Bipod or shooting sticks for Wyoming antelope

Mfritts

FNG
Hunting Unit 3 in leftover tag this year. Coming up from Texas and wandering if bipod or shooting sticks are preferred? Main concern is grass height. Thinking of bringing sticks and shooting off day pack for prone. First time hunting the west and antelope. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hunt1up

WKR
I've always used a gun mounted bipod and love it. There's been very few instances where the grass has been a concern, at least for me. You could keep a shooting stick in your pack if you think you'll need it.

PGWest

Lil-Rokslider
My personal preference is bipods, simply because I find I have a hell of a time getting steady on shooting sticks and I'd rather carry a heavier rifle than carry around shooting sticks, especially when you have to deal with them every time you want to bring your binos up. The main thing about bipods in Wyoming however, is being able to see over the sage brush. Last year I was out in area 17 with a leftover tag and my 9-13" bipods weren't tall enough to allow me to see over the sage. So, I'd recommend getting the ones that go up to 25-27", so you don't have to worry about the brush.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'd suggest running a 9-13" bipod on the gun in most cases, it'll let you drop the legs and get set up for a stable prone shot fast. The gun doesn't fall over as you're ranging, etc. and if you use your pack or something for a rear support you don't even loose your site picture typically. I personally did not enjoy my taller bipod in the areas I've hunted antelope BUT I own it and toss it in the truck when heading to new areas incase the conditions warrant it I can swap things out. There is a lot more play in shooting sticks vs a bipod, they're low down on my list and sit in my gear box almost all the time in the areas I hunt.

204guy

WKR
For me it's both. Get a set of the folding tentpole type shooting sticks and carry them in the pack they weigh almost nothing. Then a 9-13" ish bipod attached or carried in the pack. For me their functionality doesn't really overlap.

Apollo117

WKR
For me it's both. Get a set of the folding tentpole type shooting sticks and carry them in the pack they weigh almost nothing. Then a 9-13" ish bipod attached or carried in the pack. For me their functionality doesn't really overlap.
I agree with 204guy. There are shooting situations that require one or the other. So take both.

In Central Texas I can't use a short bipod. Too much scrub to shoot over and the legs sink in the sand. And there is just not enough variation of elevation to make most bipods practical in the field. So, I use either trekking poles, collapsable sticks or long metal gardening dowel rods.

Bipod for me. Antelope hunting usually has me belly crawling to get a good shot, so it is a natural transition to stay down and shoot prone.

I guess it depends on the terrain, but I have never had too many issues shooting above the grass or sage.

Carlin59

WKR
I'll offer a third option: trekking poles. A lot of my hunting buddies look at me funny when i pull them out for an antelope hunt but they make a super sturdy and quick to deploy shooting rest. They don't think the poles are as funny when I'm setup steady and shooting and they are still futzing with their bipod or shooting sticks. The only thing they aren't good for is a low prone, but for that situation I would use my pack as a front rest and likely my bino harness as a rear rest.

netman

WKR
I have the 25-27” bipod attached to my rifle. However I plan to bring a tripod with a Pig clamp mounted on top for plan B.
I have a long past history of predator hunting. I used cross sticks mainly but used the tall bipod every now and then. Got to be able to shoot over the brush!

TheCougar

WKR
Check out the Outdoorsmans Triclawps. Turns your tripod into a shooting rest. Works like a champ and you can take just one piece of equipment that serves double duty.

Cinch

Lil-Rokslider
We’ve had a very wet spring and summer this year and the grass is a lot taller then usual...

Oregon

WKR
Good advice given. I don’t leave home without tri-pod. Whether primos or bog pod.
3 better than 2 every time

Jimss

WKR
I hunt Wyo antelope on a regular basis. I had a bipod on my rifle when I was a kid but took it off probably 40 years ago! I often go on super long stalks and hikes so the lighter weight my rifle and gear the better! I almost always carry my daypack along with spotting scope attached to a tripod for trophy judging. If possible I take prone shots on the ground with my rifle sitting on my backpack. If that's not possible and the antelope is close enough I'll place my rifle on top of my spotting scope on tripod.

If you've hunted Wyo you know that the wind generally blows around 10 to 50 mph on a daily basis. The closer you are to the ground when shooting the more stable you will be!

Sturgeon

WKR
I missed a doe last year trying to shoot through some grass laying prone. I can only think the grass threw off the trajectory since the shot wasn't that far. I won't be trying that again. Wish I would have had my pack down.

Jimss

WKR
On my final approach while stalking I always search for an open spot with a bush, rock, etc that would be the perfect spot for setting my backpack/rifle on for a shot. I always make a point of doing this as soon as I spot the antelope within range. It may be necessary to crawl additional distance to have the perfect set up for a prone shot...but I've found it is well worth the additional effort for a solid shot!

OP
M

Mfritts

FNG
Thanks for all of the awesome feedback. I think I’m going to take the advice of the 9-13” bipod and have shooting sticks in the pack just in case.

If a feller has proper shooting sticks, instead of the collapsible, store-bought piecers with cradles or short tops, he can flip them over and use the short end prone. No need to unbalance your rifle with a bipod......

OP
M

Mfritts

FNG
Huntsman, what did you make those from? Look pretty slick

204guy

WKR
Huntsman when you flip those over and shoot prone can you maintain a decent site picture for a follow up shot? When I've tried shooting with 1 section of the folding sticks or with the first section of the KDC, the first shot is fine but the rifle pretty much ends up in the dirt because the sticks collapse or fall over. Obviously the more muzzle rise the worse it is.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk