A long wait for a great finish

CaseyU

WKR
Hey guys and gals just wanted to share my antelope adventure with you all. Flinging an arrow or squeezing that trigger does not cover everything needed from people like us. We need practice, research, scout, learn, live in the moment, and share. Hunting wouldn't me much if it wasn't an adventure. I hope you guys and gals enjoy. I sure did and I learned a ton.
First let me start with this was my first antelope tag and my first time I was available to scout and hunt in the month of august since I started my career as a firefighter. To say I was excited wouldn't even come close to the feeling I had/have.
I drew a fantastic antelope tag in Nevada. I spent a lot of hours, gas, and rubber on my boots hiking around this place looking at an abundance of wildlife. I planned on setting up a blind on one spot and then was really hoping to get some spot and stalking in, as that is what people like me need in our lives.
I set up camp the day before opener and walked into a couple spots to retrieve some cameras (all but 1). I had hundreds of pictures of deer and sage grouse. Not 1 antelope. I wasn't too worried as my last camera was in the spot! Opening morning started with an hour hike into my canyon holding water, a ground blind, and an sd card that needed to be looked at. I quickly got settled in the blind and started pouring over pictures. Antelope, Antelope, and some more Antelope. Here we go!!! So as I sat in the blistering heat thinking what the hell am I doing in this oven But then the first group comes in. It was a couple does and a buck. Let me interrupt for one second to tell you I have never been a trophy hunter. Just an opportunist who loves adrenaline and the entire part of a harvest. Back to it. they inch closer and closer into the water into about 40 yards and a wind swirl sent them over the hill to the next spot. Now that we got the wind switch out of the way lets get back to it. As I sat there questioning if I should have done anything different here comes the next group. 4 bucks with a great one leading. 300yards up on the hill feeding down. 200 yards and they start lifting their heads and coming in. They string a long cautious as always into shooting distance. The smallest one decided he wanted to go on a small adventure and almost walk an entire circle around the blind and let out a couple huffs. After a quick range on the lead guy at 47 yards I drew back and burned that pin in the shoulder of that animal. A release cracked off with what I know is a true arrow. That antelope dropped to its belly. I never would have guessed these antelope watched the eastern hunting shows and learned how to be like there long white tailed cousins. But now I do! They hung around for another 10 minutes not having a clue what happened but really wanted to find out, but never got within my limits. Over the sage covered hill side they go. That was close and I never felt one bit of remorse. I just had an opportunity at a trophy antelope and did my part and it just wasn't suppose to happen.
On to the next one. After a nice walk back to camp We finished the night with the best BBQ steak I ever had (that day) and a cocktail to ensure a great night sleep.
Day 2 I spend 10 hours in a ground blind questioning my sanity. There was many thoughts like: There is no sane person that can sit in one of these things in 100 degree heat without being a little altered in the head. OR I wonder how many pieces of stick I can throw across this blind and hit a bottle cap. You guys don't want to know how many. But the ultimate thought was how lucky I was to be sitting in the canyon with birds singing, chipmunks having races across the blind, and sage hen sipping water at 50 feet. The day wrapped up with another long hike back to camp without seeing an antelope.
Day 3 started out great because I was going to be on my boots all day glassing, planning, and stalking. It started with getting into this high brush on the end of a spring that had a couple different options on dipping out of sight and popping up where I needed to. I am not exaggerating when I say there was about 200 sage hen that flew over my head sounding like bombers to fill there bellys up with water for the day. It was an awesome sight. I watched as they filled up and walked very slowly into their rummaging places for the day. As I spend some time and boot leather working the top of some rolling hills I set my eyes on 2 bucks and I know one was a good one. I snuck into the drainage to get to a better look and put together a plan. As half the day went by sitting under some brush working for every inch of shade I could get until they worked into a good spot. Finally at 3 ish they bedded in some brush. I quickly made a move across the valley bottom into about 100 yards (there was a good wind) I dropped my pack and grabbed a decoy which I was kinda eager to see in action. I snuck in very quietly and slowly. I know I am getting close so I start analyzing every piece of brush hoping to see an ear or movement. Well this fantastic decoy which is not as stealthy as we are, bumps a small rock and 3 antelope startle out of there beds around 40 yards. The good buck stared at me completely blocked by brush but he just had to have a better look at the funniest looking antelope he ever saw... That arrow flew true and hit the spot. He ran 20 yards wondering what just happened and that is where he laid. As I walked up I can't explain the feeling. As I said before this was my first antelope tag. I couldn't believe the color, detail, and beauty of this guy. I couldn't have been more pleased and ecstatic to have the chance to harvest this animal. Thanks for reading and hope you enjoy.

OP
CaseyU

CaseyU

WKR
Photos
801a021af5fcee165b7529a203f457a1.jpg
655482182ef34788f0c8b1eaa03e05fa.jpg
6db4cfe4f8f5582b4568e849d16f031d.jpg
030ae928612528dc6d508fa32aee9697.jpg
7500b3d75b21c8e6ca15955711336912.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

UB270

FNG
Congrats on your hunt! Really enjoyed your story and a good looking buck too. I'll be heading down there in a couple of weeks for the rifle season.

OP
CaseyU

CaseyU

WKR
Superb. Congrats on a great hunt.
Thanks randy. Not gonna lie, I got a little excited when I saw your name in my notification bar. Always admired your hunting style and outlook on life.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk