Wyoming unit 113 information

Drew a couple antlerless tags for my 2 kids for this unit. looks like great public access with lots of land to hunt, any tips for this unit?
the biggest question i have is should i hunt the opener? or wait until the middle to end of the month of october?
we have 3 tage doe fawn tags for this unit. we plan on tent camping in the unit, we have on eats, and dirt bikes, but would rather not take them, and just walk everywhere. thank for any tips or advice on this unit.

desertcj

WKR
Sorry, I can't help you as I've never hunted 113. What makes you think that there is great public access? My understanding is that the public access is poor to very poor for 113.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
Sorry, I can't help you as I've never hunted 113. What makes you think that there is great public access? My understanding is that the public access is poor to very poor for 113.

This is just a guess, but i know when i look on Wyoming Game and Fish's website at their interactive maps etc. it shows all kinds of roads accessing all kinds of BLM and other public land. But from the info i have kinda picked up on this forum and private messages etc., all of those roads may not actually be "public" roads and hence would be inaccessible. You would think they would only show the actual public roads on there.

again this is just a guess, as i have never hunted there, but through alot of "cyber scouting" and a phone call or two, this seem to be true for me

You are correct on the roads. That area is riddled with oil field roads and most are non public. There are a couple county roads that will get you on public. Iberlin ranch won't let you hunt without paying their outfitter. Not sure about the other ranchers. I am helping another member by getting some pics of goats in that area. I was hoping to go out there last week but didn't make it. Hopefully this week we will be doing our work and I will take some pics. I will also "try" to remember to make the county roads

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
wasatchcomm
hmm,,,every where i looked it showed pretty good access to all that blm land. i only need one access point i will walk the rest of it if necessary.
I'm more concerned about when to drive 17 hours with two kids to hunt for a week, when is the best time of that hunt to be in wyoming? not based on weather, maybe the least amount of people?

OP
wasatchcomm
dugout road? this is off interstate 25
county road 116 (light plant rd)off of highway 387 near midwest

looks like that would get me into bunch of blm land

dugout road? this is off interstate 25
county road 116 (light plant rd)off of highway 387 near midwest

looks like that would get me into bunch of blm land

You will need to make sure that is a county road. If it is not than you cannot take it. If it is on Blm or state you can take it to the end of the Blm or state. Feel free to pm me and I can give you my email or phone number.

OP
wasatchcomm
You will need to make sure that is a county road. If it is not than you cannot take it. If it is on Blm or state you can take it to the end of the Blm or state. Feel free to pm me and I can give you my email or phone number.

thank you for the offer i will send you a pm

The areas that are North of Midwest along highway 387 are the only easily accessible hunting. That large chunk of BLM that is on the western side of the unit, next to I25, is only accessible from 387 and would take a GPS and some serious walking to snake through to get to it.

Do a Google search for Johnson County Wyoming county road map. And one for Natrona county as well. Each counties road department has arcgis based maps that show what's a county road. If it's not a county maintained road, and it's on private, you cannot drive on it. If it's a county road, you are allowed to continue because there is an easement, similar to an interstate. Most of those roads that you see on BLM maps that go everywhere, are called "two tracks" and are not maintained by the county. Therefore, you can only drive those roads while they are on BLM or state. If the two track your on crosses private, you cannot continue. Hope this helps everyone.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
And I'm pretty sure you can only take the dirt bikes on the same roads that a vehicle can drive on. Granted a 4 wheel drive.

As far as hunting, I'd hunt the opening day. Find them the night before the opener. Put them to bed and be back there before the sun comes up.

Last edited:
Sorry I haven't gotten back to you guys about this. I have been busy trying to get our house sold and taking care of the wife since our dream home sold. It's been a rough week or so. Anyways. For those interested I have a PDF map of the county roads that I can send you guys. You will have to download another app but it will help you guys out.

OP
wasatchcomm
tank you for all the information, maninthemaze,wyobowhunter,204guy

i was looking for county map like the links you provided the other day and got sidetracked
i plan on being their for the opener as well. i figured i would get it done. sounds like this unit is not as easily accessible as go hunt made it sound. or as it looks on paper.....
i do have the on x maps so i should be abel to navigate through the different land restrictions, also
i plan on tent camping big 12 x20 tent,is this going to be easy to find spots to camp?

As far as tent camping. I'd find a spot to get out of the wind as much as possible. Last year in area 21, which is just right across I25 from 113, we had to move the trailer because of the wind. We ended up setting up in a valley, near a creek bottom. The wind still blew, but we weren't worried the camper would flip. There was a severe wind advisory with gusts to 60 and sustained at 45mph. Hopefully the wind won't be that bad this year. But I promise it will be blowing.

And I'd call the BLM office and order some paper maps. They are like $6 each shipped to your house. I'm thinking you'll need the "midwest" and "Kaycee" maps, but double check. They will have all State, BLM and private marked on the map.

Good Luck and have fun.

Also, you can camp anywhere your heart desires on BLM. But there is no overnight camping on State Land. Most state land has a fence around it, but you can still hunt it. Even land that has been leased for cattle grazing can be hunted. Just leave the gate as you find it.