Pronghorn Scents

nilo80

FNG
I'm a traditional archer trying to plan a PH hunt in a few weeks. Any info on scents or lures? I need to get close and hunting water may not be my best option. Can't seem to find info on PH scents anywhere.

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
Just got back yesterday from WY. Two of us shot bucks with stickbows over buck decoys. They will definitely come over and check the decoy out. Lots of fun. I was in a treestand in the only cottonwood on the place. My buddy was in a ground blind.

I don't recall that I have ever heard of using scents for antelope. Do I understand correctly that you will be hunting in October? That time is usually very tricky as the rut is over with some herds coming together and starting to migrate. However, it can be good as sometimes the larger bucks will cruise through those herds and sometimes get on little knolls and will scan the distant bunches. This is a good time to be aggressive and go at them. You will find that you can get a lot closer than you think in these situations.

OP
N

nilo80

FNG
Just got back yesterday from WY. Two of us shot bucks with stickbows over buck decoys. They will definitely come over and check the decoy out. Lots of fun. I was in a treestand in the only cottonwood on the place. My buddy was in a ground blind.
So you just sat the decoys out in a spot you liked and they came in? Thanks for the reply

OP
N

nilo80

FNG
Yes it'll be in early Oct. Will still have some rut activity. I've got a buck picked out and a great watering hole in his area but he's just not coming in. Had lots of moisture in Aug but it's drying out. Water would be ideal but may have to have another plan

Gr8bawana

WKR
If there are cattle or horses in the area you can use one of those because antelope can't count who many legs there are. Just don't walk directly towards them, walk at an angle that will get you close enough for a bow shot. Make it look like you are walking past them.