Antelope and rattlesnakes

TheCougar

WKR
I keep hearing about prairie rattlers when antelope hunting in Wyoming. Are they really that common? I'm in AZ, so rattlers are a way of life, but I usually don't see them all that often. I would think in October in Wyoming that they might already be huddled up underground, trying to stay warm. Are encounters common? If so, what time of day and where do they hang out in the prairie?

We see one or two every year in WY on our week antelope hunt. They are usually not very aggressive and typically give you ample warning. Be very diligent in Prairie Dog areas. They really use those holes.

wyosteve

WKR
Also, if you're stalking in rocky type terrain pay attention. By Oct. they are starting to den up in the rocks. I'd say they are fairly common, but usually docile as mentioned above.

Trr15

WKR
Agree with the comments above. In warm weather, rattlers are prevalent in the SE part of the state. in some areas they are everywhere and
at least for me (with young kids) a real concern. Have had a few close calls while camping and running into them in the dark.

I've been to Wyoming twice hunting pronghorn. I've never seen one. Maybe it was the weather? We were hunting in the Kaycee-Midwest area.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Bobbyboe

WKR
I darn near stepped on one this past fall while hunting near Sheridan. I was mid step when a saw a funny looking cow pie under my foot. I was able to stop myself and then realized that it was a rattler. I still wonder what would have happened if I would have completed that step......

They freak we out, but I seem to forget about theme while hunting.

A couple of years ago we wrapped a poly tarp around 3 trees for our propane shower enclosure. My buddy stepped in to shower and a prairie rattler was wrapped around my shaving cream. It isn't just cold water that leads to shrinkage!

This one got a load of shot from my NA 22 Mag I carry just for snakes.View attachment 46307

Jimss

WKR
Last year was the worse I have ever seen in Central Wyo for rattlers. Just about every 3rd gate I went to open had a rattler next to it. I saw around 5 or 6 rattlers in 2 trips. They generally move pretty fast when it's warm. If it's colder they tend to be sluggish. A lot depends on the weather. They generally hole up at night and come out when it's warmer during the day. In Oct it can be 70 degrees one day and snowing the next so it can change from 1 day to the next if they are even out. They really don't want anything to do with humans so if you hear them and keep your distance you'll be ok.

Last year was the worse I have ever seen in Central Wyo for rattlers. Just about every 3rd gate I went to open had a rattler next to it. I saw around 5 or 6 rattlers in 2 trips. They generally move pretty fast when it's warm. If it's colder they tend to be sluggish. A lot depends on the weather. They generally hole up at night and come out when it's warmer during the day. In Oct it can be 70 degrees one day and snowing the next so it can change from 1 day to the next if they are even out. They really don't want anything to do with humans so if you hear them and keep your distance you'll be ok.

Not all rattle bugs rattle, unfortunately.

To op if it's above 45 on the plains I'm in chippawes or snake gaiters

bstockho

FNG
We saw one opening weekend in a rocky area near Kaycee this year. Very unagressive, just shook us off.

Gr8bawana

WKR
We've only seen 2 while hunting during bow season in NV in August so they are still active. One of them was in a grove of aspens behind where my son had been sitting in a chair for a couple of hours.
The other one was waiting for something to come to the only water for miles which was a tiny seep. There were tracks from quail, chukar and some deer or bighorn. It was not happy to see us.

I hunt south of Casper and I haven't seen a live one, yet (knock on wood). That includes belly crawling after goats in august.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk