Backpack lope hunt

bone

FNG
Does anyone know what land you can camp on in Wyoming besides national Forest? I would like to get an antelope doe tag, hike in set up camp and hunt for a few days. I'm interested in unit 17 leftover tags but not sure of all the rules yet.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

FURMAN

WKR
I am not sure what exactly you are after but there are not a lot of places you can get far from the truck or other hunters that have pronghorn in unit 17. You can camp on BLM. Unless you are just dead set on backpacking I really see no need. You could shoot a doe within an hour of the start of your hunt.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Lopes are best scouted from trucks unless you can actually find a big chunk of land w/o any road access. Otherwise as noted others will be pushing them around and you need to be able to cover miles since they are either there or not, that's how lope hunting goes. Finding them isn't usually a problem its whether they are on public and how you can close in on them (the latter being the fun part).

OP
bone

bone

FNG
Many thanks for the advice fellas. Not an adventure hunt by any means but I like the idea of camping out instead of a hotel or campground. I'll keep researching areas for larger track of untouched land, I especially like some topography although not ideal for lopes. Any thoughts are appreciated.

FURMAN

WKR
Another thing to keep in mind that I just became aware of, this year Wyoming changed from leftover over the counter to leftover draw. The app period opens, I believe, the 26th and closes the 30th.

OP
bone

bone

FNG
Yes you are correct leftover draw 26-30. I wonder if there are leftover tags after the draw, will they go on sale first come first serve. Alot of last minute hunters out there that won't be able to buy a tag.

OP
bone

bone

FNG
I'm sure there is good reason for it but from the outside it looks like Wyomings cash crop is now tag soup lol.

Does anyone know what land you can camp on in Wyoming besides national Forest? I would like to get an antelope doe tag, hike in set up camp and hunt for a few days. I'm interested in unit 17 leftover tags but not sure of all the rules yet.

BLM, forest, some wgfd. State land is considered private and no camping is allowed. I have been lectured by a state official for even pulling off the road to let him pass.

There are many areas in which you can do a backcountry style camping hunt for desert goats. I tend to find a place, whether in the truck or on a hill and try to glass up the goat I want. I usually give more effort during archery season. During rifle I usually spend a morning hunting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The spot I plan to hunt this year, I think I might backpack into. Its going to be about 3-4 miles hike through very restricted private/public boundary and then opens up to a very large section of public land without any roads.

No fee for the leftover draw. As I understand it the only purpose is to make it "fair" for those that can't be online the minute the leftovers go on sale(?).

OP
bone

bone

FNG
Crawfish is correct. I called fish and game, no fee for leftover draw and any tags left after the draw will be for sale first come first serve July 17th.

Murdy

WKR
Probably only matters if there's a few tags left in an area that sells out quick. I suspect some of the areas with questionable access will be available long after the draw.

204guy

WKR
Back on topic, I'm not familiar with unit 17 but there are antelope hunting backpack opportunities in NE WY. I've considered doing it before but never have. The are definitely places to get way back. There will be roads but they aren't accessible to the general public and the oil and gas guys aren't supposed to have firearms. By far your biggest hurdle is going to be water, I wouldn't count on finding anything even filterable. Your best bet would likely be a stock tank if there's cattle in there, if its just a pond it'll be super scummy. I'd plan on packing in all your water and for warm temps.

OP
bone

bone

FNG
In conclusion so far... There are lots of opportunities in Wyoming to hunt Lopes on BLM. Tags are available especially doe tags. I talked with fish and game and researched their website to find that National Forest is the only land a guy can camp on. This hinders the backpack hunt.

204guy

WKR
You can camp on blm just like national forest. Just not on state land.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

OP
bone

bone

FNG
Ok got ya. That changes things for the better. Thanks.

wytx

WKR
State land is not private. it is available for use by state law. You can not camp on it or build a fire. BLM and NF are your best bets as some G&F lands have restrictions about camping in designated spots.
Make sure that tent can withstand wind, it will blow at some point during your hunt.