On the Hoof

Scotch

FNG
Three guys passed this buck. All three photos are of the same buck from 800 yards. Note how much different he looks from each angle. And his body size was way outside the bell curve for antelope.

I shot him later that day.
If you don't mind sharing, what did he end up scoring?

Randy Newberg

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
I was stupid and passed this buck one afternoon. Got back to the hotel that evening, put the pics up on the computer, then starting praying that nobody would shoot him before we could get back there the following day. Next morning he was in the same basin and got to be a TV star when our guest hunter shot him.

DSCN0247 by Randy Newberg, on Flickr

Randy Newberg

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Got Prongs?

DSCN1294-001 by Randy Newberg, on Flickr

DSCN1297 by Randy Newberg, on Flickr

Hunted this buck with a bow in 2015. Got so close so many times, but only one shot taken and one where I misjudged distance and shot right underneath him. We do have a rifle tag to hunt this area this year. Hope he is still alive.

OP
Fishinsimpson
Randy,

You're throwing out monsters. I'm going to be happy shooting one, 2/3 that size I think. Of course, we've had a wet spring and summer so I'm hoping for better then average horn growth this year.

Thank you for the photos to look at and get a better feel for monsters out there.

Any more pictures of pronghorn at distance to give us greenhorns more perspective of what they look like behind the glass?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Randy Newberg

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Randy,

Any more pictures of pronghorn at distance to give us greenhorns more perspective of what they look like behind the glass?

Lots of those. A lot of time people are looking at a big one and they don't know it. That is why I like to post pics that I think are hard for people to realize are actually 80" or better bucks.

This young buck was in the high 70's in the year we photographed him. I think he got shot the next year by a friend's client and that year he scored 84".

DSCN0492 by Randy Newberg, on Flickr

This was a big bodied Wyoming buck that could deceive. With his lower mass and good prongs, he is easily 76"+. His big body makes people think he is smaller.

IMG_4357 by Randy Newberg, on Flickr

IMG_4358 by Randy Newberg, on Flickr

vanish

WKR
Can anyone give me a rough idea on this buck ( the mature buck, of course, not his little buddies :D )

Seems like he has good mass and prongs, but not much curl to his horns.

Had a great time watching these guys while eating lunch elk hunting last year.

Pronghorn - YouTube

Fishforfun

Lil-Rokslider
Can anyone give me a rough idea on this buck ( the mature buck, of course, not his little buddies :D )

Seems like he has good mass and prongs, but not much curl to his horns.

Had a great time watching these guys while eating lunch elk hunting last year.

Pronghorn - YouTube

Sorry, I have no clue. I have my guess but it would be nothing more than an uneducated guess.

But I'm curious what your setup was to shoot that video.

OP
Fishinsimpson
All I can say is I'd shoot it. From what I've read that guy's got everything you want. Mass up through the prong, prong high on the horn with good length.

Thank you for posting up the video, it gave great angles to view it from. I'm interested too to see if someone could scratch up a number for us.

OP
Fishinsimpson
My rough guess if I understand it right would be 74-76" on the buck in the video.

I came up with that number by estimating the width of each horn as it goes up. I think I remember watching Randy measure three or four times around the circumstance of the horn on the way up. Then added the horn length which I though to be 15" and took the length of the prong. Doubled the total and 76" came out.

Anyone else want to take a stab at it?

Now I'm going to go reread the article at the top to see if I did it right.

Scoot

WKR
Gross 86 5/8, net 85 2/8. Here you can see how big his body was. I am 6' 2" and 210#. He is the second biggest bodied antelope I've ever shot.

IMG_3095-002 by Randy Newberg, on Flickr

After seeing this pic I can't hardly believe that's the same buck as the first pics you posted! I'm a newbie at judging antelope, but my response to people calling that a "smoker buck" from the first three pics was "What are you talking about?" Obviously, I suck at judging them and you guys are much better than me! Great buck and pics Randy- thanks for educating me. I hope to make good use of that info in about three weeks in WY.

vanish

WKR
But I'm curious what your setup was to shoot that video.

For those 3 pronghorn, it was a Samsung Galaxy S5 with DIY adapter on a 1950's era Redfield 15-45x spotting scope mounted on a tripod I picked up at a thrift shop. :D

I had so much fun with that, I ended up spending way more than I should have on high end glass for this season.

Jdog

WKR
Geeze - some smoker bucks Randy!

I drew a WY 67 tag so I gotta get smart...I've never even hunted speed goats!

OP
Fishinsimpson
Thank you guys for all of the replies. I ended up hunting for three days in Oregon and was able to get glimpses of three buck on BLM. It was a fun hunt, didn't see enough to really be able to judge them and sure feel luck had a huge role in this hunt.

Here's to another 9-15 years before I can do this again in Oregon!

63cf144799cb39f52a5bae0f295a9ecf.jpg

7dd49b5ed255ec61cf7efd64281e10a5.jpg