NV Antelope tips/suggestions?

Vizsla2

FNG
I was fortunate and drew a Non Res Antelope tag (Rifle) for units 131/145/163/164.
I've hunted antelope once, about 25 years ago in CA, back when they had a 10 yr waiting period, but aside from that, I'm an antelope rookie.

I haven't scouted yet, but plan to arrive several days before the opener to scout it out.

So instead, I've done a lot online research (NDOW suggested areas to hunt), google earth, maps, waterholes, etc and found a couple of main areas to focus. Given the past success rates, I'm not too worried about finding animals, but with 70 residents, 8 NR's, I'm more concerned if overcrowding/competition will be more of an issue.

I was also wondering if hunting next to private alfalfa farms would be worth it, or if that too, would attract crowds; or be frustrating if the animals stay put on private.

If anyone had any past experience on what to expect, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Stuart

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
that will attract crowds for sure but some good bucks come off of the flats next to good feed.

1signguy

WKR
I would check that out-
Don't forget antelope don't generally jump fences. They slow way down to crawl through/under...
A fence can be a great tool...

Rangerz

FNG
Not real familiar with those units, but might want to try and call the biologist in Tonopah.

Also, don't be afraid to look higher. I have seen antelope here as high as 9,000 feet. A lot of guys tend to concentrate at the lower altitudes and miss a lot of critters.

Good luck!

OP
V

Vizsla2

FNG
Thanks guys for those tips!
I'll post a report late next month.