Kifaru Fulcrum

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Got this pack out this evening for ~ 3.5 miles and 1600 vert. Tomorrow I'm going to get it out for a bit more but still not much. Error hewding to yellowstone and the Tetons.

Question, I got the medium waist belt and I pretty much maxed that thing out with 53lbs innthr pack to the point that if I dropped 10 lbs, I'd get nothing on that waist belt. Also after that short hike there were imprints on my shoulders from the pack.

What am I doing wrong here??? Any advice on getting the most out of this pack?

Brendan

WKR
So - this has nothing to do with the Fulcrum, more frame fitting. I'd suggest looking up some of Kifaru's videos first on youtube or giving them a call to make sure you have it adjusted correctly first. There's a lot that goes into it. I start with the belt high on my hips, not centered on the hip bones, as it always settles some with higher loads. Snug it down. Then adjust the shoulder straps just snug. Then the load lifters to take the weight of the shoulders, then loosen shoulder straps 1/4" or so. Then loosely snug the chest strap. That's the meat of it without getting into true "fit" adjustments of the frame itself.

Regarding belt size - I'm a 32-33" pant size normally, and I'm almost bottoming out a small under heavy loads. Might need them to make me a Small / XS combo if I ever lose any more weight.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
So - this has nothing to do with the Fulcrum, more frame fitting. I'd suggest looking up some of Kifaru's videos first on youtube or giving them a call to make sure you have it adjusted correctly first. There's a lot that goes into it. I start with the belt high on my hips, not centered on the hip bones, as it always settles some with higher loads. Snug it down. Then adjust the shoulder straps just snug. Then the load lifters to take the weight of the shoulders, then loosen shoulder straps 1/4" or so. Then loosely snug the chest strap. That's the meat of it without getting into true "fit" adjustments of the frame itself.

Regarding belt size - I'm a 32-33" pant size normally, and I'm almost bottoming out a small under heavy loads. Might need them to make me a Small / XS combo if I ever lose any more weight.

I did watch the frame fitting video but I must have done something wrong or I need a smaller belt, I was wearing the belt like they said but I'm not sure it was doing anything. How do you wear the shoulder straps??? I had to really tighten those up, when the pack got there, if I put the belt on I had like 4-5" of space between the top of my shoulders and the strap, I brought them closer but it's almost like all the weight was on the front of my shoulders. My wife even commented that I was leaning forward during the whole hike which has never been a thing with my other packs. I thought all that was sort of strange because I was only running 50ish lbs and normally I'll go out and train with 60-70+.

Innormally wear a 38" pant and I had that M belt nearly bottomed out.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
I did watch the frame fitting video but I must have done something wrong or I need a smaller belt, I was wearing the belt like they said but I'm not sure it was doing anything. How do you wear the shoulder straps??? I had to really tighten those up, when the pack got there, if I put the belt on I had like 4-5" of space between the top of my shoulders and the strap, I brought them closer but it's almost like all the weight was on the front of my shoulders. My wife even commented that I was leaning forward during the whole hike which has never been a thing with my other packs. I thought all that was sort of strange because I was only running 50ish lbs and normally I'll go out and train with 60-70+.

Do you have pics?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Kotaman

WKR

If you have 4-5 inches above showing, you need to either adjust the shoulder straps length, or make sure you are tightening the shoulder straps before tightening the load lifters. Also, don't over tighten the load lifters. That "M" belt should work for a 38" waist. Almost sounds like a "L" belt, as I bottom out a "L" with a heavy load and I'm a 38" waist. I go "L" to get over layers of clothes.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
If you have 4-5 inches above showing, you need to either adjust the shoulder straps length, or make sure you are tightening the shoulder straps before tightening the load lifters. Also, don't over tighten the load lifters. That "M" belt should work for a 38" waist. Almost sounds like a "L" belt, as I bottom out a "L" with a heavy load and I'm a 38" waist. I go "L" to get over layers of clothes.

I was actually thinking it might be an L. When I first ordered it, I ordered an L but then re measured and called back a few hours later and had it switched to an M. The invoice that came with it says M but it justness dosent seem right, another thing is that am like 10lbs heavier right now than normal because I've been stuck here in Phoenix eating tons of food and enjoying all the good beer while sitting by the pool and it's too hot to work out. So that's another thing, because if the belt is bottoming out when I'm fat, I don't know how well it will work when the season starts.

I pulled the belt off and there's no tag or anything on it indicating the size of it. I suppose I could throw some layers on, I didn't try because it's been like 110 degrees out here, last night when I took the pack out hiking it was still well over 100 at ~ 630pm.

Something strange is going on.

Brendan

WKR
If you can close the belt - it's not too small. With the straps all the way relaxed with just enough strap to pull on, you want to be able to snap the belt over the thickest clothes you'd wear your pack with. If the belt is bottomed out - can't tighten it any more now, then you need a smaller sized belt.

So here's how you do it. Loosen the load lifters all the way. Loosen the shoulder straps so they're loose. Put the pack on and tighten the belt snug so the entire weight of the pack is on the hip belt - all of it. Tighten the shoulder straps (with the load lifters completely loose) until it just snugs the pack against your back and puts some weight back on your shoulders conforming the shoulder straps around your shoulder back to the frame. Now, tighten up the load lifters to give you some lift up off your shoulders, and then loosen each shoulder strap 1/4" or so. If something is going wrong with those steps - you may have a fit issue.

fatrascal

WKR
Newmexican, Brendan did a good job explaining how to adjust the pack. I'd like to add that when you adjust the shoulder straps, if you bottom those out before they get snug, then you need to take up some of the length and make them shorter. There is a video on youtube for that also. Fatrascal.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Newmexican, Brendan did a good job explaining how to adjust the pack. I'd like to add that when you adjust the shoulder straps, if you bottom those out before they get snug, then you need to take up some of the length and make them shorter. There is a video on youtube for that also. Fatrascal.

Hi, thanks!!! I've done what he said which is the same as the instructions that come with it say, I'm not worried about the shoulder straps as those are easy enough to adjust. My concern is the waist belt, it just seems to be nearly bottomed out so if I lose any weight (which I do each year), it won't work anymore, even as it was, it seemed to be slipping which made the weight rest on my shoulders.

I played around with it a bit and I'll be taking it out again for a hard (but short) hike tomorrow morning before heading over to NM to see my dad, I'm just hoping I can get it dialed in over the next 5-6 days bacause after that I'll be in yellowstone and the Tetons and I'm hoping to really put it to use.

mfolch

WKR
Anyone have a sense of how long the wait is on these bags? Ordered mine June 15, and my account says 'In Process' ever since. It's almost as though we're going back to the good old days when you had to wait 8 weeks for each shipment...

Kotaman

WKR
Anyone have a sense of how long the wait is on these bags? Ordered mine June 15, and my account says 'In Process' ever since. It's almost as though we're going back to the good old days when you had to wait 8 weeks for each shipment...

I think their "busy time" is ramping up. With that said, my original invoice had a July 5 shipping date on it and it shipped July 5. (Ordered June 8) So, I think the dates they are stating on the sales order are pretty close. What does your sales order say for "shipping date"?

Sounds like you got a large belt.. I'm 33" waist and found small to be too small and medium just about right but had no concerns of bottoming out.

I just pulled the trigger and ordered up a Fulcrum in multi, native lid, 6 belt pockets, mini pocket, water bottle holder, 4 pack of ultralite pullouts, gun bearer, and a mega 500d pullout! This should provide all the space I'll need for my Alberta/BC sheep hunts, it's going to be better than Christmas morning and the icing on the cake after receiving my new hilleberg, new western mountaineering bag, garmin inreach, and Swarovski 80mm this month.

Good luck out there guys!!

Leo45

Lil-Rokslider
Wow! That's great. I'm jealous
In what configuration are you planning on running all the pouches?
I'm trying to decide what to order with mine

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
New mexican, you definitely have a belt issue. Shoulders also need adjustment. I would order me a new belt Monday with urgency. Goodluck. Fatrascal.

It was an L. They sent me a return label and are sending an M. I should have called sooner but I thought I was doing something wrong and did t want to look like an idiot....

Leo45

Lil-Rokslider
Glad to hear that. I'm a 36-38 waist and was debating on what size to get. Definitely going with a Medium after hearing your experiences