2018 antelope help

Greetings everyone! I'm looking to hunt antelope in 2018 for the first time with a few friends and our 2 fathers. My dilemma is whether or not we should go with an outfitter or DIY. Here's the catch, the 2 fathers have bad knees and can't walk more than a few hundred yards (especially up and down hills), no body has any PPs (but we are going to buy one this year). I know the Eastern part of Wyoming has tough public access. I've been creeping around reading a bunch of forums and I know the kind of work it will take to DIY. I don't mind hiking in a few miles to hunt but the dad's simply can't. What do you guys suggest? Using an outfitter or DIY?

P.s.
I've already been looking at draw odds from this year, blm maps, county road maps, and the antelope unit map to try and pinpoint a decent location but it's tough. I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

kcm2

WKR
Nothing wrong with setting them up at waterholes to ambush one coming in for a drink. Generally, an outfitter has private land access, which means you're not getting bothered by the public land hunters. I don't know much about outfitters, but in a good area, I don't think you need one. I've killed as many antelope as anything, and never thought I needed an outfitter. The trick in antelope hunting is either sit in wait, or drive/hike until you find one you can stalk. The geography will dictate what makes sense, as well as the public/private land mix.

wyosteve

WKR
In your circumstances, I'd recommend getting an outfitter. Antelope hunts are not extremely expensive and you'll have fewer headaches if you know access and hunting methods for your dads are nailed down without having to hope your research for a DIY hunt is accurate. Just my .02.

I know several outfitters that can setup a hunt for people who are physically limited. Are you open to all Western States? Let me know and I will find you a hunt that fits your needs!
Mark Harrington
Full.Time.Hunts.
325-276-1414

Chaska

FNG
Antelope are great DIY hunts provided you get a tag in a zone with good numbers of antelope and public access. The problem I have found is it usually takes 2-4 years to get enough points for these areas. I am going to a zone in WY this year that should make for an easy hunt with my cousin who due to his bad knees mainly hunts from his pickup. He is a reliable shot out to 400 yds and will probably be done hunting by noon on opening day, but we have waited 3 years to get drawn.

If you want to hunt next year I think you will be best off to spend $2,000 - $3,000 per hunter to get onto land and in the meantime apply for areas for future hunts.

Essentially, the same problem for elk and deer. Everyone wants a tag for a zone with lots of trophies roaming around on public land regardless of the animal - the real holy grail. As far as I can tell, if you want to hunt anything bigger than a prairie dog now, you either pay, or wait to accumulate points. Even more so if you cross state lines. You can get decent antelope draws in 2-4 years, elk can easily be 5 or more years, goats and sheep - start applying at birth and hope you live a long life. My strategy - keep applying for elk and antelope and then pay to hunt what I am too old to ever draw or just isn't available by draw.

NateK

Lil-Rokslider
My dad and I went DIY this year for our first western trip (we live in Tennessee) and it was a blast. The unit we hunted was listed as limited public access but there was plenty of opportunity. I drew my buck tag with one point and we both drew two doe tags in the random type 6 draw. My dad has bad knees (he can still hump it but it hurts). I did all the dragging/hauling once the critters were down. We successfully filled all five of our tags in four days and could have done it within a half mile of a road even though I did shoot my buck 2 miles from the road. Shoot me a PM if you want more specifics and I would be glad to share.