First archery Antelope

Ok guys this has been one heck of a week!! I have been talking to my buddy Brett about doing this hunt for the last 4 years and it just has never worked out. Somehow I talked my wife into letting me head up to Colorado for a few days and chase goats 2 weeks before I spend 10 days in the Gila chasing elk. Not sure how I pulled that off.

The hunting was pretty slow this week, but that said everyone who came had shots at bucks. Hell I shot at 4!!!!!!

I am honestly convinced I wasn't supposed to kill any of those first few antelope. 3 months ago I lost my mom unexpectedly to a Asthma attack at 54 years old. This was the first hunt I have been on since she passed. This morning when I got in the blind I told my mom that I wish she would let me know she is ok by sending me an antelope. By 9:00am this buck and his group of 12 does moved in and bedded 100 yards south of my blind. I was supposed to get out of the stand at 12:00 to go get my cousin so that we could check out of our hotel and head to the airport. Well at 12:00 they were still bedded within 100 yards of me. So I txt Brett to see if he would pick up my cousin and run him to the hotel so that he could shower and check out. Realistically I could sit until 2pm and us still be able to make our flight. At about 1:00 the group got up and started coming in. The buck however knew something was up with the blind and would not come drink. About half of his does came in but he held back until the group started moving off. At about 1:40pm the group was headed back where they came from with the buck at the back. He dropped down into a ditch and I knew they weren't coming in and my only chance to kill him was to go after him. I grabbed my bow and hauled ass to see if I could somehow get a shot even tho he had 6-7 doe with him. I got to where I could see the does and started crawling on my hands and knees hoping to peek over the ridge and see the buck. I couldn't find him anywhere. I sat up on my knees and looked to my right and he was staring right at me walking to me. I pulled up my rangefinder and the distance was "to far." He was curious of what I was so he kept coming but was still "to far." After a few more steps I got my number that I knew I could kill him and moved my sight. He was facing me and I put my pin on the center of his chest. I made a perfect shot but before the arrow got there he did a complete 180 and my arrow hit him just in front of the right hindquarter. It hit the femoral artery as well as broke his back. I ran as fast as I could and put a few more arrows in him before he could expire, he was not getting up lol. I killed him at 1:27pm and we had to leave for the airport at 2:00pm at the absolute latest. Talk about last minute. With Jim(a guy hunting with us) having his bow blow up trying to draw on this goat at 30 yards and just how everything happened I am 100% convinced that my mom gave me this goat. She wanted me to know she is ok and I wasn't meant to kill one of those first ones. I have never been so emotional after killing an animal and this one probably means more to me than any animal I have ever killed.

I have to thank Brett. We have known each other for quite a few years and he is as good as they come. He helps guys out each year chasing these goats purely because he likes doing it. Brett thank you so much. Next time we need to hunt elk

7388baf93c62e1eabefd1ece789a45d6.jpg

26525fcdfa36be2728f47e8674b875ce.jpg

For the record a Kifaru duplex frame can easily pack out a full grown un-gutted buck antelope

e050b1b71814e8bb750355816c5340a1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
Congrats! Where do you go from here...that is a stud. Had to laugh about the 180. I have done the same thing and also had the arrow go through a dust cloud where the antelope was by the time the arrow got there. That is with a stickbow at 15 yards! They are fast critters.

CaseyU

WKR
Congratulations on a great goat!!! Great read. Thank you for sharing

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk