6.5 CR or 7mm RM for Lopes - Worth the Weight?

Jsunkler

Lil-Rokslider
I have a few rifles that I am looking to take with me on a WY Pronghorn hunt, but am narrowing it down to two for the sakes of this argument. I do not plan to shoot more than 400 yards and would prefer to be well off the road/beaten path. Of these two which would you take

The 6.5 Creedmoor:

- Savage 12FV with Boyds Pro Varmint Stock
- Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x50mm (Plan to send back for custom turrets and/or reticle)
- Shooting a 143 grain bullet at 2700fps (muzzle)
- Light weight trigger pull setup with the Accutrigger
- Sub MOA out to 400
- 12.5 lbs

The 7mm Rem Mag:

- Browning X-Bolt Western Stainless Hunter
- Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x50mm (Plan to send back for B&C Reticle)
- Shooting either a 162 grain bullet at 2940 fps (muzzle) or a 140 grain bullet at 3200 fps (muzzle)
- Standard browning trigger
- Sub MOA out to 400
- Under 8 lbs

I am leaning on bringing the 7mm with the 140 grain bullet and possibly swapping the scopes or having the one on the 7mm upgraded with the B&C Reticle. At 12.5 lbs, the 6.5 seems to be a little much to carry on a spot and stalk, but once set up it is a tac driver

Thoughts?

UtahJimmy

WKR
Whichever one you shoot better. I've never had to get "well of the beaten path" for antelope. Weight would not be my deciding factor.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

sdfuller

Lil-Rokslider
You should probably just buy another rifle!

6.5 is more than enough, 7mm is lighter though.... How much do you plan on hiking? You can usually drive close enough to the antelope where the extra weight of the 6.5 won't be noticed for the distance you need to cover to close the gap.

muddydogs

WKR
I am not sure well off the beaten path and WY antelope country should be used in the same sentence unless your definition of well off the beaten path is a mile or two. A 223 is enough rifle for an antelope at closer ranges and I would say the 7mm RM is way to much rifle unless your going to stretch the shot out a ways and to do that you had better be able to shoot well in lots of wind. When your only looking at 25 to 35 pounds of meat off an antelope there is no since in blowing off one or both front shoulders should you happen to hit one a little forward.

Use the 6.5 Creed. Bullets are the same weight but the 6.5 is slower than the 7 and will do less damage on imapct from the hemorrhagic shockwave (bullet design may change this). If meat brought home is not a priority it's a toss up.

I used my 7mm Rem Mag last year and I had very minimal, hardly anything concerning meat loss. Don't shoot em IN the shoulder. Aim for the crease area and you should be fine.

either one will kill an antelope just fine. shoot what you feel good with out to a few hundred yards. With antelope 100 can turn into 500 yards real fast. frankly i would shoot that 6.5 just because it seems like you have more appropriate glass on it.

My wife is going to use her 6.5 Creedmoor this year on antelope, it probably is more appropriate than the 7mm Rem Mag depending on shot distance of course. I'm not against either really. Shot placement is key. I'd take the one I had the most confidence with.

Fitzwho

WKR
I’ll be using my 6.5 on two antelope hunts this year, mine only weighs 7lbs though. I might bring my 300WM for a backup.

topher89

WKR
Either. I have not been hunting long but I have shot two with a 30-06 and one with a 257 Roberts and was happy with the results each time.

RBHunter

WKR
I have shot speed goats with both. Using 140 bergersen in both. They both do the trick. But always go with the one you are more comfortable with.