help with judging speed goats please. If you have any pics of your speed goat you

BuzzH

WKR
Two from last year...

78 gross:

0928171511a_11.jpg

79 gross:

1001171757b_11.jpg

Buck I passed to shoot the tall one, I'm sure this one is 80-82 net:

0930161743b.jpg

This one, I shot on an additional leftover buck tag several years back, 77 and change gross:

IMG_0796.JPG

ORHunter

WKR
Thanks for all if the great examples BuzzH. I have an antelope tag in my pocket after 15 years of waiting so these are great to see.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

One of these scores just over 80 and one scores just under 80. You may be surprised at first glance which one is which but the key is the 3rd mass measurement and prong placement.
bd4d10bc7ce169bc94682caa2d4a4d87.jpg

2b56a1be78a4d2c902392c5afc739dea.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greenhorn

FNG
I use Mike Eastman's advice. I am looking for 7" on every measurement with at least 14" length obviously more is better.

What Makes An 80" Antelope? - Eastmans' Official Blog | Mule Deer, Antelope, Elk Hunting and Bowhunting Magazine | Eastmans' Hunting Journals

Funny stuff - Mike Eastman's book on antelope and the "Rule of 4 Sevens". A couple basic facts - Mike Eastman is a lifelong Wyoming resident with one B&C antelope under his belt. It doesn't have 7" mass, and doesn't have a 7" prong. Roughly 5% of the B&C submitted antelope have a 7" prong.

Buy a book on judging goats from that guy? haha. NOPE.

FURMAN

WKR
Funny stuff - Mike Eastman's book on antelope and the "Rule of 4 Sevens". A couple basic facts - Mike Eastman is a lifelong Wyoming resident with one B&C antelope under his belt. It doesn't have 7" mass, and doesn't have a 7" prong. Roughly 5% of the B&C submitted antelope have a 7" prong.

Buy a book on judging goats from that guy? haha. NOPE.

To each his own. I can almost guarantee he has killed quite a few BC bucks. I will never put any of my animals in records books. What is the point? to brag to your friends? The point is if you are trying to reach the 7" for all the measurements with 14" length you will be at 84". If you lose some inches in one place you will need to pick them up somewhere else. The number of people who just can't help but post in threads for no reason other than to start an argument on this forum is getting to be an embarrassment. If you can not add something helpful for the op just stay out. Again, sorry to the OP.

Last edited:

Greenhorn

FNG
I will never put any of my animals in records books. What is the point? to brag to your friends?

It's so much more common to see "bragging to your friends" about BS scores and numbers than reality - which is the real reason most people "never put any of my animals in records books."

Lots of good info out there on how to really judge antelope. Looking for a 7" prong is just like looking for an 18" length. Kind of silly guidance in my opinion.

To each his own. I can almost guarantee he has killed quite a few BC bucks. I will never put any of my animals in records books. What is the point? to brag to your friends? The point is if you are trying to reach the 7" for all the measurements with 14" length you will be at 84". If you lose some inches in one place you will need to pick them up somewhere else. The number of people who just can't help but post in threads for no reason other than to start an argument on this forum is getting to be an embarrassment. If you can not add something helpful for the op just stay out. Again, sorry to the OP.

I agree with you completely about being constructive and not starting arguements just for the sake of starting arguements. It is embarrassing.

I did want to speak to the "Book" issue though. I do think that "Book" animals give us a record of where and when quality habitat and quality genetics shine most. Therefore we can learn from those areas and try to save or help poorer habitat to match what "Book" animals come from. So I do see that part of it as a positive, in the long term for animals and us. Understand I say all this being a person who has never dropped anything that would qualify for the books. I can't keep my finger off the damn trigger! If I do though I'm still not sure if I would enter an animal or not. Mostly for the same reasons as you, I dont care much for numbers. Beauty and character gets me every time! Then again for records sake and what small piece it could do down the road, maybe.

I wonder what percentage of people actually put their animals in the books. Nobody that I know of does

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FURMAN

WKR
I agree with you completely about being constructive and not starting arguements just for the sake of starting arguements. It is embarrassing.

I did want to speak to the "Book" issue though. I do think that "Book" animals give us a record of where and when quality habitat and quality genetics shine most. Therefore we can learn from those areas and try to save or help poorer habitat to match what "Book" animals come from. So I do see that part of it as a positive, in the long term for animals and us. Understand I say all this being a person who has never dropped anything that would qualify for the books. I can't keep my finger off the damn trigger! If I do though I'm still not sure if I would enter an animal or not. Mostly for the same reasons as you, I dont care much for numbers. Beauty and character gets me every time! Then again for records sake and what small piece it could do down the road, maybe.

I do believe there is value in record books. I had some of my animals officially scored for SCI but then never entered them. I have personal issues with B&C that I will not discuss here.

Greenhorn

FNG
harvested and it's score, I would appreciate it if you could pm me the photo with score or post it here. I have been trying to prep and get better at judging speed goats and pouring over google images and articles.

Original poster wants to know how to judge goats based on score. Like it or not, official score have more merit, than "unofficial" scores.

What I do know is most guys that say, "If I ever shot a record caliber animal, I'd never enter them" are usually the first guys beating on an official measurer's door 59 days after it was taken.

BuzzH

WKR

If I were you, I'd be taking out the notepad and pencil and taking notes, instead of lashing out at Greenhorn. I can assure you, he is much more qualified to write a book on field judging pronghorn than Mike Eastman. I've received a lot of help from him over the years, and he knows his stuff in regard to pronghorn, including what it takes for one to score 80+. I also agree that chasing 7 inch prongs is about like chasing unicorns. IME, even 6 inch prongs are very good. Out of the multiple pronghorns that my family has shot, not a one has 7 inch prongs. My best buck has prongs of 5 6/8 and 5 5/8 and makes the all-time book, officially scored, with quite a bit to spare. I haven't sent in the paperwork yet, but I will when I head to Missoula in a few weeks.

Also, IMO, it is important to keep records on these animals. It shows trends for all kinds of stuff, provides evidence that could be later related to habitat trends, climate change, genetics, and about a thousand other useful things.

Its about a lot more than a number and I feel an obligation to record the history of our big-game and to my knowledge, B&C has been keeping records longer than just about any other organization out there. I also support their fair chase policies and hunting ethics.

Rackmastr

WKR
Great thread and reference!!!

Man I simply love chasing these critters. Cant wait to get back to Wyoming for another hunt (hoping next year for my wife to burn some points that we've been waiting on for FAR TOO LONG)

None of these are official scores, just me in the basement with a tape measure.

My wifes buck from Alberta last year (76 and change)

1s15eeq.jpg

My wifes with my Dads (Dads is just under 75")

pB9PP3c.jpg

My Alberta buck - large bodied. (78ish - he has a couple big lumps in his horns that land in the right spots)

Zb5qTSM.jpg

Last edited:

NDGuy

WKR
If I were you, I'd be taking out the notepad and pencil and taking notes, instead of lashing out at Greenhorn. I can assure you, he is much more qualified to write a book on field judging pronghorn than Mike Eastman. I've received a lot of help from him over the years, and he knows his stuff in regard to pronghorn, including what it takes for one to score 80+. I also agree that chasing 7 inch prongs is about like chasing unicorns. IME, even 6 inch prongs are very good. Out of the multiple pronghorns that my family has shot, not a one has 7 inch prongs. My best buck has prongs of 5 6/8 and 5 5/8 and makes the all-time book, officially scored, with quite a bit to spare. I haven't sent in the paperwork yet, but I will when I head to Missoula in a few weeks.

Also, IMO, it is important to keep records on these animals. It shows trends for all kinds of stuff, provides evidence that could be later related to habitat trends, climate change, genetics, and about a thousand other useful things.

Its about a lot more than a number and I feel an obligation to record the history of our big-game and to my knowledge, B&C has been keeping records longer than just about any other organization out there. I also support their fair chase policies and hunting ethics.

What would be the best way to judge? Height and mass?

Greenhorn

FNG
here's one I took in MT last fall. I had it measured by an official measurer (also a friend) this spring. Last fall I taped it in my garage and came to 79-6/8 gross. I like to think I know how to tape them, have scored hundreds myself. This spring the official tape was 76-7/8 gross. Don't know if it shrunk, if there were judgement calls, if I'd had a beer too many when i originally taped it, if I would measure it differently or what. I do know that real official measurements are almost always different than the hunter's self tape in the garage after killing it. Things to consider when you read numbers. The unbroken prong is 5-4/8. Longest horn 15, 6-3/8 mass 4 times. 6" mass above the prong. I was very happy with this buck, he was one of the best ones I've seen in MT for several years.
IMG_7366.jpg
IMG_7364.jpg

Never hunted antelope and have always wanted to. From everything I have read, they are the toughest animals to judge on the hoof.

There was a really good article about field judging them in either Peterson’s magazine or American hunter I can’t remember. From what I remember is using the ears and eyes as references like someone already showed pictures, and by body size being bigger than the does or similar in size to them.