Help me pick a hinge release.

TheJuice

WKR
I want to start practicing with a hinge/back tension release. Any tips on where start?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Felix1776

Lil-Rokslider
Im in. I'm going to start practicing with one once elk season is over.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

HoytHunter24

Lil-Rokslider
Last summer I started shooting a Scott Longhorn Pro Brass hinge. It feels great to me and i still shoot it. I also have the hunting version of that hinge i use for all of my hunting. Honestly, look on archerytalk for a hinge at a reasonable price. Once you get the hang of the mechanics of it and decide you want to keep shooting it, then start looking for different variations.

WesternHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Started shooting the Scott Backspin this winter and was amazed at the difference I felt in my shooting. I would recomend it for sure!
Still will probably hunt with a trigger release for wind, snap shots, etc. Looking at what John D is doing with the Nock On releases looks super interesting. Being able to train with a hinge and then switch to a trigger that's on the same paltform so mechanics, anchor are all the same seems like a smart way to go!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

CuZnV1nny

FNG
My favorite is Nock On's Silverback... I got it for practice... but then I never used another release again. Used to be $200 but the price has been going up with the popularity.

Lancaster Archery has a similar release (B3), as Lancaster originally made these per John Dudley's specs. Note that most Olympic shooters use surprise release aids. You're in good company.

CLICK for Silverback In action: Joe Rogan 75 yard buck

Last summer I started shooting a Scott Longhorn Pro Brass hinge. It feels great to me and i still shoot it. I also have the hunting version of that hinge i use for all of my hunting. Honestly, look on archerytalk for a hinge at a reasonable price. Once you get the hang of the mechanics of it and decide you want to keep shooting it, then start looking for different variations.
A good starting place for learning hinge is the Scott Advantage hinge release. It is one of their lower cost releases, and can be bought for $50 to 75 second hand. They last forever. It’s just a basic hinge, but benefits from a decade or two of Scott hinge design improvements. It’s also the little brother of the Longhorn Pro mentioned above, at about half the price. Its a great way to get started.

(and just FYI, I modify mine quite a bit by cutting them down to two fingers, using orthodontic rubber bands to hold the head back and jaw open, and boring a very small hole at the base of the neck to attach a d-loop-material lanyard).

Brizzle

FNG
I like the Stan morex, tru ball HBC, and ultra view. They really all do the same thing and have a similar feel in release, just pick what feels good in the hand. I prefer brass too, but that’s just my opinion.

I just got back from TAC in South Dakota- my 40 and in whitetail shots are no problem (currently shoot an index finger release).

my issue is the more technical/longer shots. Ive gotten pretty good at actively activating the release, but issues show up at longer distances.

I’m going to work on my form, but going along with that theme is upgrading to a back tension or hinge style release.

I shoot a couple of hinges (I buy them all second hand on ArcheryTalk Classifieds). A favorite is the Scott Advantage. Can buy one used for $50 to $80. Ergonomics are great, and it seems to combine almost everything Scott has been developing for their hinges except for the screw-adjustable moon. I think it is the perfect place to start your hinge game. Another one I like a lot is the B3 Ghost. Key point: Think about whether or not you want to shoot with a click, or not. Many people (like me) start off shooting with a click, but then abandon the click after a while so as to keep the shot as surprise as they can. I like it that way. Most hinges come set up to shoot both click and no-click, so, its a matter of preference. Good luck with it!

Kai Truax

WKR
I have a tru ball fulcrum flex I’d recommend using a peice of string and just practice over and over until you feel comfortable drawing your bow and then set your release fairly cold so you don’t misfire. Archery talk also has a ton of hinges for good prices.
Edit just realized from 2017

If you are new to hinge releases, it might be a good idea to get one with a safety. Truball sweet spot pro or a carter honey would be good options.

One more thought about starting to shoot with a Hinge: Make yourself a trainer. You can do it in ten minutes with a piece of broomstick, a couple of big rubber bands, and a short piece of cord. What you are doing is creating a cheap device to practice with BEFORE you load up that 70lb catapult with a hair trigger release. So, use your trainer to practice with a couple of dozen times, allowing you to set the hinge in a really safe setting with lots of travel before it makes the release. I know no better way to get off to a safe, strong start on Hinge shooting.

Holocene

WKR
I recommend the Scott Ascent.

It's one of the only hinges out there that allows you to adjust the click and sear independently. This is a huge feature for shooting a hinge as it's designed and especially helpful to someone starting out with one.

A guy named Shawn Padgett on ArcheryTalk has a great article on how to set one up: https://www.archerytalk.com/threads/scott-ascent-setup-article.5773959/. You can also PM him and subscribe to his private articles for like $10. Wealth of information.

Basically, you set how fast you want the click to happen (it should click as you relax and settle in to your anchor -- not sooner or later). Then, you set how fast you want the release to fire as you execute. Fine tuning a hinge release like this is AWESOME.

The click acts as both a safety and starting point for your shot process. There is no need for a safety on a hinge, and in fact I feel that a dedicated, mechanical safety actually sets you up for a hiccup in the best shot process for a hinge. This is something I realized after switching from the Carter Honey (with safety) to the Scott Ascent. You want to come to anchor, sit still, then relax and execute the shot. If you have a safety, you come to anchor -- do an awkward forward motion to disengage the safety and come out of your anchor -- go back to anchor, then execute. Wasted seconds and flow.

Releases like the Truball Fulkrum are also a good choice. While you can only adjust a single moon, you can adjust the finger pieces to control the feel of how the release fires.

Hinges are awesome. Super smooth way to shoot.

Just a ditto on the above post about Shawn Padgett at Archery Talk about how to shoot the hinge. He's the ace.

Reactions: ZDR
I agree that a safety is unnecessary in most situations. Especially target or backyard shooting. For hunting though, I think it has its advantages.