Stalking Speedgoat

BGLEMIN

FNG
Definitely no small feat evading the radar of pronghorn.

What are your tactics?

OP
BGLEMIN

BGLEMIN

FNG
One of the most frustrating aspects of stalking, err belly crawling, is keeping your weapon out of the dirt and out of sight of a pronghorn. Trying to snake a bow or rifle through sagebrush highly increases the chance I'll be seen or heard.

To keep a low profile, I like to have my bow snug on my back and easy to slip off. I use a spare bino harness, slip it between the riser and my quiver. Strap it on backpack style and clip across my chest. I can slip it off while laying on my stomach. This has enabled me to pull off some close stalks in often marginal cover.
7dea836f20fe1592396b1c73c8daa143.jpg

Snuck to 53 yards of this buck before removing my bow. Couldn't have done it without being hands free.
cf4c5e6ea4f1fdd412087c44644c93f7.jpg

NYSKIER

WKR
One of the most frustrating aspects of stalking, err belly crawling, is keeping your weapon out of the dirt and out of sight of a pronghorn. Trying to snake a bow or rifle through sagebrush highly increases the chance I'll be seen or heard.

To keep a low profile, I like to have my bow snug on my back and easy to slip off. I use a spare bino harness, slip it between the riser and my quiver. Strap it on backpack style and clip across my chest. I can slip it off while laying on my stomach. This has enabled me to pull off some close stalks in often marginal cover.

That's a pretty cool concept how tight do you have the strap? Do you find your bow slipping at all when you stand up right?

OP
BGLEMIN

BGLEMIN

FNG
Usually cinch it pretty tight, keeps it from fishtailing or trying to slide to the side. When I stand, the quiver hangs on the harness so it won't fall off. This setup lacks in comfort though.

Gumbo

WKR
My biggest tip is not to paint yourself into a corner. Make sure you have an exit strategy from a given point unless you are relatively certain a shot is eminent. In other words, don't try to force the issue when spot and stalking, especially with a bow. Get close, be patient, and wait for them to make a mistake to where you can close the distance and get a shot. BUT, somewhat contradictory advice is to not hesitate when you see your opportunity to make a move, and do it fast, goats are always milling around, they bed then get up, bed then get up. Opportunities to close the distance can disappear quickly once they are presented, especially when you are trying to move on a herd...I think of it as passive aggressive spot and stalk hunting.

Kilboars

WKR
Usually cinch it pretty tight, keeps it from fishtailing or trying to slide to the side. When I stand, the quiver hangs on the harness so it won't fall off. This setup lacks in comfort though.

Great idea that I was trying to figure out myself. Surprised no companies have come up with something like this.

It doesn't sound comfortable with the bow stabbing into your back buts it better than the alternative IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
BGLEMIN

BGLEMIN

FNG
Great idea that I was trying to figure out myself. Surprised no companies have come up with something like this.

It doesn't sound comfortable with the bow stabbing into your back buts it better than the alternative IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah it digs in the back and the top limb knocks me in the head sometimes. So worth it though. This has helped me more than any other trick to get under 100 yards and even better getting to 50 or closer. The pain is negligible compared to the punishment of crawling through rock, brush, and cactus!

I'd like to see someone modify this, but I like how easily and stealthily I can get the harness off while lying on my stomach.

OP
BGLEMIN

BGLEMIN

FNG
My biggest tip is not to paint yourself into a corner. Make sure you have an exit strategy from a given point unless you are relatively certain a shot is eminent. In other words, don't try to force the issue when spot and stalking, especially with a bow. Get close, be patient, and wait for them to make a mistake to where you can close the distance and get a shot. BUT, somewhat contradictory advice is to not hesitate when you see your opportunity to make a move, and do it fast, goats are always milling around, they bed then get up, bed then get up. Opportunities to close the distance can disappear quickly once they are presented, especially when you are trying to move on a herd...I think of it as passive aggressive spot and stalk hunting.

My mindset on my initial hunts was to make hurried, aggressive stalks. If I blew the stalk I'd go find another buck. I forced too many stalks and wasted a lot if opportunities. The passive aggressive style you mention has changed my hunts too. I've learned to shadow a buck from a distance, sometimes it works and the buck will eventually put himself into a stalkable situation.

Jimss

WKR
I often use an approach similar to BGLEMIN. Once I spot THE monster buck I'm interested in I watch him from a distance until he wanders to a spot with the right terrain and vegetation that offer a stalk. Once I start stalking I constantly monitor his location with binos and try my best to keep him out of sight. This often means a lot of hands and knees or belly crawling. I often wear knee and elbow pads to protect them from prickly pear!

If the buck you are interested in disappears over a saddle or draw...it's time to move quick and cut off the distance. Keep tabs on the area he will likely appear so you don't spook him.

A tactic that often works during the rut is to watch from a distance. If the buck you are interested in chases a doe or other buck away from the main herd of does I'll try to get myself between the doe/buck he is chasing and the group of does. He will likely return to the does and offer a great shot. Once the rut kicks in bucks do a lot of crazy things...which I often take advantage of! If you are an archery hunter you can stalk in as close as possible and pop up an antelope decoy. This may promp bucks to charge the decoy...so be prepared!

Every buck is a little different! The whopper buck I harvested last season took me on a 5 mile-2 hour hike/sprint. It was one of the most grueling hunt I've ever had! . I had to literally jog to keep tabs on him. I knew he was a monster so didn't want to loose sight of him. He was alone for the first hour and constantly on the move. The last hour he chased another buck for a couple miles....not sure why but he wasn't happy about the other buck being in his territory! I doubt if many hunters would have been willing (or able) to keep pace with that monster buck...but I sure was excited when all my hard work finally paid off!