Going to late?

jofes

WKR
Have a tag in the south east part of WY that will run from Sept 25-oct31. Elk season starts oct 15 for a buddy who has a cow tag and I'm wanting to help him out. Is it a big deal to hunt the last week or so of the season? First time antelope hunting not the first time in the unit.

Sent from my USCC-E6762 using Tapatalk

wytx

WKR
They herd up and the more mature, smarter bucks show themselves. Love hunting late for antelope. They will be either really vehicle shy or in wintering mode and not as spooky. Horns can pull off by end of Oct. so be careful handling them.
Last week will have pressure from locals trying to fill their tag last minute.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
What now about horns pulling off? They don't shed, what is the mechanism for them loosening up and being prone to pulling off?

Even if the sheath did come off I don't see how it matters, you have to take it off and clean out the tissue for a mount anyways. There will still be the matching bone protrusion from their skull if you are worried about horn length restrictions versus your tag. What is the concern?

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
No shit? How does that work with the bone left behind which is part of the skull?

Either way though I still can't see how its an concern since you need to pull them off to clean out the flesh right?

Carlin59

WKR
The problem is when the sheaths fall off before your shoot them. Some of the WY seasons run through Nov 15 and I've seen plenty of mature bucks I didn't shoot because they had already lost one or both sheaths, leaving an ~8 inch spike instead.

wytx

WKR
The problem happens when they pull off in your hands as you're moving them around say to load in your truck. Cape damage can also happen and it is easier to lose a horn sheath that is not attached to the animal.
They can start shedding the sheaths in early Nov.

OP
J

jofes

WKR
My question was more pointed to if there would be increased difficulty in locating, stalking and killing them at the end of the season vs the first week. Is there any major issues that a first timer would not know about when it comes to antelope? aside from horn loss.
Thanks.

wytx

WKR
They will herd up and you'll see bucks and doe all together. Lots more eyes to see you too. You will see more wounded and sick animals as the season gets late. My buck from 2 years ago in Nov. had 3 old wounds I did not see before I pulled the trigger. He was inedible and the warden gave permission to leave him lay, infected at every wound.
Weather is also a consideration. By Nov. we could have lots of snow that makes getting around tough or impossible.
The last week usually brings out all of the have to get my tag filled hunters.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
wildmeadows