California Surprise Valley Pronghorn

My son drew a coveted California Pronghorn tag this year... which is sort of like winning the lottery. We had scouted out a few very tall bucks a couple weeks ago and we gave it a hell of a try. We saw this buck and Shane really liked him so he Put the rifle on him, I ranged him and called out “268”... there was a half second pause followed by the report from my 257 weatherby and the antelope was dead right there... very fun hunt and he is damn happy. Best part of all of it was my dad was there too. Three generations together for one very fun hunt. Now off to Colorado.

ANT1.jpg
ANT2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• IMG_1647.JPG
    IMG_1647.JPG
    10.1 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Congrats on drawing that tag and putting it on a nice buck!! How awesome it must have been to have 3 generations out there for the hunt also.

530Chukar

WKR
Awesome. Doesn’t look like the smoke was too bad. 15 points and counting here.

270Hunter

FNG
Congratulations!! I had that tag when I was a senior in high school in 2016, it was an awesome hunt and such a great experience.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Congratulations on a nice buck and heck of great time with the family

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
Huntindog45
Awesome. Doesn’t look like the smoke was too bad. 15 points and counting here.

there must have been a brief reprieve from the smoke at that moment. There was a very big fire going on west of us near Canby and the smoke was pretty bad most of the time. We had kind of planned on sticking it out awhile and hunting harder for a bigger buck but the smoke played into the decision to shoot this one. We were ready to get out of there. Which sucks because it is a beautiful area and I really wanted to hunt a couple more days. I will certainly go back...hopefully with my own tag some day.