NE New Mexico Archery Antelope this Weekend!

Hey Everyone! This is the first tag I have ever drawn out of state and feeling a little overwhelmed. I have been over to scout, but literally, I drew the conglomerate tag that covers almost the whole NE corner of the state. It's BIG!
So, other than OnX maps and GPS for precise work, is there a better a better general area/unit I should concentrate on than others? I like spot and stalk lopes, because I guess I am a weirdo and like punishment. I was successful in Colorado last year and know I can get it done, but...There are so many units involved with this tag, I was just looking for a little guidance, nobody's honey hole or anything. So, Kiowa GL or avoid that like the plague? Over by CO/OK border? Near i-25?
Also, does any one know a landowner than charges relatively cheap trespass fees? I have young baby and am not rich by any means, but I'll shell out a little bit if I have to.
Thanks for any help. I can offer SW colorado deer and elk advice in trade. I guided around here for 10 years.
JW

Last edited:

swampokie

WKR
There is a lot of state land around the town of Folsom in unit 57. Just sw of town would be a great area to look. All the area between raton and Clayton off the highway has goats on state trust land. I have saw some on the national grassland but by far the most were in the area in and around Folsom. Also don't overlook areas off of highway 456 east of baldy hill. It would be a good idea to have onx map chip for gps to find state land.

OP
BrokenArrow
Danomite, I'll check out your PM
Awesome, Thank you guys a whole bunch for narrowing it down for me. You have confirmed what I was thinking. I feel very blessed to even have the tag in the first place. I figured I'd stick my tail between my legs and ask for help, just to make sure I do that tag justice.

You shouldn't have a hard time finding good Goats. I hunt the okla side. Also some really good mulies and bulls north of Clayton.

OP
BrokenArrow
So, thanks to everyone who chimed in on the thread or otherwise!
All I can say is that NM has some amazing terrain and BIG pronghorn. I did not take one down. Mainly because I found a very heavy horned buck and got stars in my eyes. I kinda only focused on him, then ran out of time last weekend.
But, I do have a small issue to bring up. It concerns property boundaries. Please know that I never want to be the guy that trespasses. Here we go:
So, I was heading back to my truck after a failed morning stalk which was parked on NM state land. There happened to be 7 cowboys on horseback waiting for me. Not wranglers, but cowboys from a working cattle ranch that was adjacent. I know the difference.
Needless to say, I had followed my OnX to state land via a county road. Where the county road ends (which was not marked private) I proceeded up to the state land "island" which I was camped/hunting on. The guys told me I had trespassed and had already called the sheriff. I was a little bummed to here that. I guess someone before me f'd it up for all of us and the cowboys didn't trust anybody. Anyway, I yes sir'd and no sir'd until we became friends and all of us were laughing and smiling. I would rather be friends than foes. The sheriff came and told the guys that I had every right to be there. That's fine, but I had learned that the ranch had leases and landowner tags. I was a former guide in CO for 10 years and understand what it feels like to have public folks on the outskirts for your camp while your trying to make money with paying customers. Without a second thought, I told the guys I would take off and find a new spot.
I did lose some time relocating, but had an awesome experience/day finding a new spot. And big shout out to Danomite (Rokslide member) who helped me find a great general area to settle on.
Northern NM is beautiful, the people are awesome, the ecosystem is way more diverse than I imagined. It's just a good place to be. I'm headed back to night to close out the season this weekend and I'll write more on that later.
So, I have to ask: What would you have done concerning the landowner issue? Would you stay or go? Just curious...

Good luck out there!View attachment 56098

P.S. > I am also gonna post this on Hunt Talk to see what those guys think also

swampokie

WKR
So, thanks to everyone who chimed in on the thread or otherwise!
All I can say is that NM has some amazing terrain and BIG pronghorn. I did not take one down. Mainly because I found a very heavy horned buck and got stars in my eyes. I kinda only focused on him, then ran out of time last weekend.
But, I do have a small issue to bring up. It concerns property boundaries. Please know that I never want to be the guy that trespasses. Here we go:
So, I was heading back to my truck after a failed morning stalk which was parked on NM state land. There happened to be 7 cowboys on horseback waiting for me. Not wranglers, but cowboys from a working cattle ranch that was adjacent. I know the difference.
Needless to say, I had followed my OnX to state land via a county road. Where the county road ends (which was not marked private) I proceeded up to the state land "island" which I was camped/hunting on. The guys told me I had trespassed and had already called the sheriff. I was a little bummed to here that. I guess someone before me f'd it up for all of us and the cowboys didn't trust anybody. Anyway, I yes sir'd and no sir'd until we became friends and all of us were laughing and smiling. I would rather be friends than foes. The sheriff came and told the guys that I had every right to be there. That's fine, but I had learned that the ranch had leases and landowner tags. I was a former guide in CO for 10 years and understand what it feels like to have public folks on the outskirts for your camp while your trying to make money with paying customers. Without a second thought, I told the guys I would take off and find a new spot.
I did lose some time relocating, but had an awesome experience/day finding a new spot. And big shout out to Danomite (Rokslide member) who helped me find a great general area to settle on.
Northern NM is beautiful, the people are awesome, the ecosystem is way more diverse than I imagined. It's just a good place to be. I'm headed back to night to close out the season this weekend and I'll write more on that later.
So, I have to ask: What would you have done concerning the landowner issue? Would you stay or go? Just curious...

Good luck out there!View attachment 56098

P.S. > I am also gonna post this on Hunt Talk to see what those guys think also
I would have stayed there for the duration if that's where the bucks were. New Mexico is more than generous to landowners and big outfitters. I have had numerous experiences in unit 57 and 58 like u had. As long as I was in the right I would have hunted my butt off right there! I'm not sure why but this area seems to be the worst I've seen when it comes to locals claiming theirs and urs (state land). Good luck this weekend

OP
BrokenArrow
Hey, Thanks Okie. I might have learned a lesson on this one. And thanks for the suggestions about Folsom. I actually headed back towards Trinidad that way in the evening. I was surprised at how many prongs I saw in my headlights. I angling to head right back there this evening.
I appreciate your feedback, as I was just wondering what folks thought about that scenario.