I would also presume that it happened to more than one person. I'd almost think they have to refund your permit points and offer you the choice of taking the general or not. Any other scenario creates more problems.

You know if there is one thing I don't like about the hunting community today and all its social media constructs and even these forums, is that it's become "hip". Seems like tags are getting harder to draw and just the act of going hunting is becoming more difficult in terms of tag availability and getting away from people. Not trying to be negative or cause conflict... Just unfortunate I guess.... There is both positive and negative to the current hunting community.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I agree with this, seems like most places it takes 5 points or better now regardless of tag quality or unit quality. It's cool just to hunt now where those who really enjoy it and look forward to it the most seem to suffer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whisky

WKR
Hunting pressure is gonna be bad in MT this year. People are getting tags by computer error that arent supposed to and I was told they are honoring it. The guy I spoke with said "merry Christmas". Not only did I draw a general (after initially being denied) I also got a breaks archery permit. I won't count my chickens until I got the tags in hand however.

Makes a guy wonder about the game management aspect of it too. Not a good situation at all.

Gumbo

WKR
Just your 4.

Actually they take an average of the party's points.

"Up to 5 applicants may apply as a party. FWP shall use an average of the number of preference points accumulated by those applicants to determine the party's preference points. FWP shall consider any fraction that result from the calculation of an average when determining that priority."

Brendan

WKR
Here's an interesting one. The "Unsuccessful" Big Game Combo showed up first, followed by the Successful / Released. Assuming he's all set, but strange to have both.

a2b86bb78b9eb1153739341feda04649.jpg

Reeltime

FNG
system is really screwed up. Guys are drawing without the general and I know of one guy with one point the 900-20 that didn't draw and guys did with no points. that's not right.

You don't understand Montana points if you think there is a problem. Points guarantee nothing except extra chances to draw. Anyone can draw any tag with max points or zero previous points.

Agross

WKR
I drew big game combo, no luck on the permit. Montana will be packed this year it seems.

I am so confused about this. Me and a buddy are supposed to be hunting Montana next year for our first elk hunt, starting to wonder if it's gonna happen now.

Watch randy newbergs youtube on explaining montana draw.

On the bright side, you can always do idaho or colorado.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Points for 1st choice deer and elk but got my unlimited 2nd choice permit for elk. Sure with that gagger bull killed last year I'm sure MT will be busy but even with a general elk tag, there is so much good hunting on public land if you are willing to burn some boot leather. And there is always somebody who draws a hard tag with fewer or no points than another person. That's just how it goes sometimes. For you NR's that didn't draw anything, put in for a cow tag if you can. Every elk is a trophy IMO.

Me and my brother both drew our Montana big game combos. We didn't put in for any limited entry areas.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Aubs8

FNG
Electronically...I was originally "unsuccessful" for general combo ... It changed on Thursday and I got the 270 elk permit I was looking for...Deer permit is still pending...

Tony8108

FNG
I got drawn for a 380 deer permit, didn't realize that limits you to that zone only for deer then. Wish I would not have put in for that so I could just have my general deer license.

thnksno

Lil-Rokslider
You don't understand Montana points if you think there is a problem. Points guarantee nothing except extra chances to draw. Anyone can draw any tag with max points or zero previous points.

The part I said was screwed up is that their are guys without General Elk that are drawing the special permit.

thnksno

Lil-Rokslider
Points for 1st choice deer and elk but got my unlimited 2nd choice permit for elk. Sure with that gagger bull killed last year I'm sure MT will be busy but even with a general elk tag, there is so much good hunting on public land if you are willing to burn some boot leather. And there is always somebody who draws a hard tag with fewer or no points than another person. That's just how it goes sometimes. For you NR's that didn't draw anything, put in for a cow tag if you can. Every elk is a trophy IMO.

I completely agree. I have hunted Montana for 5 years and all general public. I have had good hunting every year and it would be hard to beat the quality of bulls I have seen. Sure there are better units and a lot of the better bulls in those units are sometimes on private. In my opinion you have a better chance at a good bull hunting the same general every year than waiting 2-3 and sometimes more years for the special draw. If you can only hunt every few years for elk then I can see waiting for the special.

ndbuck09

WKR
Anyone else have any info on this situation? Is it really 100% accurate that Montana sold out of the Elk General tags for NR?

My 2 buddies and I put in for 380 as we really want to just build points but I had planned on having to take the 20% return fee on the general tag but all 3 of us show the general elk combo as unsuccessful. I wouldn't have thought that the general tag would have gone from not selling out for 5 or so years to literally none of the 3 of us drawing it....albeit not a large sample size statistically speaking that would mean the odds for the general tag went from 100% to what 75% this year??

My question now is do I even have to take a 20% tag return fee if I didn't even draw the general tag? I would think I'd just get 100% of my tag refunded.