Muzzleloader Pronghorn Thoughts?

OP
vanish

vanish

WKR
Ironically, even though he had those itty bitty horns, we got almost 5 pounds more meat out of him than my buck!

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Ironically, even though he had those itty bitty horns, we got almost 5 pounds more meat out of him than my buck!

Straight up or did you have any losses on yours? I got about 40lb into the freezer from mine but had a pass through on one of the front shoulders so lost some there, I got what I could off it. It was as a quarter towards shot that when through the shoulder and out the rear ribs, I went gutless since I'm sure things were a bit scrambled inside. Not horrendous though since I shoot monos so it didn't blow apart the exit hole area.

OP
vanish

vanish

WKR
Straight up or did you have any losses on yours? I got about 40lb into the freezer from mine but had a pass through on one of the front shoulders so lost some there, I got what I could off it. It was as a quarter towards shot that when through the shoulder and out the rear ribs, I went gutless since I'm sure things were a bit scrambled inside. Not horrendous though since I shoot monos so it didn't blow apart the exit hole area.

40 pounds is very good for a pronghorn. She got 35 pounds and I got 30 pounds. I don't think we lost any on either buck (she annihilated the front shoulder on the doe, have never seen the 270 make such a hole...), as hers was liver and mine was frontal, exiting through the back of the ribs. Maybe some brisket. We did gutless on all three to keep things clean, and since it was about a 2 mile pack out we wanted to quarter them right there.

OP
vanish

vanish

WKR
Round 2 complete.

uc

uc

OP
vanish

vanish

WKR
She got her buck on day 2 using the "Ignore the man behind the curtain" - In other words I walked a ridgeline to keep them (he had 8 does) distracted while she looped in behind. 70 yard shot.

I got mine on day 3 by being plain lucky. I have no idea why the buck trotted by me. To seal the deal as I worried he'd walk by just out of range, while prone, I lifted a game bag a foot above the grass for a second and set it back down. He came in on a string. 30 yard shot.