2018 Wyo Antelope Unit Selection

Bagel_7

Lil-Rokslider
Alright guys, I have another questions for you. I won a guided hunt this year in unit 29, which got me thinking about planning a big family trip to hunt antelope next year in Wyoming. I am attempting to select an area for the hunt to take place and as of now I have never been to Wyoming. Right now I have anyone interested in going buying a preference point for next year. The map below shows all units in the state (from my research) with 100% draw odds for 2016 with 1 preference point (the highlighted units). So I will narrow my search to these units so we can make the trip in 2018.

Also this may serve as a guide/reference for other hunters wanting to make their first Wyoming trip but they're lacking information.

rn4sSWxl.jpg

Next from my research I checked all the highlighted units for private land % & harvest rates.

hGhJjJu.jpg

Obviously the higher the private land % the worse the units is for huntability, and based on some of the units harvest rates I would eliminate them immediately.

What I am looking for is who has first hand experience in these units. How is it accessing the public hunting land? What kind of terrain am I looking at (there will likely be wives wanting to hunt who may not do so well hiking in elevation)?

I DON"T WANT your honeyholes, just advice so that when I take my family out there next year I can show them all a good time and at the very least get them on groups of antelope with opportunities to take home some good meat.

wyosteve

WKR
Just a caveat-- Don't base a decision only on percentage of private land because the public land may not be accessible. Case in point, in unit 17 your chart shows there would be about 20% public land, but I've lived and hunted there and know that much of the 'public' land is inaccesssible because it's surrounded by private. A chart that indicates 'percentage of accessible public land' would be more useful.

hunt1up

WKR
I'll tell you one to cross off your list and that is unit 24. It is pretty much worthless for the public land antelope hunter. Many of the others you've highlighted are plenty good though.

OP
Bagel_7

Bagel_7

Lil-Rokslider
That is exactly why I posted this thread. If there is a resource I can check for accessible public land please let me know. I understand not all public land can be reached legally. Also thank you hunt1up first hand knowledge of units is invaluable to me at this point.

jwilkstn

FNG
One resource is that county's road map, available online. You can see which tracts of public land are accessible vs those that are not.