What Game Bags for Antelope?

ChrisC

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking at the TAG game bags and I'm not sure if the BOMB (boned out) or Medium kit is the way to go. I have my first trip to Wyoming in October and didn't know which choice was best. From what I've seen, most people quarter them and stick those in bags rather than boning out, but given the size of antelope, maybe the BOMB kit would be ok for an antelope quarter and more versatile for future backcountry hunts where you will be deboning?

Any thoughts?

Felix40

WKR
I dont think you would get a bone in quarter in a bomb size bag. I would be willing to bet that you could put an entire deboned antelope in one or maybe two bomb bags. Heat may be an issue to deal with so youll want to get the meat on ice as fast as possible. If it were me (never been antelope hunting but I kill quite a few deer in hot weather and pack them to the truck) I would be packing one of the smaller bomb size bags and three or four quarter bags. That way you can cut the quarters off and bag them (possibly put the shoulders in a bag together) and throw all the other pieces in the smaller bag and get back to the truck pretty quick. With an animal that size I see no reason to debone in the field because the weight will be managable and they live in pretty flat country.

muddydogs

WKR
Some cheap cotton mesh game bags to keep the meat clean long enough to make the cooler filled with ice in the back of the truck. I've been using Elk Bag by Dickson for years without a problem and don't see the need for these expensive bags. My bags cost $10 a four pack and since they are so cheap I have no problems cutting the bags off the quarter when I get home. For Antelope the quicker you cool the meat the better so all you really need is something simple to transport back to the cooler in the truck.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
A quartered antelope will definately fit into a single 24x44. I have put numerous into similar sized bags and also have used one of kuiu's rectangular 11x8x23 to fit all the bone in quarters. The 14x20 set would likely work but not sure if it would take 2 or 3 bags bone in.

A set of TAG BOMB bags is all I've used for the past 4 years. I have put bone-in antelope and deer quarters in them with no problem. Any animal with a live weight of 200 lbs or less will fit bone-in quarters with room to spare.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
A set of TAG BOMB bags is all I've used for the past 4 years. I have put bone-in antelope and deer quarters in them with no problem. Any animal with a live weight of 200 lbs or less will fit bone-in quarters with room to spare.

Cool. What fits in what with the 14x20 sizing? (rear and a front, two rears, etc.?)

vanish

WKR
I'll probably get murdered for this on a gear forum, but use a couple old pillow cases and spend some of that $70 on a doe tag ;)

I'll probably get murdered for this on a gear forum, but use a couple old pillow cases and spend some of that $70 on a doe tag ;)
Just get some trash compactor bags and get it on ice ASAP, and move on to getting a doe, preferably a non-viable one.

UtahJimmy

WKR
844f6886f7cc053446f69c84582cd76a.jpg

You're usually close enough to the truck to carry them back whole (leave the guts for the yotes). I built this skinning rig out of some scrap metal that goes right into the hitch. Skin em out, break em down, get the parts on ice. No need to bag em in my opinion.

You can literally have the whole animal broken down and on ice in 30-45 mins of shooting using this way. Makes for some delicious meat!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
C

ChrisC

Lil-Rokslider
Cool. What fits in what with the 14x20 sizing? (rear and a front, two rears, etc.?)

Looks like the BOMB comes with 14x34 as well as a couple 14x20, correct? Id think he was referring to putting the quarters in the 34" bags?

Looks like the BOMB comes with 14x34 as well as a couple 14x20, correct? Id think he was referring to putting the quarters in the 34" bags?

Correct. Each set comes with 6 bags, 4 of the 14"x34" bags, and 2 of the 14"x20" bags. I just put one bone-in quarter in each of the 14x34 bags, but you could fit both front quarters in one bag on a 100 lb antelope. Then, I can fit everything else (backstraps, tenderloins, brisket, ribmeat, neckmeat, etc.) in the 14x20 bags. It's handy not to have to bone-out all of the quarters right away on an early-season pronghorn hunt with a short walk back to the truck.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Correct. Each set comes with 6 bags, 4 of the 14"x34" bags, and 2 of the 14"x20" bags. I just put one bone-in quarter in each of the 14x34 bags, but you could fit both front quarters in one bag on a 100 lb antelope. Then, I can fit everything else (backstraps, tenderloins, brisket, ribmeat, neckmeat, etc.) in the 14x20 bags. It's handy not to have to bone-out all of the quarters right away on an early-season pronghorn hunt with a short walk back to the truck.

Oh I totally misread the sizes in the components, yeah I can see the 14x34 working fine. I don't bone out antelope either, just gutless quartering and trim meat all piled into a game bag and back to a cooler on ice asap.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

I use the same bags for all the game I hunt. I started with pillow cases but they didn't fit big elk rears so I ponied up for game bags a few years back that are still going strong.

Felix40

WKR
Ive tried to put whitetail rear quarters in 14" wide bags and they didnt fit. Maybe antelope are built lighter but thats been my experience.

Dan M

WKR
I'm looking at the TAG game bags and I'm not sure if the BOMB (boned out) or Medium kit is the way to go. I have my first trip to Wyoming in October and didn't know which choice was best. From what I've seen, most people quarter them and stick those in bags rather than boning out, but given the size of antelope, maybe the BOMB kit would be ok for an antelope quarter and more versatile for future backcountry hunts where you will be deboning?

Any thoughts?

I use the bomb bags for the same purpose. You can easily get a full hind quarter bone in on an antelope into one of those bags. In fact I can usually get two bone in front quarters in one bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimss

WKR
I hunt Wyo antelope just about every year. The biggest concern for me is to get the meat off the bone and cooled down ASAP. I get the stinky hide off the meat as quick as I can so the meat cools and doesn't have a gamey smell. It is usually super warm and sometimes hot during Sept-Oct. I try to get the meat in a cooler on ice. I bring a 2nd cooler with ice for the cape. I really don't worry about game bags that much because everything is safe in coolers. Sometimes I put the meat in the cheapest Walmart game bags I can find and place the meat on tall sage overnight to cool down. Make sure to keep the drain plugs open or drain water as the ice melts. You definitely don't want your cape to get wet! If you plan on staying long you may want to take your meat to a game processor and have them store it there for a few days.

With that said, cheap Walmart game bags work fantastic! Never had a problem! Get the meat on ice ASAP!