Who builds arrows?

Clarktar

WKR
I don't live close to any bow shops and don't have the tools to build my own arrows. Was wondering if anyone builds arrows or has some recommendations where I can send my components and get some built. These are for my compound..

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Phil Mendoza

Super Moderator
I don't live close to any bow shops and don't have the tools to build my own arrows. Was wondering if anyone builds arrows or has some recommendations where I can send my components and get some built. These are for my compound..

Do you already have shafts and components? If you do, we can build them at my shop in Denver. No Limits Archery. We can spin them, cut from both ends to ensure straightness and weight match all components. We will also square the ends and can fletch in pretty much any configuration. If you don't have arrows yet we can build some and send them out.

OP
Clarktar

Clarktar

WKR
Thanks Phil. No shafts yet, but I have the fletches adhesives etc. Probably cheaper to just buy more fletches from you then to ship these to you.

Phil Mendoza

Super Moderator
If you want to private message me what you are looking for as far as shaft, spine, fletching and configuration I can get you a price.

HookUp

WKR
I would encourage you to build your own. I watched John Dudley on his youtube series Nock On and learned how to do it. It took me about 3-4 arrows and I have it down on a bitzen berger.

A really easy way to fletch an arrow that requires nearly no skill is the Arizona easy fletch, you tube it up. If you are going to shoot a bow might as well fletch an arrow.

Corey Miller at XXX archery in Rainier, OR can build your arrows and tune your bow to shoot bullet holes.

I know Phil will build some great arrows but all you really need is an Arizona EZ Fletch jig. It save you money in long run that you can use on other gear.

you can get blazer vanes, arizona jig, and wraps super cheap on ebay. buy the 7 inch wraps and cut them in half to save even more

WesternHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Blackovis offers a custom arrow builder now where you can select everything you want and they show up at your door ready to go.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Chad.frank

Lil-Rokslider
I also agree that Phil’s team will do a great job. But I started building my own and you can really do it all at a minimal cost. I just built some this weekend and for the first time squared them. Couldn’t believe how far off they were after I got them cut. When everything was said and done I was 1 grain difference between them all. Just piece of mind when you do it yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Clarktar

Clarktar

WKR
Yep, bought a bitzenburger last week.

Question, do you guys just use plain old hot glue gun for nock and insert installation?
I also agree that Phil’s team will do a great job. But I started building my own and you can really do it all at a minimal cost. I just built some this weekend and for the first time squared them. Couldn’t believe how far off they were after I got them cut. When everything was said and done I was 1 grain difference between them all. Just piece of mind when you do it yourself.

Chad.frank

Lil-Rokslider
Yep, bought a bitzenburger last week.

Question, do you guys just use plain old hot glue gun for nock and insert installation?

I use the same glue you would use for fletching on my inserts. I don’t glue the nocks.

boom

WKR
none of my nocks are glued in.

admittedly i buy my arrows. i get them from STEVE at southshorearchery. i joke with him..i would buy my own gear once he retires. that man is downright ANAL with his arrows. it's tough to shoot them when they are brandnew. they look like gems..in a box.

Brendan

WKR
Don't glue your nocks. You want to be able to rotate them / replace if needed.

I use Easton HIT for my inserts, and they come with a a slow-set epoxy. Just make sure if you use a slow-set / slow-cure, that you leave your arrows lying down for 24 hours so the insert doesn't move if stood on end...

Fletching glue I personally use Firenock AGO600 Glue, he sells some pretty slick stainless applicator tips that make it super easy.

Elkhntr08

WKR
One more issue. If you use a glue for inserts that dries hard, you run the risk of loosing a insert. The impact of hitting the target will break the bond. Epoxy is best or Goat Tuff insert glue.

JBivens

FNG
My experience has been if you buy good shafts, tolerances are better than you will be. A good jig and some pleasant time spent experimenting ends up with a better quiver than you can buy off the self.

no brainer for me. South Shore Archery for me. tell them what you want, and you'll get what your asking for. i recently ordered a dozen arrows, nocks, inserts, fletching the whole 9 to my door cut to the length i shoot and ready for me to build. what allows my arrows to be so consistent is the spine of the arrows are marked and the starting point for my fletchings. G5 squaring tool on top of that allows me to build the perfect arrow for my set up. the bitzenberger fletching tool finishes these arrows off.

they will also build them any way you want them. and do a top notch build.

Sunday, Monday and today were shoot broadhead days grading the arrow flight. not only are my RazorTricks flying like darts out of both bows, the SlickTrick Magnums are flying like darts, with a package of ST Standards on the way, im excited about this batch of arrows! especially with elk season just about upon us.

I build my own and live in Aberdeen. Little late to the party though...

Last edited:
Just a word to the wise on this: If you stay in this game long enough there’s a good chance you will want to build your own arrows, and its not all that hard and a lot of fun. UNTIL THEN, and especially if your are relatively new to the sport, working with an arrow builder (like Mendoza, who I know only by his good reputation) to get exactly the right arrow/spine/length/component setup is worth the money. My guess is that at least half of the general population of archers out there are shooting arrows that are badly matched to their bow, and thus give lower accuracy and poor-er results on game than they should get. And the archer doesn’t even know it. So, spring for some extra bucks up front and get it exactly right. It’s worth every dime.