Moo Cow Decoy

I have a muzzleloader hunt coming up and was curious if any of you fellows had any luck using a moo cow decoy to get in range. I have a doe tag and plan on trying this tactic for the first time. Any advice would be much appreciated.

OP
T
I just knew, with the wealth of knowledge on this sight, that some great antelope slayer would have useful advice or experience to share. thanks and will do!:)

Bryan B

FNG
It might work but it might not.

Are there cows where you will be hunting?

What kind of terrain will you be hunting? If it's hills and broken terrain you probably don't need it. If it's flat you might want to try it.

I would try to stalk as close as possible w/o using the decoy and if you can't get close enough for a shot then use it as a last resort.

Where I hunt in WY there are a lot of cows. I have a cow decoy but I have not needed it to get close enough to shoot an antelope and I've shot several between 125-250 yards. I have only used the decoy once and that was to cross an open area with antelope several hundred yards away.

Gumbo

WKR
Don't waste your money. Just use the terrain and play the wind, you will be fine. Personally, I'd feel like a giant douche trying to walk up on an antelope hiding behind a fake cow.

I didn't feel douchy getting my 9 year old daughter to 97 yards of this near b&c new mexico antelope. We used a homemade one I got from Ermine. It is just a silhouette of a cow out of styrifoam. Lightweight, cheap, and effective. She drew again this year and we will have the cow with us. I will use anything that gives an advantage

Attachments

• IMG_20170412_212214_106.jpg
    IMG_20170412_212214_106.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 62

Gumbo

WKR
I didn't feel douchy getting my 9 year old daughter to 97 yards of this near b&c new mexico antelope. We used a homemade one I got from Ermine. It is just a silhouette of a cow out of styrifoam. Lightweight, cheap, and effective. She drew again this year and we will have the cow with us. I will use anything that gives an advantage

Nice goat, and I don't judge. Just personal preference, I would rather rely on hunting skill. Besides, if the cow doesn't work you have pretty much showed your hand. Same as decoys or calling, go down that route and you have given up your presence to the animal. If they don't buy it they are most likely outta there and you are back to square one.

I have used the moo cow decoy and the buck decoy, though both were during archery season. The moo cow was not very effective, but the antelope buck decoy was crazy. The antelope would come right to it and even the does would come closer and wonder what it was.

Someone mentioned using the terrain and I think that is your best bet. I think if you can use a hill or something else to get close to them without them seeing you that is your best option. Antelope have great eye sight and if they are scared at all they run. That’s about it.

OP
T
no luck for me using the moo cow decoy although plenty of cows in the area. it actually scared them at 300 plus yards as soon as it came into sight. Back to belly-crawling those last 100-200 yards to get within range... or maybe try an antelope decoy?