Accessing landlocked BLM in Wyoming via bush plane

TheCougar

WKR
The title pretty much says it all. I think this is legal as long as we land on public land (BLM) and we don't spot for antelope from the air. Has anyone done this or heard about it? It is a private bush plane, not commercial.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
I hope it's illegal to land on a prairie, or any other undeveloped area. But I'm crossing my fingers for you that you figure out a good solution.

How bIg is this land? I've never encountered landlocked areas big enough I'd want to fly into and still hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea by land locked do you mean private land is in the way of getting to the BLM?

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Tod osier

WKR
The title pretty much says it all. I think this is legal as long as we land on public land (BLM) and we don't spot for antelope from the air. Has anyone done this or heard about it? It is a private bush plane, not commercial.

Call the office that manages the land. I've always found them to be fairly helpful (at least not any worse than the others). I've found who you get is as important as what they say, so keep asking until you get the full answer. My wife and I divide and conquer some trip planning details and it is amazing the diversity of answers we get by asking basically the same people similar questions (no, she doesn't always get better info than I, but often :).)For tricky things (that you want to CYA on) ask for the statute or rule that regulates the activity, if you are talking to the right person they will know the law and tell you where to look to see for yourself. If not call again or call another office to try to get to the heart of it. You can probably get the answer in less time than I have been typing.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Yes, by landlocked I mean public land with no easement across private for access. Ideally I would land on a road or two track. The plane is a bear hawk.

Tod osier

WKR
Yes, by landlocked I mean public land with no easement across private for access. Ideally I would land on a road or two track. The plane is a bear hawk.

There is plenty to read on it if you do a google search. My interest was piqued and I've been reading. What I read confirms my previous advice to just call them - it may very well be legal depending on the designation of the parcel. I know you are asking about WY, but it looks like there is some state-to-state variability about landing on roads (depends on if they are publically maintained).

Let us knowhow it turns out. I decided a few years back that I'd never get a plane, but I sure wish I could.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
No clue on that part of the question but also verify any flight time versus hunting rules for WY as well. Numerous states have rules that you can not hunt the same day you've flown in a small craft into/over the hunt area. So you might need to fly in and wait a day to hunt if allowed to land in the first place.

I called the Wyoming game and fish last year about bringing an ultralight. Basically they told me that I can't fly and hunt on the same day. This is for BLM land only. You cannot fly/hunt state land. State land doesn't allow overnight camping, which you would have to do in order to hunt.

Didn't Randy Newberg hunt some landlocked place in Montana from a helicopter? Of course that was Montana and not Wyoming.

Best thing to do is call the BLM office in Casper and ask.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
I talked to the BlM state aviation manager and he says there is no guidance one way or the other, and he thinks we are legal to land on BLM.

n816kc

Lil-Rokslider
Bearhawk is a beast - it will haul out whatever you can get into it (I've got about 200 hours in one with an O-540). I would get in touch with the RAF representative for the area, they have been working on opening up some strips on BLM land for use - great resource.