Just starting to look at Wyoming in 2018/2019

Me and my hunting buddy are starting to look at Pronghorn hunting in Wyoming for either next year or the year after. We may take a lay of the land, scouting, vacation with the wives, whatever you want to call it, trip next year and hunt the year after. I guess my general questions would be:
Is it worth it to put in for the preference points?
If we do take a 'family vacation' next year and look around while we're out there ("Honestly, honey, I brought the binoculars and spotting scope so you can see (pick a tourist destination) better!!") what would regulars in Wyoming recommend we look at or who would we talk to while we're out there? Find a DNR office and talk to them, particularly helpful hunting shops, etc?
We just started looking at the information online this last week, so any guidance is appreciated.
(I would be driving from Georgia, my buddy from NE Ohio.)

Thanks
Niko

david_227

FNG
Short answer would be yes definitely buy preference points, for the small cost it's definitely worth it.

It potentially allows for options in the future for better units (more public land)

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

FURMAN

WKR
As already stated buy points. Just getting a draw unit that requires a point or two puts you in much better units. I would also suggest looking at the special draw but my goals may be different than yours.

wytx

WKR
With the number of PP you'll have by draw time I would look around the NE corner and the SC and SE part of the state. Maybe the areas in 40's -50's.
Look over the drawing odds to see which area can be drawn with 2 PP and go look at them.
Early in June gets you fawns to look at but bucks will be short then, it is not as touristy around in June. May see some snow too.
You can spend a week in Wyoming and pretty much circle the state and see everything. Yellowstone adds another week.

jwilkstn

FNG
I don't have anything to offer currently, but I'll be in unit 1 this fall for my first western, trip coming from TN. If interested, pm me in mid- October and I'll tell you what I learned...

spidr

FNG
buy pp and when you put in for tags make sure you have second and third choices if offered . I drew second choice this year which was great I didn't burn any pp and still building for next year

3rd or 4th for buying preference ponts. Also, talk to the Wyo game and fish about roads and private property. Some roads are public and some are private. I can give you the long version if you'd like but a game warden can probably explain it better than me. Also, plan on purchasing a GPS on the onXmaps chip. They are worth their weight in gold out west.

Just my 2 cents and worth the price charged.

Bagel_7

Lil-Rokslider
Buy the point. I'm a few months ahead of you and I'm planning something similar. I have a lot of research completed about odds, pref points, success rates, and private to public land if you want it PM me.

One trick to gaining preference points and still hunting is to figure out which unit you could get with 0 points and then put that unit as your second choice. Then have your first choice a unit that you know you can't get. You'll draw your second choice unit, keep your points, and accumulate another point. I should have done that the first year I hunted. I drew 21 with zero points two years in a row.

Just my 2 cents and worth the price charged.