Wyoming area 25 private access ?

Camofreak

FNG
A few buddies and I are planning a trip to area 25 in Wyoming. Not looking for big lopes, just out there to have a good time and shoot some lopes. We're thinking about trying to get access to some private land, and we don't mind paying for access, not looking for a guide. So if anyone knows anyone with land we could pay to get access too, shoot me a pm . Thanks,Bryan

FURMAN

WKR
I was told by a local, when I was there, that almost all of the ground was leased by one outfitter. Obviously I do not know if that is true. There are some large pieces of public that you can get away from others on if you are willing to walk.

wjohnson1983

Lil-Rokslider
I had a 25 tag last year with a friend, and we did it on public. There are some access points where you can hike in to large chunks as stated above. I can't help with private access because we didn't even bother calling around.

OP
Camofreak

Camofreak

FNG
Thanks guys, yeah I was just curious if I could work something out. No worries if I dont, I've been going over the blm maps for the unit, and looking at roads to access the public stuff, think I've got my areas pretty narrowed down already. Walking is not an issue for us.

i have been looking at this area as well, also unit 113, 29 looks like 113 has a lot of good public land but no roads which sounds perfect to me...
taking my 2 children this fall and wanted to get them a doe and buck tag in the area
we can walk forever, not concerned about that
more looking for opportunity for my kids, very fit kids, thy can hike and pack with the best of them...
any input from wyoming residents, or a better unit for youths.

any and all information is appreciated

wyosteve

WKR
I'm not familiar with 29 or 113, but just a caveat--be sure the public areas have public access. No roads could mean it's landlocked(surrounded by private) where the landowners won't let you cross to access the public.

OP
Camofreak

Camofreak

FNG
That's my only concern, I'm wondering if there is a way to find out if certain roads are open to the public or not?

hard to say for sure on that, go hunt says the unit you are looking at (25) has good public access, so i wouldn't be to worried if i was you

bmf0713

WKR
Me and a couple friends are looking at area 25 also. Got the BLM maps and a good GPS with a chip. Talked to Wyoming DNR they said not all the roads on the BLM maps are public. Said I Have to get ahold of the counties to get the list of roads that are public. I google the counties in area 25 and found maps for the county maintained roads under the GIS department links. Still gonna get ahold of county to double check roads.

bmf0713

WKR
Yep. That's the one wjognson1983 posted. I also found one for converse county and johnson county. Doesn't like ok. Like there's anything for the little bit in johnson county though.

bmf0713

WKR
Everything I read from other forums said that the big area in the middle southern half of area 25 is landlocked. Thinking about changing to area 23. Looks like there might be bigger groups of public with roads on the western part. But haven't done much reasesrch on area 23. I know a guys that's hunted area 23 a few times and never had problems tagging out. Said last year he and 3 other guys tagged out in 1.5 hrs.

FURMAN

WKR
I do have a contact for a guy in 23 if interested. I think he charges 400 for a trespass fee. PM me if interested.

land locked,,, what a joke.. sorry but i think if the public cant hunt it and access it then the people who have it land locked should not be able to enjoy it either....nothing a helicopter ride cant solve...rant over...

mlucashr

FNG
There is room in 25 to move around. Large walk in area that I've hunted. Also areas that require a lot of footwork but can be done. However, in my experience getting the meat cooled and hide off with lopes is key. So be careful depending on what time of year. Guaranteed to draw a buck tag in 25 but if your just looking for some meat get a couple of doe tags for 73 and apply for a buck tag in 25 they are close enough to each other to hunt both and you can spread your wings a little in 73. Be careful with boundaries. I25 is not the boundary between units 25 and unit 73. PM me if you'd like any questions answered I've done this hunt 4 times and killed a lot of goats before they reduced numbers last year. Did hunt it last year with just 2 doe tags...and saw some good bucks last year in both units.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jrburris2

FNG
If you have the map for 25, I called the DNR and they will talk with you about what roads you can use to gain access. That may help your decision.

bmf0713

WKR
Sent you a pm mlucashr. Just wanted to make sure I did it right. Doesnt say I have any sent messages in my profile.

mlucashr

FNG
Sent you a pm mlucashr. Just wanted to make sure I did it right. Doesnt say I have any sent messages in my profile.

Sent one back as well not sure if it worked. Tapatalk is freaking out for some reason. Sent u my contact info...