Wyoming Antelope .243

I'm taking my .243 to Wyoming. Guide said 200 yds minimum. With shots up to 500 yards. What ammo would you go with ?
I'm thinking a light weight bullet will shot flat, and still go through an Antelope.

.243 has a lot of choices out there. Must be off the shelf, store brought ammo.

No real world experience, but if I were in your shoes I'd probably go with a 95gr NBT or Federal Fusions. If I wanted to get super fancy, I'd think about a Partition.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mlucashr

FNG
Killed many with 100 grain American whitetail. 95 grain fusions work well too. See which ones your rifle shoots best. And just my 2 cents but I've never had to shoot over 200. Most shots around 150. But I'm sure location will dictate that as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

desertcj

WKR
Do not go with a "Lightweight" bullet. The wind will push it around far more than the 95gr and up. I would do 95gr minimum. I'm shooting 105gr in my .243.

105 Berger Hybrids or Hornady ELD M. If you don't load I'm pretty sure both are available in factory ammo. They'll still have plenty of velocity for a flat trajectory at mid range and will absolutely stomp the light bullets past 300 yards.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I second what has been said about the "light Weight" bullet choice. I would look at offerings in the 95-105 grain range. Many of my friends and family have used the 100 grain hornady interlock with great results. These were handloads but should duplicate the American Whitetail rounds mentioned above. These should be cheaper so that you save a few bucks and then you can tip your guide if he gets you closer than 200. It is probably too short of time to really stretch the legs of the rifle and bullet choice but making sure that your rifle likes them will be paramount.

Use what your rifles sighted in at and go map it to 400 yards. Then erase the data past 300. Then if you guide tells you to shot past 300 tell him to get you closer.

300 yards and under wind drift from an 80gr TTSX to 105 VLD is a minimal adjustment

JWP58

WKR
I'm taking my .243 to Wyoming. Guide said 200 yds minimum. With shots up to 500 yards. What ammo would you go with ?
I'm thinking a light weight bullet will shot flat, and still go through an Antelope.

.243 has a lot of choices out there. Must be off the shelf, store brought ammo.

Im thinking theres no need to take a 500yd shot, even in an area with a ton of antelope (lots of eyes to bust you), a 200yd shot should be easy to come by. I've used the el cheapo 100gr powerpoint Winchester ammo with great results on Antelope.

Im ashamed to say I missed one at 94yds last week...

cowboy300

WKR
My 243AI is 13-0 for 1 shot kills on goats from 100-875yds using 105 Berger Hybrids if that helps your confidence. Cant help with factory ammo as I handload. Personally I would go with whatever shoots best in your rifle as long as its not a lightweight varmint bullet.

Chaska

FNG
I have taken a few goats using a Sierra 100 gr pro hunter. It seems to work best in my rifle. Unless you can accurately compensate for wind and drop out to 500 yds and have experience hitting at that range I would pass on those shots - and I do. Getting into position for that sub 300 yd shot is what the hunt is about, and what a guide gets paid for.

I think a 243 sighted in at about 275 yds is about the best compromise. A few inches high at 100 and 200 and a few low at 300. Drop another foot at 400. At 500 yds you will have 40 - 50" drop. I don't think guessing is a good approach to shooting an animal. And, in case you haven't been to WY, it will be windy during the day, enough to move a bullet more than a foot at 500 yds.

My 243AI is 13-0 for 1 shot kills on goats from 100-875yds using 105 Berger Hybrids if that helps your confidence. Cant help with factory ammo as I handload. Personally I would go with whatever shoots best in your rifle as long as its not a lightweight varmint bullet.

Agree 100% - The .243 is the most underestimated round on planet earth. Shot 500 and longer are very doable with the round. I have killed elk with my .243 and they piled up on the shot.

Check out HSM ammunition - they make a 95gr VLD and a 85 BTHP (the old Federal premium round). I have killed over 40 animals with the 85 BTHP and none have more than 5 yards. I have had the opportunity to cull animals (exotics too) for a MLD ranch for a friend. The .243 will do anything you want it to do.

With all that said, if you do not have practice with those shots, don't take them.

Trr15

WKR
Unrelated to the specific question, but I’ve killed plenty of Wyoming antelope. Do it every year. Rarely do I shoot one at farther than 100 yards. Shot my 2016 buck at 61 yards. They’re not hard to get close to. Just like anything else, use the wind and terrain to your advantage. Getting close is the fun part of antelope hunting for me. If you want to shoot from 500 yards, and can actually kill from that distance your hunt will likely be over before lunch time.

FURMAN

WKR
Unrelated to the specific question, but I’ve killed plenty of Wyoming antelope. Do it every year. Rarely do I shoot one at farther than 100 yards. Shot my 2016 buck at 61 yards. They’re not hard to get close to. Just like anything else, use the wind and terrain to your advantage. Getting close is the fun part of antelope hunting for me. If you want to shoot from 500 yards, and can actually kill from that distance your hunt will likely be over before lunch time.

I am not sure what the OP is after but Big bucks with a large heard of does are not easy to get close to. Yes in most places if you can shoot far the hunt will be over quickly but if you are looking at larger animals it is not like everyone says. I would suggest using the bullet your rifle shoots best.

cnelk

WKR
I reload for both of our 243's

For my varmit gun - Remington Mod 660 carbine - 42 gr Varget pushing a 55gr Nosler Ballistic tip.
Furthest ranged coyote kill - 610yds

Daughter's gun - Mossberg Maverick - 32 gr Varget pushing a 100gr Hornady Interlock BTSP

At 200 yds, she smoked this buck yesterday - the bullet expanded perfectly and passed thru the animal

Attachments

• IMG_0204.jpg
    IMG_0204.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 73
OP
Short Track
Anyone go to Gilette ? That's where I'm headed. & quite honestly, it'll be my 1st Antelope, so antlers don't matter to me. I'll take a doe, and hang it on the wall :)

frankrb3

WKR
I just got back from my first antelope hunt here in Montana. Tagged out on a decent buck opening afternoon. I felt the same way you do, didn't care about the size of the horns, just wanted to get an antelope. Good luck man, it's a fun hunt and I can't wait to do it again.

Last edited:

Trr15

WKR
Anyone go to Gilette ? That's where I'm headed. & quite honestly, it'll be my 1st Antelope, so antlers don't matter to me. I'll take a doe, and hang it on the wall :)

If your goal is just to bag a goat, I’ll refer you back to my last post and definitely recommend that you have fun with the stalk and getting close. LOTS of antelope around Gillette. You can blow stalks all day long and still go home with one in the cooler. Have a great time!

cooperjd

WKR
what twist is your barrel? mine is too slow for the longer heavier bullets and have to cap mine around 95gr.

the last goat i shot at 361yards with an 80gr ttsx.

i've shot a few, from about 90 to 361. my pops has shot them from 80 yards to 387. the norm is on the shorter side. they are a lot of fun to chase around and try to get close to. they are not tough animals. i'd shoot whatever bullet your gun likes and you shoot well. you'll be fine.

OP
Short Track
I have a Browning BAR 10 twist. It was shooting flat out to 200 yards. But it's a hunting barrel, so after it heats up.... the grouping goes to sh!!t. So it's hard to practice.