Wyoming unit 46 hunt

WhiteRubi

FNG
Hey fellas. I won't bore you with the long story but I had grander plans so I went ahead and cashed in my 4 points in Wyoming and drew 46. I've got some local help as my folks live in Cheyenne and centennial (vacation place). They know a few people that are willing to help.
Anyhow, I'd like to know your thoughts on when to go. I'm self employed and have a flexible schedule. Secondly, what are some things I need to bring along. I'm a Kentucky deer hunter, not used to western hunts. And lastly, I know an antelope hunt can be short and sweet. I'm taking a custom 6.5 creedmoor and pretty comfortable to 500+ yards. I'm planning on sending my FoxPro out to my folks place and do some coyote hunting after the goat hunt if I'm lucky. Anything else worth hunting in that part of the state that's OTC tags and DIY?

Scotch

FNG
You might find a few prairie dogs to shoot at. You can also buy a furbearer license, and shoot any bobcat or badger that comes into your coyote call. Antelope hunts can be as easy or as challenging as you choose to make it. The degree of difficulty just depends on how picky you get with horn size, and how much fuel and calories you are willing to burn. Good luck with the hunt, hope you leave Wyoming with some good memories and meat.

wytx

WKR
Grouse season may be open, either dusky grouse, mountain grouse, or sage grouse to the west of you. During Oct you may get in some waterfowl hunting too. We have dove until the first real cool front in Sept.then they tend to head out fast.
These regulations apply to furbearers :

TRAPPING LICENSE.****Any person, except as otherwise provided,
upon application and the payment of the proper fee, may
receive a license to trap any furbearing animal.*** The
Department shall issue a trapping license to a nonresident only
if their state issues licenses to Wyoming residents to trap the same species for which residents of that state may be licensed
to trap in that state.***Any nonresident applying for a Wyoming
trapping license shall furnish:
(1) A notarized affidavit stating the applicant’s legal address
including their state of residence; and,**
(2) A copy of the most current statutes or rules and regulations
of the applicant’s state of residence that show that the state
issues nonresident trapping licenses that authorize Wyoming
residents to trap the same species for which residents of that
state may be licensed to trap in that state.

Coyotes are not fur bearers so you're good there.

Our family hunted this unit 7-8 years ago. A Wyoming chip for your gps will be invaluable. We saw several mid-70s type bucks we didn't shoot cause we were unsure if we were on public or private. The unit is checkerboarded public/private. Inhunted 47 with a chip a couple years later and what a difference in comfort when you know it's public.

There was a 32,000 acre HMA in 46 at the time. Get access to that if it's still available.

RSM

FNG
Have hunted 46 many times in the last decade and a half - the last two years we got really lucky and drew with 0 points! Most of 46 is tied up in two HMAs (Simpson Ridge and Medicine Bow). We hunt Simpson Ridge. The time to apply for the permissions slips is long passed. We "drew" for the early part of the season - but you can also apply and receive the unlimited permission slips anytime, but they are only good after October 5th or so (whenever the start of the Type 2 season is). 46 can get a little crowded during the start of that 2nd season, but there are always plenty of antelope. If you are limited to the later season, I would suggest going right near the end of October. You usually have the place to yourself, although it can be cold and windy (it is pretty much always windy though). The antelope are a running in bigger herds and are a bit spooky, but the past two years, due to work issues, that's when I hunted and was quite successful - even with two kids.

Oh, and the Simpson Ridge HMA you are not allowed to shoot anything else (coyotes, etc.), and you will see coyotes, deer, elk, eagles, grouse...

OP
WhiteRubi

WhiteRubi

FNG
Thanks for the info fellas. I applied and got the permission slip for Medicine Bow River HMA last week. It's about 23000 acres. Looks like I'll be going earlier than originally expected, so maybe 2nd week of October. I guess the question now is what is the trophy potential? Should I be looking for mid 70s or better goats? I've got plenty of time and I'll be shooting my new custom 6.5 which I'm comfortable out to 500 yards with.

NaturalJon

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the info fellas. I applied and got the permission slip for Medicine Bow River HMA last week. It's about 23000 acres. Looks like I'll be going earlier than originally expected, so maybe 2nd week of October. I guess the question now is what is the trophy potential? Should I be looking for mid 70s or better goats? I've got plenty of time and I'll be shooting my new custom 6.5 which I'm comfortable out to 500 yards with.

I'd say mid 70's would be a great representative for that area you should be tickled with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimss

WKR
Pay attention to the weather. Some of the roads can be a muddy mess when wet. I'd bring a shovel and possibly tire chains. If there is deep snow be aware that the antelope are highly migratory in that area in Wyoming.

Pay attention to the HMA regs. I was in one of them a few years ago and it mentioned they don't want you driving around tearing up their roads in wet conditions. With that said there can be quite a bit of hunting pressure off the main roads...especially once the 2nd season starts Oct 5. You may have to do some hiking to get away from the crowds....especially if you want a decent buck. Once mid October comes around the antelope tend to get in giant herds. They can be a challenge stalking up close.

I'm not sure if you have the type 1 or 2 tag? If you have the type 1 tag I would definitely go prior to when the type 2 season starts on Oct 5. There will be another 250 hunters...plus possibly doe hunters added during the type 2 season. Have a great hunt! Antelope are a blast to hunt! Should be coyotes and prairidogs available. The North Platte isn't too far away and has pretty good trout fishing.

BuzzH

WKR
I've probably hunted a minimum of 20 units in Wyoming for pronghorn and I've killed from 1-6 pronghorn each year I've lived here up until last year.

Spent 3 days hunting 46-2 and it was the worst pronghorn hunting I've experienced here. I could have shot 25-30 bucks, nothing worth even uncasing the rifle for. First time I've ever gone without killing at least one pronghorn here...simply would have felt bad killing one.

That unit needs rebuilding...as in, dramatic tag cuts for 2-3 years.

Never felt better about throwing a tag in the garbage can.

I've probably hunted a minimum of 20 units in Wyoming for pronghorn and I've killed from 1-6 pronghorn each year I've lived here up until last year.

Spent 3 days hunting 46-2 and it was the worst pronghorn hunting I've experienced here. I could have shot 25-30 bucks, nothing worth even uncasing the rifle for. First time I've ever gone without killing at least one pronghorn here...simply would have felt bad killing one.

He's 100% right. Some of the neighboring units are in bad shape too and will need to continue with tag cuts for awhile.

This is true

BuzzH

WKR
Well that's just great!🤬
As long as you're good shooting a 12 inch buck and have a couple days to spend, you'll do fine.

It was a lousy hunt by Wyoming standards. There were not even half decent numbers on the private.

I saw more elk than pronghorn most days I hunted it.

As long as you're good shooting a 12 inch buck and have a couple days to spend, you'll do fine.

It was a lousy hunt by Wyoming standards. There were not even half decent numbers on the private.

I saw more elk than pronghorn most days I hunted it.
Man, I tagged along with some buddies on this hunt in 2019 and, @BuzzH, that seems to be a very fair assessment!

All of the three fellers I was with shot goats over 13" but we were there Thursday-Sunday looking for bigger.

I had spent some time out there in the summer and seen some better goats, but I think they must get picked through pretty quickly considering how big those HMAs are and that there's not really any place to hide a big goat by the time the type 2 rolls around.

Since @Beaglegun isn't a Wyoming resident who's killed a pile of goats, I would imagine he and his son can still have a great time compared to any other state's offerings for as few of points it takes, though.

BuzzH

WKR
Man, I tagged along with some buddies on this hunt in 2019 and, @BuzzH, that seems to be a very fair assessment!

All of the three fellers I was with shot goats over 13" but we were there Thursday-Sunday looking for bigger.

I had spent some time out there in the summer and seen some better goats, but I think they must get picked through pretty quickly considering how big those HMAs are and that there's not really any place to hide a big goat by the time the type 2 rolls around.

Since @Beaglegun isn't a Wyoming resident who's killed a pile of goats, I would imagine he and his son can still have a great time compared to any other state's offerings for as few of points it takes, though.
I looked around a couple days during the summer too...it was grim. Saw nothing even approaching what I would consider a trophy type buck even for a first-timer. I thought maybe some pronghorn would move in from surrounding areas later in the season...nope. Honestly, one of the better bucks I saw was laying dead along side the road that the biologist I ran into said had probably died of disease (was getting it tested).

From what I saw, anything more than about 100 total tags issued for there is way too many. IMO, they're issuing 200 too many tags there this year. It should be 50 each in the type 1 and type 2, and no doe tags.

It will be as bad or worse this year as I'm seeing no better numbers again this year the times I've driven through the unit.

Until I were to see anything close to about a 180 degree change, I wont be applying for a second or third choice there again.

I'm fine with 13 inch bucks if they have 6.5 inch prongs and 7 inch mass. But not only were the bucks I saw in there short, they weren't very heavy, and had crap for prongs.

Beaglegun

Lil-Rokslider
We hunted area 102 last year. I was told it was the worst area in WY. Little public land access holding antelope, and small bucks. I'm sure that's true. There was more public land then in the whole state of KY! Antelope everywhere, although after 9am on opening day they all went to private.! Sounds to me like this area is gonna have lower draw odds then last year.
Sounds like I applied for a bad area, but with zero points in the regular poor boy draw, draw opportunities were limited. GoHunt insider gave us 35% chance to draw. Being that I never get drawn anywhere ever, I'm sure we will be trying a different strategy with leftover licenses June 18

Last edited: