I'm booking a DIY Alaskan Moose Hunt

OP
Robinhood21
We used chest waders w wading boots. The boots had to have a good rubber sole like hiking boots. What size are you? I have a great pair of Chotas I used on my first trip that were a tick to small. In pretty sure they are 10.5 or 11s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what I wear 10.5 or 11

mcseal2

WKR
I chose to hunt a unit without the 50" minimum because of my inexperience in judging moose. I decided I wanted to be able to pull the trigger if it was a bull I'd be happy with, not try to count brow tines or judge spread. I may feel differently after getting a trip under my belt but I thought that was my best bet for a first trip. I can judge a whitetail gross score well under 10" most times, elk and muleys decent but not that close. Antelope pretty decent also. I've watched the videos and read the books but I don't have any field experience on moose so I'd rather get that before worrying about width.

Ray

WKR
Holly smokes! What a write up! Congrats on the awesome bull and thanks for the invaluable information. It goes greatly appreciated!

That bowsite post is from KevinD on this forum. He has shared some of his gear info on here, but not a thread specific to the hunt.

Ray

WKR
I read the article and it was epic. Unfortunately I couldn't see pics. Any idea why? Do they remove them after a period of time.

All the pics are there right this minute. They are hosted on photobucket according to their link, so what ever system you are using may be blocking the link. Some businesses block all photo sharing sites with their router software.

USMC2602

WKR
Another Kansan here, planning to do a DIY moose hunt in 2019 or 20. Will be watching this thread closely to see how your hunt progresses.

Jdog

WKR
First post guys, I've been a lurker for a while now.

This will be a special trip for my Father and I. I appreciate any help!

Robinhood21 - shoot me a pm. I am in Wichita and lived in AK from 2003--2007. I return annually to hunt and can help you.

J

OP
Robinhood21
Another Kansan here, planning to do a DIY moose hunt in 2019 or 20. Will be watching this thread closely to see how your hunt progresses.

Sounds good, still got a long way to go but I will try to update this thread with equipment purchases and other info involving my trip.