Anybody want to put in for Poor man's sheep?

TexanSam

Lil-Rokslider
So long story short, here in the land of the lone star, we have drawings for hunts on state owned land. Don't ask me why they do it this why, or how it works or get into the politics of it because that's a whole can of worms that can wait to be opened.

What I am asking is that I need someone who would be willing to hunt poor man's sheep (Aoudad) if we were drawn, and have fun doing so. I also have like 4 loyalty points built up and they average out when applying as a party so maybe there's a chance we will get drawn.

The reason I am asking is because one of the requirements is that you apply and hunt as a group of at least 2 for safety reasons. Feel free to shoot me a PM

Jebuwh

Lil-Rokslider
When is the season? And what areas? I've looked into hunting them in NM. Looks like a blast.

OP
TexanSam

TexanSam

Lil-Rokslider
The cost is 3 dollars to apply, and then like 130 if you get drawn. The dates are all within January.

There's actually 2 aoudad hunts this year, and only one requires 2 people. That being said, whoever is down for either of them, or wants to apply together for any other hunts in the catalog (there's a mule deer hunt I'd like to apply with someone as well) then shoot me a PM. I drew a whitetail hunt last year and it was a blast so I imagine the other hunts to be just as good.

Here's the link so that y'all can decide among yourselves who wants to go. Again just PM me if you're serious and are willing to give it a go.
Exotic Hunt Category Details - Texas Parks & Wildlife Department

bounds

WKR
I'm going to put in with my brother or I would. Didn't get drawn last year. And I think we both aired this out on another thread months ago, but the politics of that are ridiculous. Really burns me up. But, like I think we said then, it's the best we got and I'm not gonna not put in.

Where you located Sam?

JWP58

WKR
There are 3 aoudad hunts fyi.

And for the size of the properties a draw only hunt is arguably the best way to handle the hunts.

OP
TexanSam

TexanSam

Lil-Rokslider
I'm going to put in with my brother or I would. Didn't get drawn last year. And I think we both aired this out on another thread months ago, but the politics of that are ridiculous. Really burns me up. But, like I think we said then, it's the best we got and I'm not gonna not put in.

Where you located Sam?

Right now I'm located near Denton but that is ever changing since I graduate from Tarleton state at the end of my internship in August.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
How are the points applied? I've never looked into Texas. Do they select top point holders or does everyone have a chance to draw? Draw odds look pretty long even with a couple points depending on how they run the draw.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

WoodBow

WKR
Tags do not go to highest points. Everyone has a chance. I could be wrong but I believe you are put in based on the points of the member of the group with the lowest points, not averaging. Odds are very long and I believe it is only a weekend hunt. I live in Texas and drive past Palo Duro Canyon on the way to NM to chase the same animals.

Felix40

WKR
How are the points applied? I've never looked into Texas. Do they select top point holders or does everyone have a chance to draw? Draw odds look pretty long even with a couple points depending on how they run the draw.

Unless they have added that info this year Ive never seen a breakdown of how the points help you. My guess is each point is another name in the hat. Its only $3 but Im not going to throw away $3 when there are much better options to hunt Aoudad.

For those of you who said you are interested....one important piece of info is that its only a 2 day hunt and you aren't allowed to backpack in.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry for the hijack Sam. I looked up loyalty points and your correct Felix it's an additional draw entry. They stated that they do average points. I didn't see where they posted any info about applicants and the number of loyalty points they applied with though. Decent success rates of drawn. This is a good opportunity if you can beat the draw odds

OP
TexanSam

TexanSam

Lil-Rokslider
You're good, and yea you're not allowed to backpack in, but I think you can truck camp. I'll have to look into this more, but I spend half the winter in the same area chasing cranes so it wouldn't be a problem to swing by there and spend an afternoon glassing.

JWP58

WKR
You're good, and yea you're not allowed to backpack in, but I think you can truck camp. I'll have to look into this more, but I spend half the winter in the same area chasing cranes so it wouldn't be a problem to swing by there and spend an afternoon glassing.

Scouting at Palo Duro is almost impossible (I found out the hard way). You don't hunt the park proper, you hunt the southern Casita Canyon property that is accessed by Texas State Parks through private land easements but is closed to the public.

But if you have the glass, I think there is enough sheep in that canyon scouting isn't really a big deal.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Success rates are slightly over 50% with no scouting that's pretty amazing

WoodBow

WKR
Success rates are slightly over 50% with no scouting that's pretty amazing

You'd be even more impressed if you knew how poorly equipped most people are for that hunt. Sounds like most quit a day in due to cold weather and have no idea what legitimate glassing looks like.

JWP58

WKR
You'd be even more impressed if you knew how poorly equipped most people are for that hunt. Sounds like most quit a day in due to cold weather and have no idea what legitimate glassing looks like.

A lot don't venture too far off the roads, which are washed out. To even get into good sheep country you have to hike in most compartments. To be fair, its just not the average hunting style most folks are accustom to, its no deer blind hunt (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Aoudads blend in well in that country, a spotting scope is invaluable. I'd rent one if you don't own one or cant borrow one.