How flat does it need to be?

Hey guys,

Total Antelope novice here, we drew a tag for 17. I know it's not the best unit but we all wanted to just go. I'm trying to figure out doing some map scouting what kind of terrain is going to be too steep to hold them. Any rules of thumb other than look for the flattest area I can find or is that way off base?

Thanks,
Tim

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Fishforfun

Lil-Rokslider
I drove passed that unit last week. Look to the NE corner. Right along HWY 59 in the NE there were some decent looking bucks. Are you going rifle or archery?

FURMAN

WKR
You will find pronghorn on almost all of the public land in that unit. I think the north east parts of the unit are going to be the least productive. I think you can see all the public from the road within a day and then make a plan on where to spend your time.

wyosteve

WKR
Just a fyi as you do your scouting. You will see a large section of BLM west of Gillette known as the Fortification area. It has no public access unless you chopper in!

bradb

WKR
Doesn't have to be flat at all, found them pretty high last year in 58.

Fishforfun

Lil-Rokslider
Just a fyi as you do your scouting. You will see a large section of BLM west of Gillette known as the Fortification area. It has no public access unless you chopper in!

If we are looking at the same area that's not 100% accurate. Fortification road is a county road and if you stay 100% on BLM and state land it's just a short 10 mile hike around all the private land to get to that large piece of BLM. Unless there is something I'm missing.

bone

FNG
I agree with fishforfun. I plan on hunting fortification area by accessing through county road. Park at state land and hike into BLM. Any info would be appreciated.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

I'll be going in there this year too with antelope and deer tags. The game warden said you just had to walk the 10 miles. Water is looking scarce in there from what I can tell though.