Archery Spot & Stalk Herd Bucks

dmlensch

FNG
Anyone have experience/tips/tricks for pulling a herd buck away from 30+ does and fawns?

I have been watching a large buck for about a week - same field every night. Does come in first for water/food and he follows in from private land. There is a little bit of terrain with about shin high grass in the field. I have tried to get into range but every time I close in he herds the does up and takes them to the other side of the field. They never spook far, just a couple hundred yards off then continue feeding.

I have a buck antelope decoy that I have used but it seems he wants to keep the does away from me rather than coming in to challenge the decoy. I'm thinking I should fold up the horns on the decoy so it looks like a smaller buck or a doe as I have seen him running off other young bucks near his herd.

Any other thoughts or tactics to use on him? My only other thought it try to set up on an approach route into/out of the field but they never seem to take the same route in.

Any help would be much appreciated! Would love to tag out with my bow rather than waiting for rifle season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if your in cattle country try getting behind a cow cut out and walk in sideways.they dont mind a cow that walks sideways. lol...

dmlensch, I feel your pain and have been in this situation a few times before. Here is my take and a few strategies that have worked.

Strategy 1. Get a good buddy with some hunting sense and take him with you. On the drive out there you layout all the scenarios and get a good game plan and then stick to the plan. In short the plan should work like this. You get into position where the herd goes when they move away from you and then get setup as best you can even laying down if you have too. Then have your friend put enough pressure on them to move away from him and hopefully into the area you are. Don't over think it, even ignore the wind.. just be ready, patient, and believe.

Strategy 2. If it allows, get as close to the fence crossing at it allows and then show your decoy, but only when the does are crossing. I know you said they take different routes but hopefully the use the same general area that doesn't limit your archery range. As the does go through use the decoy to close the distance and be prepared to take a shot just as he ducks under the fence. He should want to take the challenge then as the fence is the difference. If you have a call Chuckle as soon as you deploy the decoy and then cover ground like you are a buck making a charge. Note: If hes a jumper set up a little further away as it always seem that antelope that jump take a few lengthy strides after the jump.

Strategy 3. pick the area in the field with the most cover and lay down with decoy. let some of the does go by and then use the decoy to separate him from some of his girls. It will happen fast!!!

Best of luck.
Bearlodge

OP
D

dmlensch

FNG
Thanks for the help! Planning on taking one or two friends with to help. Feels like an old midwestern deer drive!

OP
D

dmlensch

FNG
Sorry for the delayed response. After chasing this buck through half of August and the whole month of September, I finally got a shot at him on 9/22. I set up over the crest of a hill where just his does could see the top of my decoy and he came in on a rope. Unfortunately he hung up at 65 and jumped the string when I shot. After a few more distant encounters, I gave up on my bow and took a smaller herd buck with my rifle on 9/30. I am still very excited to have my first antelope (and the jerky turned out great)! Thanks for all your help! Maybe next year I’ll get lucky with my bow.
1f68f831f15e37d8454e04cb111b6f8b.jpg

JWP58

WKR
Some guys setup on their scrape lines. They seem to denote a bucks territory and like a whitetail, often go back to scrape and piss.

Congrats on the harvest though.