Stalking deer in the high country

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok so I'm getting my a** handed to me by these bucks. They are holding tight to the bitter brush and only showing themselves maybe once or twice in the day light after they bed up for the day.

How do you stalk these suckers? Is it impossible and need to hope they bed elsewhere? I've seen bucks in the same spot even everyday but the wind swirls so much there I can't get close.

Hats off to people that harvest mature bucks every year they have impressed and humbled me. For a draw tag with 48% success rate I'm thinking I'm quickly tipping into the other 52%.

Any tips out there to make this happen?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

JP7

Lil-Rokslider
You could try ambushing them in the morning on their way to bed if they have been following a consistent route to their beds. Or try waiting for them in heir bedding area if the wind is steadier early.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I often hike into/close to a bedding area, getting there well before first light, and sit for hours. Sometimes I'm there to see the bucks coming to bed, other times they are already there, and it's a waiting game that can last hours. I just sit as still as can be, waiting for a good buck to present a shot opportunity.

Are you talking high desert or Alpine? I have tried the same thing on bucks and been humbled during blue bird days, sometimes you just need a cloud buildup or storm to come and give you some cover with wind to muffle sound and carry scent etc. Some bucks just know they are in a good spot and that's why they are there. If you can find other deer it may be best until they change a pattern or if its a giant buck just wait for the perfect time. Patience is a hard pill to swallow when you have a short hunt though.
I've stalked some in long johns and socks and they still hear you from 50 yards if the wind is still. I swear one time a buck heard my heart beating. Since then I wait on the right weather pattern or the deer to bed in the right spot. Good luck

Ok so I'm getting my a** handed to me by these bucks. They are holding tight to the bitter brush and only showing themselves maybe once or twice in the day light after they bed up for the day.

How do you stalk these suckers? Is it impossible and need to hope they bed elsewhere? I've seen bucks in the same spot even everyday but the wind swirls so much there I can't get close.

Hats off to people that harvest mature bucks every year they have impressed and humbled me. For a draw tag with 48% success rate I'm thinking I'm quickly tipping into the other 52%.

Any tips out there to make this happen?

And here I thought I was the only one who experiences this(not really). I can totally empathize with you on this! It can be very frustrating.

Jimmy

Lil-Rokslider
Find their escape route, then leave your smelly socks where the bucks will smell them and head out, coming right to where you are waiting.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Find their escape route, then leave your smelly socks where the bucks will smell them and head out, coming right to where you are waiting.

I might try this Jimmy

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm currently burning in the sun about 80 yards from a group of bedded deer. My Target buck is down at about 160 but moving down will allow my wind to get to the upper group. Thinking I'm screwed but maybe some luck will fall into my lap.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
These deer don't seem to travel anywhere hardly couple hundred yards at the most. They typically are bedded before daylight and some get up once around 8. Then the sun might make them reposition and then around 5 stand and feed some.

I've been into almost every canyon off this mountain peak all have had a similar pattern. I'm into the big bucks but damn they are making me look like an asshat. Sunday is last day

KHNC

WKR
Since im at work today, ill just sit here in the A/C and watch for updates. But i leave in 3 hours, so hurry up! :)

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
91° but beautiful view
309b8c380a50397139a312b384634edb.jpg

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Upper deer blew out hopefully opening window of opportunity on the big guys. Cloud cover moved in swirling wind. Trying different approach

Osprey

Lil-Rokslider
I hope it all comes together for you man. It only takes one buck to slip up keep with it and stay focused. On the flip side I'd rather be stalking deer than working any day and I'm doing the latter I still have another 2 months until my Muley hunt!

d3ntalbliss

Lil-Rokslider
This is exciting, wish I was the mountain putting on a stalk. Good luck.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Spotter signed big bucks below and close. Started my approach never saw them until they saw me. Super frustrating.
e67967f21f332f3a641f2daca5c8943a.jpg

d3ntalbliss

Lil-Rokslider
Spotter signed big bucks below and close. Started my approach never saw them until they saw me. Super frustrating.
e67967f21f332f3a641f2daca5c8943a.jpg

If it was easy everyone would do it. Hang in there and may your next stalk end with spilled blood

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I often hike into/close to a bedding area, getting there well before first light, and sit for hours. Sometimes I'm there to see the bucks coming to bed, other times they are already there, and it's a waiting game that can last hours. I just sit as still as can be, waiting for a good buck to present a shot opportunity.

Exactly what I do. Never rush a situation and let them come to you. If their bedding in the thick stuff your kind of stuck with letting them come to you.