antelope MEAT

Fishforfun

Lil-Rokslider
I have to agree to disagree with most of the posts on here. It's all good advice for the most part. I've guided hundreds of antelope and harvested dozens myself. Antelope is my favorite game animal as well but I've had good and I've had bad. I'm of the opinion that the diet of the antelope along with the manner and timeliness of death are the biggest contributors to taste. Antelope have very long hollow hair. It's been my experience that hanging them in a shaded area with the hide on for up to 3 days produces the best meat. They actually cool very fast this way and it allows the meat to age some without the risk of flies laying larve on the meat. I've had antelope from the field to the freezer (iced coolers) in very short amounts of time and I've still had good and bad (gamey) meat. It's more of a rarity to have bad ones but it does happen. I've also noticed that they seem to be more gamey when they're harvested closer to the rut. Same for both does and bucks. I think the hormones have something to do with that as I've rarely ever had a bad archery antelope. The rare exceptions have been when one didn't die right away because of a marginal hit. Laying them in the truck or on any surface for any longer than a half hour is a BIG NO-NO. That's a sure way to spoil the meat. They must be hung or put on ice as soon as possible. Putting them on ice in a cooler as other suggested is the best way to assure you have good meat but I also believe that there are circumstances mentioned above that could lead to more gamey meat.

I always plan on boning the in the field and getting them on ice if I can't hang them. I take a hitch mounted hoist to hang them from the bumper of my camper if they're close to a place I can load them into the truck whole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you're good with hanging an antelope in the shade in WY in Aug?

Gr8bawana

WKR

That's a great way to ruin some of the best game out there. Our antelope season out here in NV is also in August and temps in the shade can run 80-95 degrees. Hanging in any way, hide on or off is a big NOPE.

Yep. I've hung many, many Antelope in temps up to 90. I prefer to get them on ice as stated but they will be just fine as long as hide is on. I will say that most often the temps would drop to upper 40's and 50's at night in south central Wyoming. I certainly wouldn't recommend that in places much warmer like Nevada, New Mexico or other really warm places. Again. I prefer to get them on ice but if you can't there is an alternative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fishforfun

Lil-Rokslider
That's a great way to ruin some of the best game out there. Our antelope season out here in NV is also in August and temps in the shade can run 80-95 degrees. Hanging in any way, hide on or off is a big NOPE.

That's what I thought. Hell I won't let a deer hang if it's above 50*. I'm not questioning personal experience but it just seemed odd to me.

Here is what one state game and fish has to say about it:

"Cooling wild game to less than 40 degrees F as quickly as possible will slow the growth of bacteria and keep the meat from spoiling. Ideally this is accomplished by taking the carcass to a cooler on the day of the kill. If this is not possible, the following should be considered:

If ambient temperatures are above freezing, it is important to remove the skin from larger animals such as elk and moose to facilitate cooling. Because of their heavy coats and abundant fat, it is especially important to remove the skin from bears as soon as possible. On warm days, it may be necessary to pack the body cavity with bags of ice.
Good air circulation is important during the cooling process. If the carcass cannot be hung, place it on logs or rocks and prop the cavity open with sharpened sticks. Keep the carcass out of direct sunlight.
In warm weather, cheesecloth or a lightweight game meat bag may be placed over a skinned carcass as it cools to protect it from flies. Black pepper or food-grade citric acid applied to the carcass may also discourage flies.
Carcasses should not be placed in plastic bags or tarps before being thoroughly chilled, as plastic will hold heat in and increase the chances of the meat spoiling."