Early season WYO archery

Sled

WKR
What is your preferred hunting method for the pre rifle hunts? do you sit water, spot and stalk or decoy/call? i'm not much of a water sitter but was considering one of the bow mounted shoot thru decoys for a spot and stalk style hunt. having only hunted rifle, i'm wondering how jumpy they are during the archery season.

I can adjust hunting methods as needed but need to decide on purchasing a hide if water is really the best method. any thoughts?

Griz34

Lil-Rokslider
I hate sitting water, even though it is probably the most effective way to hunt antelope. My problem is I'm not able get out to my area to set up a blind ahead of time so I end up setting it up the day I get there. In my experience does and small bucks will come in the first few days but if there is any other water nearby most of the goats will just move off. I spent 4 14 hour days in a blind last year and then killed my buck the fifth morning stalking in a him while he was bedded. I'm pretty bad at stalking, I would say it takes about 20 failed stalks to 1 successful. This year I bought a Ultimate Predator decoy to try....10 days away, can't wait!

OP
Sled

Sled

WKR
I hate sitting water, even though it is probably the most effective way to hunt antelope. My problem is I'm not able get out to my area to set up a blind ahead of time so I end up setting it up the day I get there. In my experience does and small bucks will come in the first few days but if there is any other water nearby most of the goats will just move off. I spent 4 14 hour days in a blind last year and then killed my buck the fifth morning stalking in a him while he was bedded. I'm pretty bad at stalking, I would say it takes about 20 failed stalks to 1 successful. This year I bought a Ultimate Predator decoy to try....10 days away, can't wait!

i have doe tags to fill as well. might be worth the try then to sit water for a day and see what comes in. not much natural vegetation to build a blind with where i'll be hunting, so a collapsible hide might be worth it.

Griz34

Lil-Rokslider
i have doe tags to fill as well. might be worth the try then to sit water for a day and see what comes in. not much natural vegetation to build a blind with where i'll be hunting, so a collapsible hide might be worth it.

Yeah, it wouldn't hurt. Last year I hiked in before dark to set up on a waterhole only to find it had dried up. When I got back to the highway I saw the biggest buck I saw the whole trip tearing up some sagebrush 30 yards from my truck. He then went and watered at a hole 400 yards from the road. When he left I walked out there and set up my blind. I went back to my truck thinking nothing would come in that day only to see 2 young bucks standing within 20 yards of the blind that I had just set up 10 minutes earlier.