Unit 25 Wyoming

bmf0713

WKR
Drew tags for area 25 antelope. It's my first time hunting antelope and my first time in Wyoming. I'm an Iowa deer hunter and needs some tips if anyone is willing to help. Thank you.

Murdy

WKR
I've only been out there once a few years ago, different unit, but I looked at 25 pretty seriously. As I recall, access is spotty. Definitely have a decent gps, and I'd highly recommend software from OnXmaps (gave me a lot of confidence and allowed me to find areas I could access. Do not rely on it or other maps for determining public roads (though if you can get one off a local government website, it's probably ok). Call the local BLM office/Sheriff/Highway Dept/whatever and try to confirm public roads and access before you get there. Basically, have a plan your confident in for land access; it'll save you a lot of consternation trying to figure it out on the go. Also, as a Midwest whitetail hunter, I did not truly appreciate the range I had to shoot at or the wind I ended up shooting in (a lot heavier than for a 45 yard shot in a cedar swamp). Be ready to shoot at 200 to 300 yards.

Good luck.

• Banned
OP
bmf0713

bmf0713

WKR
Yeah. I have a gps with onx maps chip. Also bought the GIS maps needed for the area and got road lists and maps off the county websites. Going to go through and highlight county roads on the GIS maps for easier navigation. Gonna practice shooting out to 300 yards also. What's the best way to find antelope? Should we just drive around on the roads and try to spot them or should we get out and hike in one of the bigger areas of public land and find a water source?

Murdy

WKR
I'm no expert, like I said, only did this once. I tried both, saw more driving around. I was out later in the season when the pressure was down so that could have had an impact. I'm out of the loop for the weekend, but if you have any questions, I'd be happy to share my limited knowledge next week.

wapitibob

WKR
Yeah. I have a gps with onx maps chip. Also bought the GIS maps needed for the area and got road lists and maps off the county websites. Going to go through and highlight county roads on the GIS maps for easier navigation. Gonna practice shooting out to 300 yards also. ...

You're well on your way. Just drive and spot or when you find a spot that you can't spot from I like to get out and walk out a ways and look into those hidden areas. Good move adding the county roads to the gps.

Scotch

FNG
It sounds like you are on track. I'm not familiar with area 25, so I can't give any specific advice. I just wanted to wish you luck. If you like to read, the best book I've found on pronghorn is Mike Eastman's Trophy Hunting Antelope. All you ever wanted to know and more about biology, behavior, eating habits, hunting tactics, rutting habits, territorial habits, horn growth, and scoring. Well worth the price of admission imho. Let us know how the hunt goes.

Yep, I'm headed here for the first time too. I think it's gonna be a fun experience. I have the onx maps chip. From the research I've done, I think the most difficult part is going to navigate the public roads. We shall see...

• Banned
OP
bmf0713

bmf0713

WKR
I just ordered a unit 25 map from my topo. I should be able to make a stop at the BLM or fish and game office in Casper and have them show me what roads are public right?

That's if someone is there to help. I'd bet they will be pretty busy come that time of year. I'd try to get dialed in beforehand.

Smfigari

FNG
I know it has been quite sometime, but how did your hunts go on unit 25? I am looking at potentially hunting the unit this fall.

406life

Lil-Rokslider
I've hunted 25. Public land is crowded. The large chunks of BLM are not easily accessible. Stay away opening weekend. Expect to pay for private access.

Some say stay away from opening weekend, I say be there well before first light with a buck picked out from the night before. Shoot faster than the other guys on him also.

Closes thing you will get to a war zone here in the US. Our first time out we had two down by 7:30 first morning. High speed fun lol!!

Was there last year with a doe tag. It was a disaster. We went two weeks after the opening day still crowded, people hunting on top of each other, people shooting over each other. I thought is was going to be hard for unit 25 to be worse then unit 26, which was a shit show all its own. In 26 we were closing the distance on a group of antelope, just walking like normal people, about 200 yards into some BLM . We had two dipshits from Arkansas park right next to us and then run by us ,within 20 to 30 yards, to try to beat us to the group. The only positive is they managed to **** it up for everyone.
Another fun story from last year in 26, I filled my buck tag and as we were walking out to tag and quarter it out we had somebody shoot at the goddamn thing from the road. Twice, both missed. Which was quite an experience.

If you’re looking for a mad max/war zone type antelope hunt unit 25 and unit 26,that area north of Douglas, will be right up your alley. Good luck

Last edited:
That's what they are planning to increase a NR ant tag too approximately, all in the name of conservation right 🤔

I hope not. Antelope shouldn’t be that close in price to Elk. No offense to hardcore Antelope hunters but I can’t see myself paying much more than what they are now. I enjoyed the hunt and we tagged out on Bucks the first day, but it really is a different type of hunt.

IsThisHeaven

Lil-Rokslider
I hope not. Antelope shouldn’t be that close in price to Elk. No offense to hardcore Antelope hunters but I can’t see myself paying much more than what they are now. I enjoyed the hunt and we tagged out on Bucks the first day, but it really is a different type of hunt.
It won't be that close in price. The plan to increase antelope prices also includes an increase to make all NR Elk tag prices the current Special price which is $1,200 or $1,300 or whatever.

D.Blake

Lil-Rokslider
A ton of the roads that appear public are not. Wear orange and try to appear as un-pronghorny as possible at all times. I didnt think western NE deer season could get topped by crowds and hail mary shooting.

Rich M

WKR
It won't be that close in price. The plan to increase antelope prices also includes an increase to make all NR Elk tag prices the current Special price which is $1,200 or $1,300 or whatever.
Yup - one way to reduce the number of NR hunters.

Hoping to draw antelope this year and be done with this crap. Ya wait years and look forward to something and then they change to or at least threaten to change it every year. Bleh. One of these days this stuff is gonna stick and only the "truly dedicated" will go.

I've already done the combat antelope hunting - want a relatively peaceful hunt - well, less folks racing towards the goats than last time anyway.