Wyoming preference point question

Bagel_7

Lil-Rokslider
Hello Rokslide, I am heading to Wyoming to hunt antelope for the first time this year. I was given a tag by an outfitter because I won a contest. I didn't actually apply for my own tag. I've already begun planning a return hunt for my whole family for 2018. I'm having my family members purchase preference points this year to hopefully allow for them to draw buck tags next year. Here's my question, since I have a tag this year am I still allowed to purchase a preference point? Thanks in advance.

Not sure how that's gonna work. You might have gotten a land owner tag. Normally you can't get a preference point and a first choice tag in the same year. You would normally draw your second or third choice if you wanted to gain preference points. I'm not sure how that works if you get a landowner tag. I'd call the WG&F and ask them to make sure.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

wapitibob

WKR
probably.
The Statute says no points for drawing a 1st choice, full price, tag.

The system is very good, go online and try to buy. The option to buy that species point will be open or greyed out.

204guy

WKR
WY tags can't be transferred so you had to a acquire your tag through either the initial drawing or the left over drawing. If your tag came through your first choice in the main drawing you can't buy a preference point this year. Any other way you can. Really though just log into WY GF and try to buy your point it'll either let you or it won't.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

FURMAN

WKR
Without knowing what tag you actually have, as stated above, the best way to find out is try to buy points. If you can not it will be greyed out.

OP
Bagel_7

Bagel_7

Lil-Rokslider
Well as you guys suggested I attempted to purchase my point and one for my wife and it let me do it. Maybe because it is an outfitter tag, or maybe it allowed it but will catch the mistake and refund me the 30 bucks. Just FYI for those curious. I was able to purchase the point.

204guy

WKR
Do you actually have a tag in hand? There is no such thing as outfitter tags in WY.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OP
Bagel_7

Bagel_7

Lil-Rokslider
No, I don't have the tag in hand. The outfitter put in for the tag for me and has the tag with them waiting for me. But I had never applied for Wyoming and when I entered my info I did already have a sportsman ID.

wapitibob

WKR
He may have applied for you and gotten a leftover. You can look at your drawing results and it will show if that's the case. Also look at previously purchased items when in the "buy" section.

Look at your personal info as well.

OP
Bagel_7

Bagel_7

Lil-Rokslider
Got it, thank you. I went on and checked my draw results and I did get a leftover tag. So I should be fine being that I purchased a point for next year. With all that being said if you're still reading this thread what is a unit I can draw buck tags with 1 preference point next year. I'll have a decent size group and we want to camp, have the kids, and fill the freezer. I will also likely purchase OnX maps for WYO next year. Thanks guys. Lots of helpful advice so far.

wapitibob

WKR
look at the draw odds, both regular and special. You need to look at both preference point draw and random as your first choice is valid for both.

wytx

WKR
The special draw will open up some 1 PP units for you. Look at the drawing odds on the website for the special draw and scroll down to find the areas that were drawn this year with 1 PP. Most are in the NE and Northern part of the state but some down in the 40's can be had with 1 PP.
Possibly can draw in the random but can't bank on that .
Type 2 tags are not bad ones so don't overlook them.