Wyoming Antelope Unit Recommendation / Trespass Hunt

PowellSixO

Lil-Rokslider
My little brother and I live almost 1000 miles apart from each other, and we try to plan a hunting trip a year to get together to catch up. This year we're headed to his home state of Idaho to chase mule deer. We've been buying our antelope points in Wyoming now for 3 years, and would like to plan on chasing speed goats in 2019. I was hoping someone could recommend a good property we could do a trespass hunt on. I've found a few online, but not sure if they're worth taking the risk on. I'd like to get some real reviews and recommendations from real hunters like you guys. Any help or information would be appreciated.

I guess I have a few additional questions to ask as well. Is it possible for us to draw a decent unit as non residents with only 3 points each? What would be some units that we have good chances of drawing, that would allow us access to a trespass hunt? Thanks for taking the time to read this. If any of you have done a trespass hunt in Wyoming before, I'd love to hear from you. Thanks.

Is there any specific reason you're looking for a trespass hunt? With three points in Wyoming in the special draw you can draw pretty dang good units with plenty of public land to get it done by yourself.

OP
PowellSixO

PowellSixO

Lil-Rokslider
Is there any specific reason you're looking for a trespass hunt? With three points in Wyoming in the special draw you can draw pretty dang good units with plenty of public land to get it done by yourself.
I'm interested in both possibly. The reason I was thinking a trespass hunt, was because I'm not 100% sure if we'll have time to head up and scout for the hunt. I figured that some private properties that allowed trespass hunts, might offer better odds of filling our tags. But I'm not familiar with Wyoming, and would hate to put in for a unit, and have a hard time getting around private land. I'd really like this to be a successful hunt for both of us. We're not trophy hunting by any means either. A 70 inch goat would be great for our standards.

TreeWalking

Lil-Rokslider
With 3 points and the special tag you have a lot of GMUs you could list as your party application's 1st Choice. The GMUs would have a lot of public land that hold pronghorns and unless you are hoping to kill one of the largest pronghorn bucks in Wyoming then scouting before season opens is not critical. You will likely have a shot opportunity on a mature buck the first morning, if not several per day.

Are you interested in hunting even if do not draw the 1st Choice that uses up your accumulated points? There are still a handful of GMUs that have buck pronghorn tags left for a 2nd Choice. Heck, I picked up a 2nd Choice this year and then a Leftover tag in the GMU next to my 2nd Choice tag.

You can join HuntinFool or Epic or GoHunt to dial in your 1st Choice that is likely you could draw with your 1st Choice in 2019 but no guarantees as odds are based on behavior last year and there is point creep at times. Probably do not need to join one of those 3 groups though if all you want to do out West is hunt Wyoming once for pronghorn.

Generally, any unit that is not in the eastern 1/3 of Wyoming and has prior year harvest rates over 80% and took 2 or less points to draw in 2018 would be a safe bet for you drawing the party tags with 3 points in 2019 and having a good hunt in that GMU.

I'm interested in both possibly. The reason I was thinking a trespass hunt, was because I'm not 100% sure if we'll have time to head up and scout for the hunt. I figured that some private properties that allowed trespass hunts, might offer better odds of filling our tags. But I'm not familiar with Wyoming, and would hate to put in for a unit, and have a hard time getting around private land. I'd really like this to be a successful hunt for both of us. We're not trophy hunting by any means either. A 70 inch goat would be great for our standards.

Do you have a goHunt subscription? I just hopped on there and put in reasonable requirements for what you're asking. 70"+ bucks, 100% draw odds at 3 points in the special draw, 50%+ public land, and 75%+ odds of success. There are no less than 25 units that offered all of that according to goHunt. You definitely have options. A subscription to goHunt may be worth your time to narrow down those units.

OP
PowellSixO

PowellSixO

Lil-Rokslider
With 3 points and the special tag you have a lot of GMUs you could list as your party application's 1st Choice. The GMUs would have a lot of public land that hold pronghorns and unless you are hoping to kill one of the largest pronghorn bucks in Wyoming then scouting before season opens is not critical. You will likely have a shot opportunity on a mature buck the first morning, if not several per day.

Are you interested in hunting even if do not draw the 1st Choice that uses up your accumulated points? There are still a handful of GMUs that have buck pronghorn tags left for a 2nd Choice. Heck, I picked up a 2nd Choice this year and then a Leftover tag in the GMU next to my 2nd Choice tag.

You can join HuntinFool or Epic or GoHunt to dial in your 1st Choice that is likely you could draw with your 1st Choice in 2019 but no guarantees as odds are based on behavior last year and there is point creep at times. Probably do not need to join one of those 3 groups though if all you want to do out West is hunt Wyoming once for pronghorn.

Generally, any unit that is not in the eastern 1/3 of Wyoming and has prior year harvest rates over 80% and took 2 or less points to draw in 2018 would be a safe bet for you drawing the party tags with 3 points in 2019 and having a good hunt in that GMU.

We're not trying to kill the biggest goat in Wyoming. I've always wanted to hunt antelope, and I'm sitting on 11 points here in AZ, so it'll be another 10-12 years before I get to chase speed goats here. I'm holding out for a good unit here, so I'll get my trophy then. For now I just want to shoot a mature buck with my brother. And yes we just want to go hunt. It doesn't matter if it's 1st or 2nd choice. We just want the opportunity to hunt antelope together. I guess I'll have to look at GoHunt or something to get an idea what unit would be worth putting in for. Thanks for your comment.

OP
PowellSixO

PowellSixO

Lil-Rokslider
Do you have a goHunt subscription? I just hopped on there and put in reasonable requirements for what you're asking. 70"+ bucks, 100% draw odds at 3 points in the special draw, 50%+ public land, and 75%+ odds of success. There are no less than 25 units that offered all of that according to goHunt. You definitely have options. A subscription to goHunt may be worth your time to narrow down those units.
I do not, but I'll look into getting one. Thanks for your comment.

OP
PowellSixO

PowellSixO

Lil-Rokslider
I just looked at the GoHunt website. I'm going to have to wait a couple months before I can drop 150 bucks on the membership. I've got most of my money tied up in the Idaho hunt right now.

So if we were to put in for a Special Hunt with 3 points, can anyone recommend a unit to apply for possibly? If not I understand. Thanks.

You can crunch those numbers for free on the Wyoming game and fish draw odds page. You can determine the units you can draw and then go from there.

wayno945

FNG
Gohunt's draw odds are based on the 2017 draw data. I would wait until they update their numbers before next year's draws.