Antelope Newbie Advice - WY

camo711

FNG
Hope everyone is doing great and I appreciate all of the forum insight on the Slide!

I had been buying points in preparation for my son to be old enough to hunt antelope in WY. We finally drew and I am working to make this experience the best and most enjoyable that we can.

I had a few questions if those with experience are able to help:
1- Timing - the season for the unit runs from mid September thru the middle of November and I have heard it is best to wait a few weeks to avoid the crowds but then others tell me that the animals will be very pressured by then. Is there a good rule of thumb on this in terms of what is preferred? We are a hunting family so working our way away from roads is of no concern

2 - Boots - Are full leather boots necessary or would solid traditional hunting boots with gaitors suffice for catcus? Others have told me that there is a ton of catcus and to not go out there unless fully prepared. I hunt a lot of chukar and wear snake boots in the early season but a pair of these for my son I imagine will not be the best for walking distances. Open to suggestions.

Thank you all for your help and hope everyone has a great season!

muddydogs

WKR
Most WY antelope country can be hunted just fine in a pair of sneakers as all your doing is strolling through the sagebrush so any good quality boot will suffice.

As for timing it works both ways depending on where you hunt, a lot of WY antelope country is checkerboard ownership with little opportunity to get more then a mile from the road so after the first few days the animals are getting skittish. If you happen to have some areas with larger chunks of public land chances are they will be hunted hard as well the first few days but the animals might settle down after opening week when less people are traipsing around on these bigger areas.

wyosteve

WKR
My caveat for cactus--don't get excited when you get on an antelope and just 'plop' on the ground without looking for cactus. Buddy of mine did that one year and I spent about an hour that evening with tweezers trying to pull spines out of his backside.

Jimss

WKR
In regard to cactus, just watch your step and where you sit, crawl, etc. and you ought to be ok. Some areas in Wyo have more than others. I worry about my knees, elbows, and butt (sitting down) more than my feet. Any leather boot should be fine. I often wear knee and elbow pads if I'm doing much stalking and crawling around. Bring your tweezers!

In regard to timing....about 85% of antelope hunters have harvested their buck by the end of opening weekend. Most tags go to Wyo residents that often hunt weekends so if you can avoid weekends towards the start of the season you shouldn't see many hunters. Some units obviously have a lot less public land so antelope often get pushed onto private. They may stroll back on public once things settle down. Some areas antelope may migrate out of to winter range. A unit that has gobs of antelope in September may be void of antelope later in the season if there is deep snow. The opposite can happen so it depends on the unit. There is no migration in some areas. Another consideration is rain and snow. Some country can turn to gumbo mud and be impossible to drive after it snows or rains. You may want chains and a shovel? This may be more of a concern in October. Some areas can get crowded with deer hunters once deer rifle season opens.

OP
C

camo711

FNG
Thank you all for the advice and the help! Great comments and suggestions that I really appreciate.

I hope that everyone has a great season(s)!