Backpack lope hunt

State land is not private. it is available for use by state law. You can not camp on it or build a fire. BLM and NF are your best bets as some G&F lands have restrictions about camping in designated spots.
Make sure that tent can withstand wind, it will blow at some point during your hunt.

You are correct on not private as in no trespassing but for aspects such as hunting the game and fish looks at it as if it is private land. It's the weirdest wording of regulation.

NoWiser

WKR
There are plenty of areas where backpacking will give you a better shot at a goat. I hate hunting from the truck. We do well hiking miles while the road hunters drive circles hoping a lost antelope wanders onto public within eyesight of a road.

Fishforfun

Lil-Rokslider
You are correct on not private as in no trespassing but for aspects such as hunting the game and fish looks at it as if it is private land. It's the weirdest wording of regulation.

I'm not sure where you guys are getting the info but everything I've found says it's treated as public.

"The rules and regulations controlling public use of state lands are simple. First, the lands must be legally accessed. Anyone crossing private land to reach state land must have the permission of the private landowner. The landowner is under no obligation to grant such permission. Second, off-road vehicle use, overnight camping, and open fires are prohibited on these state lands. All motorized vehicles must remain on established roads. New roads cannot be created, nor can established roads be extended by public users. Activities that would damage state lands, roads, improvements, or lessee property interests are also prohibited. Finally, cultivated croplands are not open to public use.

The Board of Land Commissioners extends to the public the privilege of hunting and fishing on legally accessible state lands, unless otherwise closed by direction of the Board, on its own motion or upon request of the surface lessee. This privilege does not extend to lands classified and used as cultivated cropland. This privilege is to fish in any streams, lakes or ponds and to hunt, pursue and kill game animals, game birds and migratory birds on said lands under applicable state and federal hunting and fishing laws and regulations. This privilege shall only be allowed when it will not result in damage to the state land or the roads and improvements thereon."

There is a stipulation that says they can close it but that is not the norm. What am I missing?

OP
bone

bone

FNG
I cannot find any writing stating that camping is allowed on BLM. Also nobody at BLM's office can tell me if I can camp or not, they only transfer me around to other staff members that are out of the office. Waiting on a return call from a couple field offices. I'm taking everyone's word that camping is allowed but it would be nice to get the language from BLM.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Fishforfun

Lil-Rokslider
I cannot find any writing stating that camping is allowed on BLM. Also nobody at BLM's office can tell me if I can camp or not, they only transfer me around to other staff members that are out of the office. Waiting on a return call from a couple field offices. I'm taking everyone's word that camping is allowed but it would be nice to get the language from BLM.

https://www.blm.gov/programs/recreation

204guy

WKR
Unfortunately about the worst way to get the correct answer to a question is to call a govt agency and ask them.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Octang

FNG
I'm also0 planning a backpacking hunt in WY this year for antelope bc it fits my personality better than car hunting. I spoke with a few wardens and BLM about my plans to camp and no one warned against it so I would be shocked if it all of a sudden wasn't allowed.

OP
bone

bone

FNG
I spoke with BLM office today and they said camping is allowed. He did warn that I should make sure there are no restrictions on camp fires as there have been dry years in the past come fall hunting season.

I drew my second choice tag in an area with lots of blm and little access. Will be hiking a bunch possibly packing in. It's doable in some units, others have too many roads to make much hiking worth while. I may buy a second buck tag, not sure yet.